Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the chrome front grille for my X3 from roveractive (ebay seller). Any diy or tips on how to remove the old grille would be most appreciated. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
not to ruin your purchase.. but there are free chrome kidneys in your car already.. Remove the black plastic :p .. That part i dont know how to do.. i tried and coudnt do it .

·
Registered
252 Posts
X3 of Miami said:
not to ruin your purchase.. but there are free chrome kidneys in your car already.. Remove the black plastic :p .. That part i dont know how to do.. i tried and coudnt do it .
I personally don't think the "woody" chrome kidney grills look good at all. First you can see the holes where the black plastic would normally go. Second the grill is too skinny and shinny w/o the black plastic cover. I say just pay $100 for a set of new chrome ones or get a chrome kit from ebay. As for installation I think it is just a few screws that holds it togeather. I strongly suggest everyone on this board to purchase a SERVICE REPAIR MANUAL cd from ebay. It will tell you how to take anything in your car apart. It came in real handy when I installed my angel eyes. Good Luck
:thumbup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I don't get the "pull the front top painted portion of the bumper cover that surrounds the grills first" ...

exactly which part is that? the bumper cover isn't painted - is it?

I wondered how good those service manuals were. Are they the printed manuals or the ones on cd?

Thanks for the tips

·
Registered
252 Posts
HGX3.0 said:
I wondered how good those service manuals were. Are they the printed manuals or the ones on cd?
I got the one thats on a cd. I think they come in really handy and was worth the $15 I paid for it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mysticblueX3 - bummer, I checked ebay sites on service manual cds. They don't have cds formatted for macs, only window :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
80 Posts
i finally got theChrome Kidney grills... i love em.. its a nice way to be different from the rest.. BLing Bling. just need a set of chrome rims to match

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Has anyone got a step by step to remove the back plastic kidney for idiot like me.... PLEASE PLEASE (idiot like me tried and failed)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I tried to remove the old grille last night. Got to where I push in the tabs and the grille does not budge. Don't know which way to push tabs, but tried both and nothing. Worried I'm going to break a tab. Do you have to physically pry the grille from the frame? then i worry about scratching the body panel. What do you think the stealership charges for the work? frustrated :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts