BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I need some advice. I've got a 2002 BMW 530i sedan with 105,000 miles that I've been trying to sell private party for the last 11 months. I've owned the car for 3 years and it has run great...until VERY recently. For several weeks I was noticing that whenever I would slow down/approach a stop I could feel the car catch or slip. So I took it to the shop and dropped a couple thousand getting Inspection 1, new brake pads, rotors, oil filter housing O-ring seal, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil level sensor, front control arms with bushings, washer hose & pump. I thought I was good to go, but upon leaving the parking lot the "service engine light" came back on and I went right back to the mechanic where he got a code for "torque converter clutch" problem!!

How much does getting a torque converter clutch replaced cost? I don't really want to put more money into this car since I've been wanting to sell it for months, but I also want to recoup the money I've put into the car and be able to use the sale towards purchasing a good trade-in car (Honda or Toyota).

Should I pay more money to get it fixed and THEN sell it or should I just try and trade it in somewhere? Do you think I'd have better luck selling the car private party with the torque disclosure versus doing an as-is trade-in? What would be the best route to sell this car?

What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

All advice GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

· Gearhead
1,154 Posts
A) No private buyer in their right mind is going to give you $$$$ for a car that needs a new torque converter. That's like buying someone else's problem. Thus, if you intend to sell it privately, then you must fix it first and then proceed to sell.

B) If you trade it in, the dealer won't care all that much whether the torque converter needs replacing b/c they can turn around and auction it off and pass that problem down the line. Thus, cars w/ serious repairs such as yours is best sold as a trade in on a new vehicle. :thumbup:

· Registered
906 Posts
Clear the code, drive it to a dealer for trade-in in 3'rd gear. Hope that in the short test drive the dealer does, the code does not set.

This is a known defect with this transmission. Mine went at 83K miles. Many others have experienced the same issue The torque convertor lockup clutch seal deteriorates and will not
hold pressure to keep the TCC engaged. You cannot replace the seal. You must replace the convertor. I was told that this was NOT a seal quality issue and with enough miles, will possibly see this again.

I have a post on this issue with the SBB bulletin
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409201&highlight=5hp19

· Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,079 Posts
To be honest, I'd pay the $1,500 to have a rebuilt torque converter installed into the the car and continue to enjoy her. You just dropped a boat load of coin into it, which you will lose if you sell....even worse if you trade-in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.