BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a voice command to cancel the guidance in the nav system? I know I can mute the voice with the steering column button, but the only way I know to cancel is to go through the menu and "uncheck" the address. This is really a pain. Can't I tell the NavLady to "Cancel guidance" or something like that without futzing with the I-drive mouse?

Thanks/Danke in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
let me ask you a question i just ordered a e90 with nav. how is the nav on your car? what pluses or minuses do you give it.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm in real estate here in San Diego and you'd THINK that I would use it all the time. I don't because I'm rarely in an area that's unfamiliar. But now when I'm in the suburbs looking for a house it makes it VERY easy.

You have to open the navigation menu and enter an address using the mouse and the alphabet. If the street is "Reynold St" you enter an R and then the nav system only gives you the next letter that would come after R given all the street names in San Diego. You don't have to go through all 26 letters each time. As you spell out the street name you can see a list forming that gets shorter every time you add a letter. Then you highlight the street name and push down on the mouse....and then push again to start guidance.

I'm sure I'm missing out on the voice-activation thing becasue I probably could just say "Navigation New address" or something but I use the mouse for the whole process. And yes I've done it while driving...it's not that distracting but I'm extra careful to check the road constantly when I do it.

So far the nav has been right on the money. Once in a while it might not make every turn that I would make (it might think it has a better way to get you there) but if you take a detour it automatically corrects and keeps you prompted to get to your dest.

Can't think of any minuses really. The cool rumor is that you might be able to get better versions (like bird's eye view) with an I-drive software upgrade at the dealer. And I don't think dealers charge for that because it makes the whole I-drive (not just nav) more up to date and takes care of bugs. The fact that they can improve you car with software is really cool.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Marcus -

Did you get a response on how to cancel the lady in the nav voice situation? I am wondering the same thing. Would like the map, without the "hey stupid, turn around if you can" every three minutes.

W J

MARCUS545 said:
Is there a voice command to cancel the guidance in the nav system? I know I can mute the voice with the steering column button, but the only way I know to cancel is to go through the menu and "uncheck" the address. This is really a pain. Can't I tell the NavLady to "Cancel guidance" or something like that without futzing with the I-drive mouse?

Thanks/Danke in advance.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sublimaze1 said:
Marcus -

Did you get a response on how to cancel the lady in the nav voice situation? I am wondering the same thing. Would like the map, without the "hey stupid, turn around if you can" every three minutes.

W J
No response yet. Somewhere in this forum there is a 14 or 17 page pdf file of all of the voice commands but I can't find it. Maybe the command is in there. I'm surprised BMW doesn't provide a little "pocket book" of voice commands...that would be really handy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MARCUS545 said:
No response yet. Somewhere in this forum there is a 14 or 17 page pdf file of all of the voice commands but I can't find it. Maybe the command is in there. I'm surprised BMW doesn't provide a little "pocket book" of voice commands...that would be really handy.
Here's the pfd I think you're looking for (13 pages): www.e60.net/information/E60_Voice_Commands.pdf
However, there does not appear to be a command to cancel the voice. I wish there was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.