BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
LOL, I'll get it just for the way it looks...I like the second wave on the dash!
Oh, e90, you will have the newer nav like on the 5 serice, I think they have added features, like "birds-eye view", and some others. But all in all, it's a great tool, and fun too. First time with made a mistake following the directions, she said "Please make a legal U-Turn" and the 4 of us cracked up with that. But we were all constantly amazed at how it got ut around Europe.

In the old days you would get some instructions, drive a few blocks and ask again, as you couldn't understand the long anwers in another language. This time I don't think we ever stopped for directions. If you get it and like it, I'll take that bier! :drink:

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
We'll just have to do Bimmerfest Canada in Montreal sometime at Hurly's Irish pub on Crescent Street!!!

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
The Nav system works great 99% of the time. What frustrates me to no end is that my house doesn't exist. Or rather it doesn't like to navigate down the main road that leads to my neighborhood. In fact on the map, you can't even see a line for the road. It detects the road name just fine. But if I try to navigate my way home, it has me taking all sorts of back streets in the neighborhood as opposed to taking the one main street that leads right to my house.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
The Nav system works great 99% of the time. What frustrates me to no end is that my house doesn't exist. Or rather it doesn't like to navigate down the main road that leads to my neighborhood. In fact on the map, you can't even see a line for the road. It detects the road name just fine. But if I try to navigate my way home, it has me taking all sorts of back streets in the neighborhood as opposed to taking the one main street that leads right to my house.
Are you running the latest map (2005-2) and software (4-1/50)? If so, fill out an error report here and wait for next year's map.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
What is the Route Magnet Option? For one thing, I'm glad my system takes me home when I need it. although according to the disk, my house is on the other side of the street. Ah.. that I certainly can live with. Does anyone know what the latest firmware version for the MKIII system is? I think mine says, 3-1-63.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Cliff330i said:
What is the Route Magnet Option? For one thing, I'm glad my system takes me home when I need it. although according to the disk, my house is on the other side of the street. Ah.. that I certainly can live with. Does anyone know what the latest firmware version for the MKIII system is? I think mine says, 3-1-63.
I believe the same firmware is used for both Mk3 and Mk4 systems... so what Terry said ^^

·
Registered
186 Posts
Usually the problem is the underlying map....

The majority of these systems, AFAIK, use Navteq maps. I just tried the same address on my Treo 650 loaded with a program called Navcard (since my E46 doesn't have nav at all) and I got two choices, both marked Oyster Bay--and they are two distinct locations on the map. On my system, I would have no way of knowing which one is correct--but the point is, the problem is really in the map, not in your nav system! I think for all of these systems, you have to take the address location with a grain of salt.

David

P.S. Since I'm moving to Commack from Florida in a few months, I'm going to have to learn my way around.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hey, welcome to the island and best of luck in Commack. I guarentee that you will be using your nav way more up here not only because it may be new to you but just because it's a very crowded place and it comes in handy.

dgkfl said:
The majority of these systems, AFAIK, use Navteq maps. I just tried the same address on my Treo 650 loaded with a program called Navcard (since my E46 doesn't have nav at all) and I got two choices, both marked Oyster Bay--and they are two distinct locations on the map. On my system, I would have no way of knowing which one is correct--but the point is, the problem is really in the map, not in your nav system! I think for all of these systems, you have to take the address location with a grain of salt.

David

P.S. Since I'm moving to Commack from Florida in a few months, I'm going to have to learn my way around.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Actually, I had a similar experience - I was looking for street XXX in a town of YYY. So I select YYY town, and then go to select a street - XXX is not there. After trying to approximate the address while driving (and I don't know the area), on 2nd attempt I find street XXX listed under "Township of YYY". Why is there separate town YYY and "Township of YYY" is beyong me - except to make my life difficult.

The other beef I have with the Nav is that it's getting confused (de-calibrated?) every now and again, and is placing me at a location one block away from where I am actually. Needless to say in those cases the instructions are all wrong. Then for some mysterious reason a day later it is precise again. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong - I'd go for Nav over no Nav anytime. But it's frustrating at times.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Exactly my feelings regarding your first remark.

Follow this: I always start with the smaller town and if I can't get the street to come up, then I move to the township because I know that the major street is on the damn disk. As my second attempt, when I put in the township, it finds the exact street I was looking for about 99% of the time!

Since it didn't have street XXX listed when I put in the smaller town, it makes sense to figure that when street XXX comes up within the township, that is the street you are looking for in the first place and that it's just not listed under that smaller town on the disk. Why that particular street IS listed under the larger township and NOT the smaller town is really beyond me. Now, since you couldn't find street XXX in the smaller town, and you did in the larger township, you run the risk of not being able to know whether there are multiple street XXX's within this township and it will bring you to whichever one it defaults to.

My theory is not that the disk does contain the streets. I've proven that it does. It's the way the data is organized on the disk that is the problem. Some streets are listed under smaller towns within townships and other streets are only recognized by entering the larger townships. That's the problem and it keeps screwing me from time to time where I live. But I still love the thing.... ugh. :rolleyes:

st_o_p said:
Actually, I had a similar experience - I was looking for street XXX in a town of YYY. So I select YYY town, and then go to select a street - XXX is not there. After trying to approximate the address while driving (and I don't know the area), on 2nd attempt I find street XXX listed under "Township of YYY". Why is there separate town YYY and "Township of YYY" is beyong me - except to make my life difficult.

The other beef I have with the Nav is that it's getting confused (de-calibrated?) every now and again, and is placing me at a location one block away from where I am actually. Needless to say in those cases the instructions are all wrong. Then for some mysterious reason a day later it is precise again. Go figure.

Don't get me wrong - I'd go for Nav over no Nav anytime. But it's frustrating at times.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cliff330i said:
It's the way the data is organized on the disk that is the problem. Some streets are listed under smaller towns within townships and other streets are only recognized by entering the larger townships. That's the problem and it keeps screwing me from time to time where I live. But I still love the thing.... ugh. :rolleyes:
That's it, "It's the data". That's why there are updates. And you should follow thru on that update site to tell them where the mistake is so they can fix it. Though in this case it seems to be fixed on a later, >2001 CD which is what you have.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Yes, a new disk could help. Maybe I'm reading your post incorrectly but it's not fixed on my CD. I have an early 2002 CD and it's incorrect. I will let them know that the street name should be under the correct town and that's why it doesn't come up when I type in town XXX. Most of my issues appear to be the organization of data on the disk. I am curious to know where Navteq originally get their maps from. I have Hagstrom maps from the 1980's that are more precise than Navteq's new maps. Most of the issues I have are with streets that have existed for decades and have had the same names in the same towns. Maybe it's sloppy work on their part. Whos knows...

e36M3r said:
That's it, "It's the data". That's why there are updates. And you should follow thru on that update site to tell them where the mistake is so they can fix it. Though in this case it seems to be fixed on a later, >2001 CD which is what you have.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Cliff330i said:
Whos knows...
Yep, but if you don't have the latest update, they will tell you to get it and then report it if it is not there. Same with any software, you can't really report bugs on old versions, perhaps it's fixed! And in this case we already have evidence it was fixed as it worked when Kris tried it.

I'll definitely be trying it myself in a couple of weeks, as soon as my car gets here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Very cool. Enjoy and best of luck with your car. Report back to us your impressions. Thanks for staying on the thread.

e36M3r said:
Yep, but if you don't have the latest update, they will tell you to get it and then report it if it is not there. Same with any software, you can't really report bugs on old versions, perhaps it's fixed! And in this case we already have evidence it was fixed as it worked when Kris tried it.

I'll definitely be trying it myself in a couple of weeks, as soon as my car gets here.

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
Are you running the latest map (2005-2) and software (4-1/50)? If so, fill out an error report here and wait for next year's map.
Yup. It's a 2005 BMW. I just picked it up in Europe in February. Granted my house is just one year old. But the main street has been there for years, and it still refuses to acknowledge it's there on the map.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
Yup. It's a 2005 BMW. I just picked it up in Europe in February. Granted my house is just one year old. But the main street has been there for years, and it still refuses to acknowledge it's there on the map.
Well, both the 2005-2 disc and 4-1/50 software came out after February (map in April, not sure about the software).

·
Color blind photographer
1,730 Posts
Cliff330i said:
Rather, the computer keeps screwing me over by bringing me to the wrong places. This happens about 40% of the time. I can guarantee it is calabrated and working properly too. For example, 79 Berry Hill Road, Syosset, NY.
You are not alone. I no longer trust it. Way too many times I've tried using it and its tried taking me on an absolutely wrong direction. I won't list the other issues about destination entry and user interface.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts