BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Navigation value

3831 Views 28 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  sirgrotius
I am debating getting the Tech Package versus just the rear view camera and park distance control. We have a Garmin and the Google navigation built into our phones seems better than the X3 navigation as far as accepting voice commands.

Obviously having the built-in Nav is more convenient. The larger screen for the rear view camera and the advanced bluetooth are also pluses.

Is the Nav worth the extra $1800? I wonder if it will help or hurt resale in say 8 years. At that point it could be a relic and another thing to fail.

Thoughts? For those of you that have it, are you happy you got it?
See less See more
1 - 1 of 29 Posts
I am debating getting the Tech Package versus just the rear view camera and park distance control. We have a Garmin and the Google navigation built into our phones seems better than the X3 navigation as far as accepting voice commands.

Obviously having the built-in Nav is more convenient. The larger screen for the rear view camera and the advanced bluetooth are also pluses.

Is the Nav worth the extra $1800? I wonder if it will help or hurt resale in say 8 years. At that point it could be a relic and another thing to fail.

Thoughts? For those of you that have it, are you happy you got it?
You are misinterpreting the purpose of the option that you refer to as navigation. It is actually the "central command console" for the vehicle. Navigation is just one of many many functions that it is used for. It allows for much better integration with all entertainment functions (radio, satellite radio, CD, USB), as well as telephone/address book and connection with many features of smart phones. Also, it allows for much easier access and control to system settings, options, profiles and vehicle status.

It is not simply a matter of comparing it to a hand held navigation device. It is an essential component of these vehicles, due to all of the other features that closely integrate with all vehicle systems. Navigation is just one small aspect of it.

Calling the central command console "navigation" is like calling a PC, an email machine.

Yes, you should get it. Don't be fooled by the bad marketing, where you think you are paying $1,800 for just "navigation". You aren't. Almost universally, those who don't get the "central command console" and thus end up squinting at tiny orange line displays, regret it.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.