Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning to address the ancient nav system in my E85 with an aftermarket single din radio/nav system until I found out the issues with the DSP aftermarket upgrades. So I'm keeping the stock system for now but it doesn't hurt to have the latest software and more recent maps especially if it can be done on the cheap. In case anyone could use this info.

You can source the firmware from here (free):

http://e39source.com/downloads

I chose the OEM V32 wiithout the tweaks which is the last version issued by BMW. Installation was fairly simple. Just download the files and burn them onto a disc. I used a DVD-R disc. To install: Open driver door and leave it open throughout the process. Then remove the nav disc and insert the firmware. Turn the key to the on position and it should automatically update. There are videos on how to do this online.

As for the nav discs, the one's I have are the original 2005 discs that came with the car. I sourced 2015 versions of the discs on e-bay for $20 including shipping. Should be coming in a few days. At that price, 99% sure they're knockoffs but other Z4 buyers are confirming that they work. Hopefully they work without issue.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Can you flash between the 2 different firmwares for the mark IV? I have the V.32 (updated it a couple of years ago), but wouldn't mind trying the modified version. Would like to know if I can flash back to the stock V.32 if I don't like the other.

I was planning to address the ancient nav system in my E85 with an aftermarket single din radio/nav system until I found out the issues with the DSP aftermarket upgrades. So I'm keeping the stock system for now but it doesn't hurt to have the latest software and more recent maps especially if it can be done on the cheap. In case anyone could use this info.

You can source the firmware from here (free):

http://e39source.com/downloads

I chose the OEM V32 wiithout the tweaks which is the last version issued by BMW. Installation was fairly simple. Just download the files and burn them onto a disc. I used a DVD-R disc. To install: Open driver door and leave it open throughout the process. Then remove the nav disc and insert the firmware. Turn the key to the on position and it should automatically update. There are videos on how to do this online.

As for the nav discs, the one's I have are the original 2005 discs that came with the car. I sourced 2015 versions of the discs on e-bay for $20 including shipping. Should be coming in a few days. At that price, 99% sure they're knockoffs but other Z4 buyers are confirming that they work. Hopefully they work without issue.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to that question. My gut feeling is that you would be able to do so but I have nothing to support that assumption.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can you flash between the 2 different firmwares for the mark IV? I have the V.32 (updated it a couple of years ago), but wouldn't mind trying the modified version. Would like to know if I can flash back to the stock V.32 if I don't like the other.
You can keep installing the same version with additional modifications, but you need to use a hex editor and increment the version number of the image or it won't install since you're trying to install the same version #. There's info out there on how to do this here

I use the firmware with night mode and put a picture of my car for the splash screen.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You can keep installing the same version with additional modifications, but you need to use a hex editor and increment the version number of the image or it won't install since you're trying to install the same version #. There's info out there on how to do this here

I use the firmware with night mode and put a picture of my car for the splash screen.
Ah yes, I seem to recall reading about the incremental version numbers to allow flashing new FW.
Unfortunately, I just found out a couple of days ago that they stopped making maps for the E85 in 2013, so that's a bit disappointing :confused: I'd look at fitting a tablet in the mount, but I'm not sure if they've sorted being able to use the MFSW controls. Without that ability I probably wouldn't bother.
Edit - stopped producing maps for the version IV nav systems, as found in the E85. At least, for NZ. Not sure about the rest of the world. Anyone have a map newer than 2013?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Look at the bright side, streets don't change very often. The 2013 maps should be usable for quite a few more years and you can always use smartphone based GPS in a pinch.
Unfortunately there's a lot of rebuilding going on here after the earthquakes, including major road changes, so 2013 is really out of date. However, as you mentioned, I have a Garmin which I can switch between the official Garmin maps (with 'lifetime' free updates) or use the OSM maps which update weekly.
But it's always nice to be able to use the system that's built into the car. Nothing dates faster than car-tech...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently became the owner of a 2003 BMW Z4. It is a very basic model and one of the first things I noticed is when I start the engine, the screen pops up on a start page. That is it, the pages never advance. The radio comes on but there is no screen to see what channel it is on. I don't think the Nav or Bluetooth is working. Is there any place that would specialize in these issues?? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I am located in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I recently became the owner of a 2003 BMW Z4. It is a very basic model and one of the first things I noticed is when I start the engine, the screen pops up on a start page. That is it, the pages never advance. The radio comes on but there is no screen to see what channel it is on. I don't think the Nav or Bluetooth is working. Is there any place that would specialize in these issues?? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I am located in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley.
You might get more responses by started a new thread with the subject stating your problem since this thread is discussing firmware and map upgrades, not non operational a nav
screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You might get more responses by started a new thread with the subject stating your problem since this thread is discussing firmware and map upgrades, not non operational a nav
screen.
Thanks, I took your advice and it proved beneficial:thumbup:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thanks, I took your advice and it proved beneficial:thumbup:
Glad you got it sorted. Did you check to see if you have the latest firmware and maps? Even though the system is dated, it's so integrated in to the car and it will get you to your destination. The phone directory shows on the nav screen and who's calling when a call comes in. Add a Intravee II interface and you'll get some cool features plus ipod, HD radio integration. The extras menu provides allot of control of the electronics on the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. Did you check to see if you have the latest firmware and maps? Even though the system is dated, it's so integrated in to the car and it will get you to your destination. The phone directory shows on the nav screen and who's calling when a call comes in. Add a Intravee II interface and you'll get some cool features plus ipod, HD radio integration. The extras menu provides allot of control of the electronics on the car.
I haven't tried to use the Nav, since the disc is from 2003-2005. The CD player and radio work fine, and I got the screen working. I understand that I can get the upgrade on Ebay for about $20 each. I first have to find someone that is familiar with this system because I don't want to bother the guy over at Hi Tech Electronics.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I haven't tried to use the Nav, since the disc is from 2003-2005. The CD player and radio work fine, and I got the screen working. I understand that I can get the upgrade on Ebay for about $20 each. I first have to find someone that is familiar with this system because I don't want to bother the guy over at Hi Tech Electronics.
Unless you live in a newly developed area, the 2005 maps should be mostly accurate.

Upgrading the map is as simple as swapping out the old disc for the new disc in the nav computer.

Here's a link to a ton of info about your nav computer. You have a mk IV. I changed my splash screen to a picture of my car, added night mode and got rid the the accept screen.

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you PUNGO, I took a look at your link and it looks like I have plenty of reading to do:thumbup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts