BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how they work, but I have two error codes and repair shops want $110 each just to read the tool. I guess I should just buy one. I am thinking that the error code comes up and then you ask for more info which shows on the screen. One of the errors is Automatic Stability Control. I Googled it and supposedly the diagnostic tool can tell you which wheel is effected, and you press a button and it tells you what the problem is. I don't expect to use it very much so would like to keep the purchase price down. I do think I will need the function which specifically tells me what the issue is. Any suggestions as what to buy? Would a OBD 2 II Diag Diagnostic Scan Machine do it? Thanks. Mike

·
Wingnut
3,881 Posts
creator 310 is a BMW specific reader, theyre around $70 online, ive heard of folks finding them a bit cheaper. itll read all the engine, body and chassis codes and and will give you live data to diagnose with. btw dont rely on a machine that will tell you exactly what the part is that needs replaced, elstwhise youll ending up throwing money at your car. once you get the code(s) come back here...theres a wealth of knowledge stored on this site as well as with people like edjack and others. a generic obd reader will not access the BMW specific codes, but will give you the engine OBDII codes only. there are others as well that will work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

great info. I found the same unit as Edjack told me about on EBay for eighty bucks. I questioned him about the ASC function so will let you know. What does that function do that the other units won't?

·
Wingnut
3,881 Posts
great info. I found the same unit as Edjack told me about on EBay for eighty bucks. I questioned him about the ASC function so will let you know. What does that function do that the other units won't?
not really sure what your question is..which function? if youre speaking to analysing, the abs asc etc. codes are BMW specific ones, not part of the federally mandated generic OBDII data. the OBDII data pertains to emission control items, engine performance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Functions

I just Googled all three codes and now see why I need specific functions. The OBDII data will do the check engine light but I need the ASC for that system. Very cool. Thanks again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Is your abs light on? And or just the ASC light.
You can check each wheel speed sensor by just removing each wheel one at a time. Look for bad cracked wire insulation/ harness. It's easy to remove the ABS sensor with an 5mm Allen key. (Can't remember ifs a5 or 6 mm)
Disconnect the connection in the black box. (Only use OEM ABS replacement sensor if needed) about $110 each.

If it's the ASC check the cable that connects the the ASC actuator next to the mass air flow meter under the hood
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1470453835.325461.jpg
Pull on this cable to make sure it's not broken.
I'm not sure if your car has it.

·
Wingnut
3,881 Posts
Is your abs light on? And or just the ASC light.
You can check each wheel speed sensor by just removing each wheel one at a time. Look for bad cracked wire insulation/ harness. It's easy to remove the ABS sensor with an 5mm Allen key. (Can't remember ifs a5 or 6 mm)
Disconnect the connection in the black box. (Only use OEM ABS replacement sensor if needed) about $110 each.

If it's the ASC check the cable that connects the the ASC actuator next to the mass air flow meter under the hood
View attachment 572456
Pull on this cable to make sure it's not broken.
I'm not sure if your car has it.
5 mm

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah well, maybe it's early for an answer but the guy selling the code reader has not written to let me know if it has an ASC reader. My abs is just fine, it is only the ASC. Thanks for all the tips, and that computer is the cats meow. Mike

·
Wingnut
3,881 Posts
abs and asc are closely interrelated, however each has its own sets of codes and issues. as do the other non obd systems on this car.what you need is a reader that is BMW specific.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
abs and asc are closely interrelated, however each has its own sets of codes and issues. as do the other non obd systems on this car.what you need is a reader that is BMW specific.
+1 you need something BMW specific

The creator310 is used by many on here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts