BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
chan said:
Yeah I think glue helps. But strange, this problem mostly occurs at the passenger side. My is right-hand drive. Also don't see this problem on the sedan.
Mine is drivers side..or WAS, I had mine fixed with the new fix. The passenger side does it too..but every couple weeks I tap it pretty good all around with the palm of my hand :tsk:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
The HACK said:

Shoot, my 02/00 production 323Ci has shown NO signs of the seal tearing either after 2 years. And I NEVER even put any thing on these seals to protect them either.

While my wife's car was produced 04/00 it's developed a 6-7 inch long tear.
No lubes needed..its from door smashing that baby into the car..ouch :thumbdwn:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
ayn said:
Dan,

I posted here when I found out the new design was out, and I think I posted the P/N as well. I had both of mine replaced and the driver side is working like a charm but the passenger side still require some slamming occasionally. I will definitely get them replaced when I'm up for service next time.

search the archive and u should be able to locate my post.

--Andrew
Have you rolled your glass down and stood outside your car and watched the door shut??? Its so obvious what is happening. THe seal on those were NOT glued on, so it works out. The more times you open and slam it works more out. So your door is smashing that baby into the car. If you knock the rubber back with you palm of your hand hard, you will notice you can shut the door perfect again :mad:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
chan said:

Actually I was sceptical of what the tech said earlier about the door dipping. CCs328Ci is right about the glue. I went back to the dealer yesterday (easy for me as my workplace is just across the road). Another service advisor (this one seems sincere) told me they glue the seal. But he added that they might try to shift the interior door panel although there's not much play.
My problem is only on the passenger side. In your case, it's your driver's door. I guess opening and closing does have some effect. My coupe is a year old today. Never see this problem with my 1998 E46 sedan.
I think its pretty crazy.. when I first had this happen and called BMWNA since I couldn't get it fixed.. They told me, NO fix. I could not have been more pissed. I ask, you mean they are still producing cars jsut like mine exactly, with these nasty door seals..I believe not.... Sometimes they have no sense at all. :dunno:

·
Formerly CCs328Ci
1,460 Posts
SilverBmw said:
I was one of the first to have this happen.

I had the same thing. It took my dealer 4 times to fix both sides. With my help and BMWNA we got it fixed.

Problem:

If you look closely at the inside of the door, there is a trim piece that is hitting the weather strip. It is the middle trim piece on the door. Heres a quick way to tell what the problem is. Lower your driver side window and close the door. You should be outside of the car. Now look inside the car where the door meets the weather strip. You should see a bulge in the weather strip. That trim piece that is hitting the weather strip is the problem. That's what making your door not close.

Solution:

The middle trim piece on the door should be moved forward (towards the engine). You will see what I mean. The dealer should know how to do this. Also the weather strip should be glued down a little bit. It is a very simple fix. If u have any questions just ask.
-SilverBmw
Boy that sounds mighty familiar... It sounds like me and you have went through this a lot. Why don't we go and work for bmw and get the rubber fixed ;) I've had mine working now for about 6 months, its still intact :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.