BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey; just bought a 2016 535d xDrive...it's my first (of hopefully many) BMW. I have a couple questions I was hoping some experienced owners could share with me:

1. I got the 20" 434M RFT, and have been hearing bad things about it in the other forums. Thr problem is, no one seems to agree on what to replace them with, and even fewer people discuss what they do with the old RFTs. Any advice/recommendations?

2. I've been reading a ton about tints...but nobody posts pics of either 30% or 25%. I'd like to get one of those, but haven't been able to see what they look like. Any chance someone could post a pic of theirs?

Thank you for any help you can lend this BMW nooby.

Cheers!:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Hey; just bought a 2016 535d xDrive...it's my first (of hopefully many) BMW. I have a couple questions I was hoping some experienced owners could share with me:

1. I got the 20" 434M RFT, and have been hearing bad things about it in the other forums. Thr problem is, no one seems to agree on what to replace them with, and even fewer people discuss what they do with the old RFTs. Any advice/recommendations?

2. I've been reading a ton about tints...but nobody posts pics of either 30% or 25%. I'd like to get one of those, but haven't been able to see what they look like. Any chance someone could post a pic of theirs?

Thank you for any help you can lend this BMW nooby.

Cheers!:thumbup:
Congratulations!

I would recommend driving on the run flats for a bit, as some of us think the hand wringing on the run flats is not nearly as necessary, especially on a 2016. Lots of people recommend michelle Pilot super sport tires for non run flat tires. Are those available in canada?

As for tinting, 30% looks good on almost any BMW color, but darker interiors tend to make tint look darker. Also, depending on the exterior color of the car, the tint can look darker as well. I am a fan of a uniform tint look (as in tinting all the windows the same amount of tint) as it looks more stylish to me. Others prefer to tint the back window darker than the sides.

Both are popular, so you got to se what you like. Its important to get a good quality tint product with decent heat rejection if you are getting the tint for more than looks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you!

Thanks for the quick reply! We have the Pilot's here in Canada...and those certainly review well...as do Pirelli tires. It's a lot of money for either set...so i'd like to be sure before i buy :D

My car is mineral grey with a black dakota interior and fine anthracite trim. By your reply, I'm guessing the 30% tints will be darker than with a lighter interior. Is that correct?

Here's my car specs (will post pics soon):

535d xDrive (F10, 2016)
Mineral Grey Metallic
Executive Edition
20" 434m RFT (staggered)
mSport package
Adaptive Drive
Black Dakota Leather
Fine Anthracite trim
Bang & Olufsen sound
Ceramic controls, sunshades (side, rear)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! We have the Pilot's here in Canada...and those certainly review well...as do Pirelli tires. It's a lot of money for either set...so i'd like to be sure before i buy :D

My car is mineral grey with a black dakota interior and fine anthracite trim. By your reply, I'm guessing the 30% tints will be darker than with a lighter interior. Is that correct?

Here's my car specs (will post pics soon):

535d xDrive (F10, 2016)
Mineral Grey Metallic
Executive Edition
20" 434m RFT (staggered)
mSport package
Adaptive Drive
Black Dakota Leather
Fine Anthracite trim
Bang & Olufsen sound
Ceramic controls, sunshades (side, rear)
Nice specs!

Mineral grey with black dakota will make the 30 percent look a little darker, yeah. If you went darker than 30 percent, a person outside would not be able to see inside. That may be what you want, and I am not sure what the window tint laws are where you are, but usually once law enforcement cant see you through the windows they get a little more strict about enforcing it (at least here).

·
Banned
10,015 Posts

Above 70°F/21°C, Michelin PSS is universally recommended as the best.

Below, All Seasons and where you are, maybe Snows, are better choices.

Recommend: Set o'wheels for Summer; another set o'wheels for Winter.

Tint: Get max allowed by law, your area. Yep there are laws.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys (or gals) for your input.

a) Sounds like the Pilots are the way to go by what I'm hearing. I'm in agreement with a set for the summer and another for the winters....guessing pilots for summer and Xi3's for the winter? Does anyone have first hand feedback on the RFTs? Are they that* bad of a ride?

b) In Canada (ontario) the rules for tints is really vague. There's no set %, so it's really subjective...basically whatever the cop is in the mood for. I hear a lot of people say "If they can't tell whether you're a boy or girl through the window, it's too dark." By that, sounds like 30% with my dark interior is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts