BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing a lot of searching and reading a lot of posts about various car seat scenarios, I need some advice from e90 owners that use child car seats in their car. Specifically, has anyone had any luck or experience with simultaneous use of a rear-facing infant seat as well as a forward facing booster i.e. an infant and small child in the car at the same time? Can they be next to each other, or do you need the middle rear seat to separate them? We have a five year old and are expecting a new baby... I'm worried that if we use a rear-facing infant seat in the middle position of the back seat... that a booster will not fit in either of the adjacent seats in the back.

Also, can anyone offer sound advice or information regarding side air bags and infants? Doesn't the 328 come with standard airbags in the rear? If we put our new baby in a rear-facing infant seat on the side, are the side impact airbags a problem?

I'm considering leasing my wife a new 328i sedan, but wanted to know more about other people's experiences with the e90s.

Thanks in advance for the input.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
not sure about whether your proposed configuration will fit, but side air bags are big no no.

Think about what would happen if the side airbag deployed into an infant seat. not good.

I think you can specifically *exclude* them as an option.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If I recall, according to the brochure, the side air bags are meant to protect the occupant from glass and debris that may make its way into the car.

Good question though. Most cars have side curtains (at least the ones I am considering) so this would be a problem for all cars if it actually exists.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
After doing a lot of searching and reading a lot of posts about various car seat scenarios, I need some advice from e90 owners that use child car seats in their car. Specifically, has anyone had any luck or experience with simultaneous use of a rear-facing infant seat as well as a forward facing booster i.e. an infant and small child in the car at the same time? Can they be next to each other, or do you need the middle rear seat to separate them? We have a five year old and are expecting a new baby... I'm worried that if we use a rear-facing infant seat in the middle position of the back seat... that a booster will not fit in either of the adjacent seats in the back.

Also, can anyone offer sound advice or information regarding side air bags and infants? Doesn't the 328 come with standard airbags in the rear? If we put our new baby in a rear-facing infant seat on the side, are the side impact airbags a problem?

I'm considering leasing my wife a new 328i sedan, but wanted to know more about other people's experiences with the e90s.

Thanks in advance for the input.
Two child seats or a booster and a seat, etc. in the back should fit (it will be a tight fit). I even have seen posts from people who had 3 kids in the back in 5-point harness seats (still can't believe they fit 3 seats in...).
I don't think you will be able to put booster and child seat near each other...

In addition, I think rear side airbags are optional, but even if they are installed, it should not be a problem. The issue with installing rear facing seats in front where airbag are active has to do with a special position the rear facing seat needs to be in to protect your kid (there is even a level embedded in some seats for proper installation). Off course, I would not recommend to anyone installing a child seat in the front even if you can disabled airbag….

Good luck!

PS. Added some pics to help you with your decision.

Attachments

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,908 Posts
The E90 does not have seat (or door) mounted side impact airbags in the back as it does in the front nor are they an option in the E90. It has curtain airbags. These should not be an issue no matter where you place the seat. With the addition of front-to-rear curtain airbags and the strength of the "safety cage" BMW considers rear side seat or door mounted airbags unnecessary.

BMW is probably one of the safest cars you can buy for your family. BMW uses a door anchoring system that has a reinforcing bar that hooks the front and back of the door to the body in a serious side impact, locking them together to make a more rigid passenger cell.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Two child seats or a booster and a seat, etc. in the back should fit (it will be a tight fit). I even have seen posts from people who had 3 kids in the back in 5-point harness seats (still can't believe they fit 3 seats in...).
I don't think you will be able to put booster and child seat near each other...

In addition, I think rear side airbags are optional, but even if they are installed, it should not be a problem. The issue with installing rear facing seats in front where airbag are active has to do with a special position the rear facing seat needs to be in to protect your kid (there is even a level embedded in some seats for proper installation). Off course, I would not recommend to anyone installing a child seat in the front even if you can disabled airbag***8230;.

Good luck!

PS. Added some pics to help you with your decision.
Hey, thanks so much for this post, really helpful. Really nice of you to go to the trouble of posting pictures too. Very much appreciated.:thumbup:

Oh, and I noticed you seem to have a seat protector under those booster seats. Looks pretty good, what is it and where did you get them?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The E90 does not have seat (or door) mounted side impact airbags in the back as it does in the front nor are they an option in the E90. It has curtain airbags. These should not be an issue no matter where you place the seat. With the addition of front-to-rear curtain airbags and the strength of the "safety cage" BMW considers rear side seat or door mounted airbags unnecessary.

BMW is probably one of the safest cars you can buy for your family. BMW uses a door anchoring system that has a reinforcing bar that hooks the front and back of the door to the body in a serious side impact, locking them together to make a more rigid passenger cell.
Thanks for this. I called BMWNA today before reading your post and they said the same thing -no airbags in the rear.

Yeah it does seem like a really safe car, very solid. A friend of mine witnessed a 3 series coupe (e46) get hit sideways by a bus in Santa Monica. He couldn't believe that the two girls inside walked away relatively unscathed. Car was totalled. I'm sure the bus slowed down a lot, but he said it was a totally scary wreck and the car held up enough to save their lives. :angel: Good to know.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone post a picture of a rear facing infant seat in their e90? Just curious how much space you might end up having between the back of the front seat and the edge of the rear facing infant seat in the back.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,908 Posts
Thanks for this. I called BMWNA today before reading your post and they said the same thing -no airbags in the rear.

Yeah it does seem like a really safe car, very solid. A friend of mine witnessed a 3 series coupe (e46) get hit sideways by a bus in Santa Monica. He couldn't believe that the two girls inside walked away relatively unscathed. Car was totalled. I'm sure the bus slowed down a lot, but he said it was a totally scary wreck and the car held up enough to save their lives. :angel: Good to know.
You should stop by a dealership and check out the door anchoring system. Quite ingenious and simple. I can't believe it's not an industry standard.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Hey, thanks so much for this post, really helpful. Really nice of you to go to the trouble of posting pictures too. Very much appreciated.:thumbup:

Oh, and I noticed you seem to have a seat protector under those booster seats. Looks pretty good, what is it and where did you get them?
Sure, no problem, glad to help. I know that visualizing the setup is an important step in decision making...

We use two different kinds of seat protectors. I use Munchkin seat protector:

http://www.babyuniverse.com/pro/baby/28197/AutoSeatProtector.html

And my wife's X3 has Super Mat protectors:

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Kids-Super-Mat/dp/B00006JK3R

This one looks pretty good too:

http://www.amazon.com/Kiddopotamus-...ZS7WU/ref=pd_bxgy_t_img_b/105-0631451-0822015

They both are good, but I like Munchkin better, as it's black, which matches the seats perfectly (the other one is gray), plus it's heavier due to use of more rubber in the construction (it makes it stay in place better).

Honestly, I don't recall where specifically we got them (we bought them at different times at some local stores), but they are really great. They saved me from spending hours cleaning up back seats, especially after the long trips.

I also tried some protectors for the back seat of the car (you'll get there soon enough :D ), but they were pretty ugly and did not hold for long.

Good luck! :bigpimp:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Can anyone post a picture of a rear facing infant seat in their e90? Just curious how much space you might end up having between the back of the front seat and the edge of the rear facing infant seat in the back.
There is enough room to put the seat in for sure (just move the pass/driver seat forward). The amount of comfortable leg room for the passenger or the driver really depends on how tall the occupant of the seat is. Keep in mind that rear facing is only and issue for a year or so (until your baby is 20 lb).

Very common position for rear facing seat is in the middle. That way you can still have two people seat in the back, etc.

I would have taken the pic for you, but I got rid of my rear facing seats a while back...:D

·
Registered
2,025 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,908 Posts
ah, excellent, i was looking for some leatherette pictures, i'm still debating whether to get leather or not
Get leather. No matter what "leatherette" (a.k.a. vinyl) owners say, there is a significant difference between the two and you can tell the difference.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Get leather. No matter what "leatherette" (a.k.a. vinyl) owners say, there is a significant difference between the two and you can tell the difference.
Get leatherette. No matter what leather owners say...:D

The point is, it's very personal. I did not get leatherette because it's cheaper, although it's nice not to pay for something you like :)

IMO the new leatherette is so good (compared to one in E46), it's nearly as good as leather with no side-effects of owning and carrying for leather interior (a lot better wear/tear)...

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
If memory serves me right, you can only have two outboard seats in the rear IF you are using LATCH. We put in a new convertible seat in mine last week (very small but very safe for kids above 30 lbs in case anyone is interested in some ideas) and I think there are only 4 LATCH points in the back. One on each side of the center hump and one next to each door. This just means you could put one behind each seat, but I do not think you could put two next to each other while still using the LATCH system. If your seat has the typical LATCH buckle, you can not fit two in the same LATCH point usually.

Someone with access to their car (as I am not near mine) may be able to correct me.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If memory serves me right, you can only have two outboard seats in the rear IF you are using LATCH. We put in a new convertible seat in mine last week (very small but very safe for kids above 30 lbs in case anyone is interested in some ideas) and I think there are only 4 LATCH points in the back. One on each side of the center hump and one next to each door. This just means you could put one behind each seat, but I do not think you could put two next to each other while still using the LATCH system. If your seat has the typical LATCH buckle, you can not fit two in the same LATCH point usually.

Someone with access to their car (as I am not near mine) may be able to correct me.
I believe you are correct about the latch points, but some systems just use the belt to secure the base for rear facing seat... You can also use the latches (not sure what they are called exactly) behind the head rests in sedan to secure front facing 5-point harness systems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Isn't that great

I have an 07 328. The latch system works ok, but I recommend that you take a swimming pool noodle and put a piece under the front portion of the base to help with the leveling(This was a recommendation from a CHP officer and it works great in all of my cars). Baby stores sell a noodle piece for like 12 bucks, but a swimming pool noodle is like 99 cents. The major inconvience of this car with a rear facing seat for an infant is that the passenger seat has to be moved all the way up to have it properly installed. The latch system also requires retighting often.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts