BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - so a bit of help needed. I installed Standard Tools from the Bimmergeeks site. Everything works however today (for the first time) I decided to try my hand at NCS Expert. I'm roadblocked immediately as when I attempt to load a profile I can only select from "manipulation" or "factory coding". I understand there should be an "expert" profile but can't find it. Random googling brings up broken links. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Either will work.

·
Registered
905 Posts
All the profiles I have (BG's) show the "1" button. "expert" profile isn't included any longer.

Load the profile, click on edit and then VIN, ****, (upper right) and make sure all 4 function keys are checked. Then save it as another name.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, please clarify, if I select f1, then f2 (edit vo/fa) and enter my vin I get an error "the vin is faulty".

I see no function keys. Lost at this point.

·
Registered
905 Posts
F1 then F3. Select chassis from drop down menu (E89 for the E90's) and select a module. Then select BACK. If you're not connected to your car, you will get a 'faulty VIN' message.

Word of advise: With NCS expert you can easily turn your car into an expensive piece of lawn art. Make sure you read and understand the directions before attempting any coding. ALWAYS save the original read from your module as a write protected file, just in case.

Coding is fun, and really makes the car 'yours'. Just be sure you work carefully.

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Just to clarify, you have two profiles in the BG software, factory coding and manipulation. Factory coding is the same as expertmode, expertmoden, expert mode, etc. It is used for "default" coding a module back to factory settings based on your VO and to make changes to the VO. A profile can be named anything you want if you edit and change the name. Manipulation is the profile you'll use to actually make changes in the parameters of the module(s). It makes the changes "stick" so to speak.

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
Manipulation allows you to read files from individual modules
edit the file and put the edited changes back in the car.
Commonly called coding the car. Codes the module without
changing the VO.
This is the same thing as Revtors expert mode profile I believe.
The other one allows you to default or VO code the car back to
stock or whatever you may have set your VO to .
The VO is back up settings of what the car comes with .
Or if you have added a module or option to the VO then it has that in there
to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Manipulation allows you to read files from individual modules
edit the file and put the edited changes back in the car.
Commonly called coding the car. Codes the module without
changing the VO.
This is the same thing as Revtors expert mode profile I believe.
The other one allows you to default or VO code the car back to
stock or whatever you may have set your VO to .
The VO is back up settings of what the car comes with .
Or if you have added a module or option to the VO then it has that in there
to.
I'm sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a very specific question about what you are saying here...
I get that you need to do coding to modules (in my case CIC) in manipulation, but if you need to add an option to the VO, do you do that in factory config profile, or the default config profile?
Specifically, I need to add something to the VO ($3AG). So I opened factory config (in both CAS and NFRM and added it. It seems to be there as far as I can see, but I am trying to make sure.)

·
Registered
5,998 Posts
There really is no blank coding factory coding reloads your VO form the
CAS and FRM. However if you change the VO you do not have factory
coding in it anymore.

When you change the VO you still have not coded the module or modules it effects.
That is why you have to select the modules that a VO change has effected
and run Sg codiern on it or them(which means code the module)

Since the the Nav/idrive contains several modules in the case of at least the early idrive
all those should be updated.

I do not know the specifics for the various idrives.
These questions are better answered on the coding forums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts