BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating getting the Tech Package versus just the rear view camera and park distance control. We have a Garmin and the Google navigation built into our phones seems better than the X3 navigation as far as accepting voice commands.

Obviously having the built-in Nav is more convenient. The larger screen for the rear view camera and the advanced bluetooth are also pluses.

Is the Nav worth the extra $1800? I wonder if it will help or hurt resale in say 8 years. At that point it could be a relic and another thing to fail.

Thoughts? For those of you that have it, are you happy you got it?

· N54
3,592 Posts
In, say, 8 years it will add 0 to your resale value and may even detract from it (if it has failed or is failing). IMHO

To put this in perspective, go look at a MY2003 BMW or Mercedes and see if you or any buyer desires or values that epically obsolete nav now.

Assume your ROI is 0 and decide from there. If you get nav, get it because you value it and its convenience now.

$0.02 and YMMV

· Registered
189 Posts
I think that the Nav in the X3 works well. I only enter addresses with the voice command and I haven't run into any issues. Personally I would never by a vehicle in this price range that didn't have the NAV package. If you don't get the NAV in the X3 you get a smaller screen for iDrive but the opening is the same size and it just looks strange with the smaller screen. With the Tech package you also get TOP View which I think is fantastic and one of my favorite features in the X3. It is much better than just the standard backup camera in my opinion.

· Registered
183 Posts
You dont need any of it in my opinion. The X3 is very small and very easy to manuver. I have the whole package in my new Jeep and find it completely gimicky..If you need a sensors AND a back-up camera...perhaps you should choose a more suitable vehicle to match your driving skill (or lack of it?!?)

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You dont need any of it in my opinion. The X3 is very small and very easy to manuver. I have the whole package in my new Jeep and find it completely gimicky..If you need a sensors AND a back-up camera...perhaps you should choose a more suitable vehicle to match your driving skill (or lack of it?!?)
I suppose I don't *need* any of it, but the backup camera is nice when you have tons of neighborhood kids running around that are too short to be visible through the back window. The park distance control is mandatory with the rear view camera...I probably wouldn't get it otherwise.

· Registered
183 Posts
I forget, most people today do not know what their side view mirrors are for.
If you are accustomed to backing using your side view mirrors, looking at the center stack for another viewpoint is completely distracting.

· Registered
189 Posts
This is the first vehicle I have owned with a backup camera or park distance control. Prior to this BMW I used nothing but mirrors and turning my head but in certain situations I am finding that the backup camera is much better than relying on mirrors alone. I really like the top view system because it allows me to see my left, right and rear all at the same time.

· Registered
440 Posts
The nav system worked very well when we drove the X3 cross country. I'm sure a good Garmin would do an acceptable job, but having the nav system built in is very convenient. Now the back up camera is an option I didn't get, but wish I had. When I was driving my M3, backing up was quite simple, but the SAV is just a different animal and the camera would be very nice to have. The more you drive your X3, the better you get at it. But the extra technology is really nice to have.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
The quality of the map data in the Nav system is less than that on a Garmin. The programming options are less usable than those on a Garmin. I have yet to figure out how to tell the Nav system to avoid a traffic delay, rather than let it choose the ones to avoid. I hate hate hate the BMW Nav system data and options. But I do love the screen...

· Registered
322 Posts
I am debating getting the Tech Package versus just the rear view camera and park distance control. We have a Garmin and the Google navigation built into our phones seems better than the X3 navigation as far as accepting voice commands.

Obviously having the built-in Nav is more convenient. The larger screen for the rear view camera and the advanced bluetooth are also pluses.

Is the Nav worth the extra $1800? I wonder if it will help or hurt resale in say 8 years. At that point it could be a relic and another thing to fail.

Thoughts? For those of you that have it, are you happy you got it?
You are misinterpreting the purpose of the option that you refer to as navigation. It is actually the "central command console" for the vehicle. Navigation is just one of many many functions that it is used for. It allows for much better integration with all entertainment functions (radio, satellite radio, CD, USB), as well as telephone/address book and connection with many features of smart phones. Also, it allows for much easier access and control to system settings, options, profiles and vehicle status.

It is not simply a matter of comparing it to a hand held navigation device. It is an essential component of these vehicles, due to all of the other features that closely integrate with all vehicle systems. Navigation is just one small aspect of it.

Calling the central command console "navigation" is like calling a PC, an email machine.

Yes, you should get it. Don't be fooled by the bad marketing, where you think you are paying $1,800 for just "navigation". You aren't. Almost universally, those who don't get the "central command console" and thus end up squinting at tiny orange line displays, regret it.

· Registered
108 Posts
When i ordered my 2011 X3 35i, I chose the backup camera and didn't choose Nav. The only regret of not choosing Nav is not being able to copy my songs onto the built-in Hard Drive. The cameras work great. My TomTom gps is as good as the BMW Nav. Also, other Bimmerfest subscribers have been disappointed with the BMW Nav.

· Registered
39 Posts
The quality of the map data in the Nav system is less than that on a Garmin. The programming options are less usable than those on a Garmin. I have yet to figure out how to tell the Nav system to avoid a traffic delay, rather than let it choose the ones to avoid. I hate hate hate the BMW Nav system data and options. But I do love the screen...
I have been using smart phone navigations since last 10+ years and always dreamed of having an integrated navigation system to my car. I tried many softwares like Navigon, TomTom, Copilot, Garmin.... Each one has some features that other doesn't. Holding this smart phone unit in car is another issue, suction cups, hanging wires spoil the beauty of the car. I am too pleased with X3 navigation, I agree it may not have all the features of all the market available navigation apps but it has enough of them and is integrated to X3. It starts when my car starts, it locks up to satellites pretty quickly. One of the great features of this X3 navigation system is that it also displays turn directions on meters console, so one need not turn neck all the times to view the central console, wow it's a beauty. If one has little more money to spare, HUD can also be added to further ease your driving. I am more than happy with this integrated navigation and suggest to all that if you are buying expensive luxury X3, go for its in built navigation, don't ever think of saving money by going to hand held devices just because one particular brand has an additional feature.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When i ordered my 2011 X3 35i, I chose the backup camera and didn't choose Nav. The only regret of not choosing Nav is not being able to copy my songs onto the built-in Hard Drive. The cameras work great. My TomTom gps is as good as the BMW Nav. Also, other Bimmerfest subscribers have been disappointed with the BMW Nav.
You can't copy songs to the hard drive if you don't hav Nav? That is not what I was told by CA. That would probably tip the scales to getting the Tech package.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You are misinterpreting the purpose of the option that you refer to as navigation. It is actually the "central command console" for the vehicle. Navigation is just one of many many functions that it is used for. It allows for much better integration with all entertainment functions (radio, satellite radio, CD, USB), as well as telephone/address book and connection with many features of smart phones. Also, it allows for much easier access and control to system settings, options, profiles and vehicle status.

It is not simply a matter of comparing it to a hand held navigation device. It is an essential component of these vehicles, due to all of the other features that closely integrate with all vehicle systems. Navigation is just one small aspect of it.

Calling the central command console "navigation" is like calling a PC, an email machine.

Yes, you should get it. Don't be fooled by the bad marketing, where you think you are paying $1,800 for just "navigation". You aren't. Almost universally, those who don't get the "central command console" and thus end up squinting at tiny orange line displays, regret it.
Good points. I am leaning toward getting the tech package....it seems like I have talked myself into just about every package now. :)

I wonder if the Nav software can be completely replaced in the future if/when there are improvements....or does the hard drive just hold the map data?

· Road or Beach
276 Posts
Well, to be fair it is only recently that BMW added all these integrated apps and yes you need the Nav system to use them. If you were just looking at Nav I would pass (and did) the BMW Nav system is adequate but the their POI system is terrible. If you think you like all of the other gismo stuff then the Nav may be worth it for you. This time around I bagged Nav and even dumped my Garmin, completely using Navigon on my iPhone and it works great. With my iPhone plugged into the X3 the only drawback is if I want music and Nav instructions then I have to listen to songs on the iPhone.

Another way to look at this is the fact that many of the new models that use to include integrated Nav have started dropping it and treating it as an option. I was looking at a $45K RX350 this weekend, no Nav.

· Registered
11 Posts
Me and my wife went through the process of customizing a new to-order X3 2.8 2012, and tried to nickle and dime what we did and didn't need. I was not in favor of the Nav option.

Then - after not having made the decision yet - the last day of the month we decided to try to get a good deal by making an offer on one of the in-stock 2011's, we didn't have much to loose.

It came with all of the 'main' loaded packages (premium, executive, technology? of the top of my head), but we were able to get about $3000 off the list price.

And I have to say, I'm extremely pleasantly surprised with all features including the nav / technology. It's one of those things that once you experience it, you realize you want it, but on paper it just seems like a very expensive GPS? It's way more than that when all pieces come together.

martin
Canada

· Registered
6,616 Posts
One thing I noticed while navigating by smart phone as opposed to the "built in" nav was the "difficulty" in looking at the hand held screen as opposed to the eyelevel built in. I know there are holders out there that would alleviate this problem, but I didn't have one in the rental. Also I felt somewhat at risk "in using a cellphone while driving" which is illegal in CA and now being fairly frequently enforced (the state is broke) except it seems for teenaged girls who seem to be permanently attached to their cell phones -- usually texting!:angel:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.