BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm considering the purchase of an '05 330 sedan in another state sight unseen in part b/c I'm moving to that state. I've checked with a few other dealers, and it's the only one in the color and with the options I want in that region of the country. The dealer wants me to contract for the car now b/c he thinks the car will be sold quickly and incentives are not guaranteed to last through April. This may only be a half truth, but I'm considering it nonetheless.

I gave him a list of conditions to attach to the sales contract that basically guarantee that the car is in working condition and that there's no damage to the body/interior. He won't do it b/c he's afraid that it's too easy to find something to nitpick and the dealership would have to jump through some hoops if I voided the contract. Valid point.

My question is, what kind of assurance can I get from him that the car won't be damaged between now and delivery? He's taking pictures tomorrow for me, but I want something that will guarantee that the car is in brand new condition and that they will fix the car if something's damaged. What's usually done in this circumstance? Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

·
Vendor
7,319 Posts
I've done a few deals like this and maybe one time did a client have an issue with the condition of the car (a small nick on the wheel). Other than that, what's there to be picky about on your part? It's a new car and it's the only one like it. Thankfully, the dealer is eager enough to want the business this much to contract you before someone else does. (A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.)

The assurance that you can get from them is that they park the car away from the main lot, put a sold sign in it, and lock it up. If you see something wrong with the car when you get there and it's a defect in material or workmanship, they can claim it under warranty. Other than that, I'm certain they'll try to do what it takes to amek sure your happy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
adrian's bmw said:
I've done a few deals like this and maybe one time did a client have an issue with the condition of the car (a small nick on the wheel). Other than that, what's there to be picky about on your part? It's a new car and it's the only one like it. Thankfully, the dealer is eager enough to want the business this much to contract you before someone else does. (A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.)

The assurance that you can get from them is that they park the car away from the main lot, put a sold sign in it, and lock it up. If you see something wrong with the car when you get there and it's a defect in material or workmanship, they can claim it under warranty. Other than that, I'm certain they'll try to do what it takes to amek sure your happy.
Thanks, AdrianBMW. That's very helpful.

Their cars are on an indoor off-site location, so I feel better in that respect. I guess I'm only feeling anxious because the dealer had it shipped from another dealership where I was told the car had 25 miles. Now, for some reason, it has 119. My dealer is saying that it always had 119 since they flatbedded it (and the mileage between the two dealers is less than 119-25). So, I'm a little leery after that news. Had that not happened, I think I may be much more willing to pull the trigger.

My question is ths: if i go to pick it up and there's damage (e.g., dent in the front bumper), what are my alternatives?

·
Vendor
7,319 Posts
buckerine said:
Thanks, AdrianBMW. That's very helpful.

Their cars are on an indoor off-site location, so I feel better in that respect. I guess I'm only feeling anxious because the dealer had it shipped from another dealership where I was told the car had 25 miles. Now, for some reason, it has 119. My dealer is saying that it always had 119 since they flatbedded it (and the mileage between the two dealers is less than 119-25). So, I'm a little leery after that news. Had that not happened, I think I may be much more willing to pull the trigger.

My question is ths: if i go to pick it up and there's damage (e.g., dent in the front bumper), what are my alternatives?
There's nothing they can't fix.

As far as the mileage is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In my opinion, the car is still brand new. Also, if it was dealer traded, sometimes the original dealer may have just guessed how many miles were on the car rather than actually looking after being asked about mileage from your dealer. SO when the car got there, and they looked at the mileage and noticed it said 119 rather than 25, there's really nothing they can do about it once the trade is done.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
A few pointers I would give is as follows:

Ask the dealer for the current ODO reading. Also, ask for the month of manfucture (it's on the B pillar). You want to make sure the car is reasonably fresh. Finally consider that in most states your purchase contract is non-binding until you take physical delivery.

buckerine said:
So I'm considering the purchase of an '05 330 sedan in another state sight unseen in part b/c I'm moving to that state. I've checked with a few other dealers, and it's the only one in the color and with the options I want in that region of the country. The dealer wants me to contract for the car now b/c he thinks the car will be sold quickly and incentives are not guaranteed to last through April. This may only be a half truth, but I'm considering it nonetheless.

I gave him a list of conditions to attach to the sales contract that basically guarantee that the car is in working condition and that there's no damage to the body/interior. He won't do it b/c he's afraid that it's too easy to find something to nitpick and the dealership would have to jump through some hoops if I voided the contract. Valid point.

My question is, what kind of assurance can I get from him that the car won't be damaged between now and delivery? He's taking pictures tomorrow for me, but I want something that will guarantee that the car is in brand new condition and that they will fix the car if something's damaged. What's usually done in this circumstance? Any tips would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Robert A said:
A few pointers I would give is as follows:

Ask the dealer for the current ODO reading. Also, ask for the month of manfucture (it's on the B pillar). You want to make sure the car is reasonably fresh. Finally consider that in most states your purchase contract is non-binding until you take physical delivery.
Thanks, Robert. Great tips. I've had the dealer check both already. ODO is at 119. Build date is late November of last year. Brand new car.

Where might I go to verify whether or not the purchase contract is binding until I take delivery?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I'm not an attorney...

...but California has no "cooling off" period on car sales. My guess is that the contract is binding when both parties or their agents sign it.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
The contract doesn't become binding until the customer takes possession of the car. A customer can sign the contract, and the next day change his mind if he hasn't driven the car off the lot.

b-y said:
...but California has no "cooling off" period on car sales. My guess is that the contract is binding when both parties or their agents sign it.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Don't sign a purchase contract until you see the car, just leave a substantial deposit on the car. And be sure the receipt identifies the car's VIN or stock number. Most reputable dealers aren't going to ask you to sign paperwork until the day of delivery anyway.

buckerine said:
Thanks, Robert. Great tips. I've had the dealer check both already. ODO is at 119. Build date is late November of last year. Brand new car.

Where might I go to verify whether or not the purchase contract is binding until I take delivery?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Robert A said:
The contract doesn't become binding until the customer takes possession of the car. A customer can sign the contract, and the next day change his mind if he hasn't driven the car off the lot.
Great advice as always, Robert. Is there some online source that can point me to the relevant laws (for California)?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Are you faced with signing an actual purchase order, or just placing a deposit? If the later, then deposits are fully refundable.

buckerine said:
Great advice as always, Robert. Is there some online source that can point me to the relevant laws (for California)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
actual purchase contract.

i thought deposits are nonrefundable? Why have I heard that so many times from car dealers?

That leads to my other question. I feel as if I ought to insist that everything be in writing (e.g., deposit taken over the phone). Is this going a little overboard?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.