BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to set a destinatioon without having to go through the state city etc? For example, in my Lexus, if I want to go to the MCI center (I am in DC)I just type that in and a list of cities pops up. Just curious...

·
2008 BMW 550i
303 Posts
Simple answer: No. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
The true answer is that BMW Navigation SUCKS!

I was amazed the other day when I was meant to meet a friend at a very popular hotel chain and could not get the Navigation to find the hotel - in fact I couldn't get any hotels to come up. Good thing I wasn't on a long trip somewhere trying to find the nearest lodging.

I have a 65K car with the worst navigation made. Driving machine? - maybe, but isn't navigating part of driving?

·
2008 BMW 550i
303 Posts
Ok, it is not as good as others and can definitly be better for a 65K car. My wife's MDX Nav is incredible but then the Blue tooth interface is much better on the BMW since it automatically interfaces with my phone book on the phone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
550DC said:
Is there a way to set a destinatioon without having to go through the state city etc? For example, in my Lexus, if I want to go to the MCI center (I am in DC)I just type that in and a list of cities pops up. Just curious...
It's called the Verizon Center now. :angel:

·
Registered
862 Posts
If you know the ZIP, you can get to places like that - or bumble around through the "Info On Location" menus and maybe find it. We did "OK" like that on a recent trip out of town, but compared to other makers, Lexus for example, BMW is pretty far behind. The latest NAV is better than my 02 E39 M5 was, but that is not saying a lot.

Somethings I like better in the BMW: the screen is crisper and better looking and no smudges and glare from finger prints and poor positioning - and that I can operate the thing while driving. Also, a few times the Lexus seems to have spaced out and stopped guiding - or either I did something to screw it up - there are almost too many options with it and it is not always clear to me when or not it is actually guiding. And the voice recog is horrible - cannot use it - whereas the BMW understands everything I say and mostly without me really learning the proper commands.

None of these systems is perfect. The BMW latest NAV is terrible about selecting a good route - so far almost never picks the tried and true preferred routes you'd use if you really knew where you were. Seems like the E39 was better at that. Lexus gives 3 route choices - very nice option.

I have to wonder why these car companies are not using a major GPS company like Garmin or Magellan to do the NAV? Why not go with a leader who has been doing this stuff for years?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Acura Nav is very good - BMW should get one and take notes. The way you can easly scan over a map area with the joy stick is very fast and easy to use.

·
Premium Member
5,938 Posts
The Japanese electronics are great, no doubt...but then you have to drive their cars, too.... ;)

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
550DC said:
I would think entering the address, city, etc. would be better rather than the name of the business.

Businesses phone numbers, addresses, etc. change all the time thereby obsoleting your Nav disc very fast.

Although I admit entering the name would be nice, they would have to have some type of satellite updates to keep up with the all the businesses moving, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts