Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need advice on battery replacement

Folks, I need some advice with what I should do with the battery in my 2002 530i. I went on a two week long vacation and returned to a drained battery on my bimmer. The dash panel lights come on, but there is a click sound only when I try to start my car. I jump started my car and ran it for about 40 miles on the highway. After the run, the battery did not charge. I then put a trickle charger on it which I bought from the dealer. (the cigarette lighter type)

I plan to call up BMW dealer service department in a day or two. But was wondering if anyone of you would have any advice on this issue. Isn't the battery due for replacement since it has been in the car for 4 years? Not sure what BMW recommends about battery replacement. But my Lexus dealer recommends I replace battery every 5 years in my Lexus.

I am also wondering if I would succeed in rechrging the battery since it has drained to a level beyond which the battery may have lost its ability to recharge.

Thanks for any thoughts that you folks may have.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Most auto parts stores can test a battery to see if it is still good. Even if it is, a battery is a low cost preventative maintenance item that can cause odd gremlins when it starts to fail. I'd recommend replacing it either way.

I don't know the exact part numbers, but I know you can get the same battery without paying dealer prices. I don't remember where I got mine, but it has the same specifications as the OEM, same size, and vent tube and I paid about $80.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Its probably a size 49 Battery

I just put an AutoZone Duralast 49D in my 2000 540iT, Was about $70. Many have had good luck with this battery. Exactly the same size except about 1/2" shorter which did not matter (hold down clamp is on the bottom) and also includes the necessary vent kit. The vent comes out in a different spot on the battery but connects up fine to the existing plumbing with the included adapter.

I also saw a Bosch at PepBoys that was the correct size but was more expensive. If you bring the old one with your you will save the trip for returing the core plus you can compare size.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't lose your settings

I don't know exactly how it's done, but I think you're supposed to hook up an aux power when changing battery on these cars so you don't lose settings etc. Anyone know the procedure for this or am I :confused:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Not Necessary - you do not lose much

It is not necessary to keep the car powered when changing the battery. In my case (2000 540) the only thing that was lost was the time, date, OBC parameters (mpg, avg speed, trip odo) and the memory seat settings. None of these are a big deal. You do NOT lose radio presets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your battery...

Just replaced your Battery. BMW won't even take the Core so just go and purchase a new Battery. Thats the only thing I did when my Battery went bad on me. Saves more time and hassel. But I think it costs around $175 for mine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have a BatteriesPlus in your area, they have the battery. Its the oem battery and sometimes it still has the bmw sticker on the side. Runs around $110 with taxes.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
ahspao said:
If you have a BatteriesPlus in your area, they have the battery. Its the oem battery and sometimes it still has the bmw sticker on the side. Runs around $110 with taxes.
Actually, Batteries Plus is no longer carrying the factory OEM Douglas brand battery. They now stock the East Penn Manufacturing brand battery
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/automotive.html

The East Penn product appears to be of high quality, and is rated at 875CCA. They also offer an Absorbed Glass Mat variant which has a 900CCA rating, is totally sealed (no vent tube required) and is supposed to have a longer life than a standard type battery...of course it retails for about $40 more as well. Figure the standard one sells at Batteries Plus for around $94, the AGM for around $130 or so.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
540 M-Sport said:
Actually, Batteries Plus is no longer carrying the factory OEM Douglas brand battery. They now stock the East Penn Manufacturing brand battery
http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/products/automotive.html

The East Penn product appears to be of high quality, and is rated at 875CCA. They also offer an Absorbed Glass Mat variant which has a 900CCA rating, is totally sealed (no vent tube required) and is supposed to have a longer life than a standard type battery...of course it retails for about $40 more as well. Figure the standard one sells at Batteries Plus for around $94, the AGM for around $130 or so.
East Penn bought that entire division from Douglas except Douglas retained their contract to supply BMW. The standard battery Batteries Plus carries now is the same battery, but just manufactured by Eastern Penn now. Didn't know they added a ventless battery that fits the e39 now though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Indeed, the lead-acid type batteries do not like being completely discharged
and this may cause damage which will severely reduce the battery capacity.

However, if the dash lights came on i would say that it wasn't in the "deep discharge"
state yet.

Try to get it a good charge using aux charger and 14h current (ie. 74Ah capacity
battery will theoretically supply 74A current for 1 hour or 7.4A current for 10
hours; because efficiency of the charge-discharge cycle is not 100% you use x1.4
factor to get the "standard" charging parameters; 7.4A*10h*1.4 hours turns into

14 hrs of charging at 7.5A or
10 hrs of charging at 10A (roughly)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your advice

Many thanks to all who replied. What I did not indicate in my initial post is that I had a trickle charger on it and in spite of that the battery drained. I took it to the dealer and they indicated that the battery was defective and replaced it under warranty since the car had 2 week and 500 miles left from the original factory warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts