BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The run of not being hit with ANY of the recall/TSB on both of my car is over. Washing my wife's car this weekend I discovered her driver's side door seal is torn. Otherwise NONE of the recalls/TSBs affected either one of our cars. Even the thermostat was in perfect working order despite the fact that both of our thermostats were part of the recall.

Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has the new door seal design put in and what the part number is. I need to bring my wife's car in before her warranty expires. :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, Hack. I jsut noticed one of my seals...

is broken for about 8 inches on the passenger side (Coupe). I figured it was from careless passengers getting in and out of the car. Even though I've had the car for over 2 years, I don't have a rear passenger often, so I was a bit surprised at the seal quality (or lack of). It this the same seal that you're talking about?:dunno:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hey, Hack. I jsut noticed one of my seals...

P.M. said:
is broken for about 8 inches on the passenger side (Coupe). I figured it was from careless passengers getting in and out of the car. Even though I've had the car for over 2 years, I don't have a rear passenger often, so I was a bit surprised at the seal quality (or lack of). It this the same seal that you're talking about?:dunno:
I'll post a picture tonight if I can remember it...but it's the seal on the side of the door to prevent water from coming in through the door. The seal runs all the way around the door frame and the tear is right next to the door latch area.

I searched the archives here and someone mentioned the new seal design is in. Just wondering if someone has the part number so I can make sure the newer design is installed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup, that's what I got.

I just went and looked at it more closely, now. The rear part of the arm rest clips the side of the seal and seems to put a crease in it. THAT'S why my grey leather is all black by the door lock! I have to go in anyway to get my DME software updated so I can install my Shark software that's been laying on my living room floor for a month. Dealer's going to charge me for an hour of labor ($89). Ticks me OFF! Makes me want to drive 25 minutes to another dealership ($83/hour), but I don't think the inconvenience is worth it. The dealership that I don't like is literally 2-3 minutes from my apartment. I wonder if any of the independent BMW shops would have the most current software and work for less $$ per hour...

·
Ölmeßstabmeister
762 Posts
Hack -
I'm on the wait list for the new part -- since October and its still not in. I've heard other people have been luckier at getting it. Should be covered under warranty.

In the meantime, I'd recommend taking some clear packing tape (about 2 inches wide) and using it to compress the seal to keep the tear from getting bigger. I've done that - same piece of tape's been there since November. No problems with keeping the car water tight either.

EDIT: Talked to my dealer today -- they now have seals in stock (he says they make sure they are in stock now since its a common problem). I have an apointment in about a month (along with 1-year oil change). woo hoo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had my door seal replaced at the dealer last week. According to them, there’s no change in part. The problem is the alignment of the door. As the coupe door is rather long and heavy, after sometime usage, the door tends to dip a little causing the interior panel to ‘bite’ the seal and breaking it.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
chan said:
Yeah I think glue helps. But strange, this problem mostly occurs at the passenger side. My is right-hand drive. Also don't see this problem on the sedan.
Mine is drivers side..or WAS, I had mine fixed with the new fix. The passenger side does it too..but every couple weeks I tap it pretty good all around with the palm of my hand :tsk:

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 01 330Ci shows no signs of the seal tear problem after almost a year. My car is a 5/01 production car. Maybe BMW started glueing the seals in place by that time.

Anyone with a late 01 production 330Ci have the problem?

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gs330Ci said:
My 01 330Ci shows no signs of the seal tear problem after almost a year. My car is a 5/01 production car. Maybe BMW started glueing the seals in place by that time.

Anyone with a late 01 production 330Ci have the problem?
Shoot, my 02/00 production 323Ci has shown NO signs of the seal tearing either after 2 years. And I NEVER even put any thing on these seals to protect them either.

While my wife's car was produced 04/00 it's developed a 6-7 inch long tear.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
The HACK said:

Shoot, my 02/00 production 323Ci has shown NO signs of the seal tearing either after 2 years. And I NEVER even put any thing on these seals to protect them either.

While my wife's car was produced 04/00 it's developed a 6-7 inch long tear.
No lubes needed..its from door smashing that baby into the car..ouch :thumbdwn:

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Dan,

I posted here when I found out the new design was out, and I think I posted the P/N as well. I had both of mine replaced and the driver side is working like a charm but the passenger side still require some slamming occasionally. I will definitely get them replaced when I'm up for service next time.

search the archive and u should be able to locate my post.

--Andrew

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
chan said:
Had my door seal replaced at the dealer last week. According to them, there's no change in part. The problem is the alignment of the door. As the coupe door is rather long and heavy, after sometime usage, the door tends to dip a little causing the interior panel to 'bite' the seal and breaking it.
Can you explain what you mean by the door dips ?

Also, my left side is the only door seal that had to be replaced. It's on it's 3rd door seal and it is finally not a problem.

BTW my car is left hand drive. I think the problem comes down to the amount of times you open & close the door and in both my case & yours, it is the drivers door with the problem

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
ayn said:
Dan,

I posted here when I found out the new design was out, and I think I posted the P/N as well. I had both of mine replaced and the driver side is working like a charm but the passenger side still require some slamming occasionally. I will definitely get them replaced when I'm up for service next time.

search the archive and u should be able to locate my post.

--Andrew
Have you rolled your glass down and stood outside your car and watched the door shut??? Its so obvious what is happening. THe seal on those were NOT glued on, so it works out. The more times you open and slam it works more out. So your door is smashing that baby into the car. If you knock the rubber back with you palm of your hand hard, you will notice you can shut the door perfect again :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alan F said:

Can you explain what you mean by the door dips ?

Also, my left side is the only door seal that had to be replaced. It's on it's 3rd door seal and it is finally not a problem.

BTW my car is left hand drive. I think the problem comes down to the amount of times you open & close the door and in both my case & yours, it is the drivers door with the problem
Actually I was sceptical of what the tech said earlier about the door dipping. CCs328Ci is right about the glue. I went back to the dealer yesterday (easy for me as my workplace is just across the road). Another service advisor (this one seems sincere) told me they glue the seal. But he added that they might try to shift the interior door panel although there's not much play.
My problem is only on the passenger side. In your case, it's your driver's door. I guess opening and closing does have some effect. My coupe is a year old today. Never see this problem with my 1998 E46 sedan.

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
chan said:

Actually I was sceptical of what the tech said earlier about the door dipping. CCs328Ci is right about the glue. I went back to the dealer yesterday (easy for me as my workplace is just across the road). Another service advisor (this one seems sincere) told me they glue the seal. But he added that they might try to shift the interior door panel although there's not much play.
My problem is only on the passenger side. In your case, it's your driver's door. I guess opening and closing does have some effect. My coupe is a year old today. Never see this problem with my 1998 E46 sedan.
I think its pretty crazy.. when I first had this happen and called BMWNA since I couldn't get it fixed.. They told me, NO fix. I could not have been more pissed. I ask, you mean they are still producing cars jsut like mine exactly, with these nasty door seals..I believe not.... Sometimes they have no sense at all. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.