BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Solved*

Having some serious issues with car in limp mode? after my coolant tube repair. Had a transmission fault and car will drive OK just doesn't have more than 2nd gear. So, I buy one of those k-line adapter cables from BCABLES and a Carly bluetooth adapter from Amazon.

Ok, so here is a little background before my woes:
Purchased the car from a friend a few months back knowing the transmission was out. My friend had the trans oil service done and the lines replaced, and a couple days it just quit on him. Actually what had happened I found out when getting it home was the trans oil line had partially come off the oil cooler, so I snap the line back on and fill the trans with fluid. Voila!
Ok, well the transmission never shifted perfectly but what the heck, it was fun to drive and I drive it a couple months, have an occasional Transmission malfunction error that goes away after restart.

Then the dreaded coolant pipe incident! So I stop the car after overheating and see That leak we all dread and tow her home. (I had already read up on this and had planned a future attack on the issue.) I figured while I'm in the engine, go ahead and replace the timing over gaskets, valve cover gaskets, spark plug tubes and a new water pump. My friend said the alternator was new so I left it alone. I had already installed new spark plugs a month prior as well and had just performed my first engine oil change. I also charged the new battery (NAPA Legend 75) at the battery terminals while the cables were off just as a precaution before firing it back up after the repairs.

So, after assembling the engine I flip the ignition switch to initialize the servos for the vct and whatever else needed to reset, actually I did this a couple of times and waited a minute between each (very cautious). The I fired her up. To my amazement, it actually started and ran OK, not perfect but OK. So I hook up the obd reader I had, grabbed a few cyl misfire errors and went back under the hood to replug all my sensors and coil packs. Smooth as butter idle! SO after warming it up, I decide to go for an easy spin around the block but the transmission malfunction came up when putting it in drive. oh no! I went ahead and drove it a very short distance thinking it would magically clear up. Seemed like it only had 2nd gear and would not accelerate much at all! Also tried manually shifting to no avail. So since I had already some transmission errors previously and the rough shifting, I decide to order some new solenoids, a Sonnax zip kit, four hose looking seals and transmission adapter seal that is recommended, and valve body separator plate.. Everything went smooth for that install, even the mechatronic sleeve wasn't too bad to remove or reinstall (didn't change it since it didn't leak). So after a fresh fluid refill, running it through the gears to ensure air bleed and warming the trans to spec per fluid level instructions, I try again. Still have the transmission error. So I try a drive again. Goes into gear a little hard in reverse but nice and firm engagements now. Still having the active steering and trans faults so I decide to buy the cable and Carly to reset everything. ughh No dice. The cable refuses to communicate with the car with INPA and the Carly does OK, I actually did some coding, battery registration on new battery I bought after purchasing car, and did a full diagnostic (after prior clearing the previous codes with my obd scan tool).I reset the faults and performed a second diagnostic to be sure. Below is my report, minus the German and insignificant stuff. Crazy stuff! No way can I have this many errors, didn't before the overheating issue with the odb scan tool. I suspected the battery (charged it some more after registration) and the alternator but battery seems to check OK with my multimeter. I did get a "Check battery cables" error after doing my diagnostic and driving the car to the end of the driveway as well (hence why I suspected the battery) but everything checks out OK?! Intelligent battery sensor? Cable left unplugged/not seated fully in ECU? Crankshaft sensor? Is there any advice someone can give? Where should I check? I'm at my wits end over this, and quite clueless even after scouring the internet an the forums for a hint/solution. Please Help!

Carly Diagnostics

Engine:
CAN timeout EGS Code: 002DCA

Air mass meter Code: 002D0F
Thermo-oil sensor Code: 005D60
Temp sensor coolant temperature Code: 002EEA
Camshaft control outlet Code: 002A88
VANOS camshaft control outlet Bank2 Code: 002A89
Camshaft control input Code: 002A83
Intake-VANOS 2 Code: 002A84
Ignition coil cyl. 6 Code: 002E29
Ignition coil cyl. 3 Code: 002E26
Ignition cylinder 7 Code: 002E2A
Ignition coil cyl. 2 Code: 002E25
Misfire detection error summation Code: 0029CC
Misfire detection cylinder 1 in 1 Firing order Code: 0029CD
Misfire detection cylinder 4 in third Firing order Code: 0029D0
Misfire cyl. 5 Code: 0029D1
Misfire cyl. 6 Code: 0029D2
Misfire cyl. 7 Code: 0029D3
Misfire Cyl. 8 Code: 0029D4
Misfire detection cylinder 3 in 2 Firing order Code: 0029CF
Misfire detection cylinder 2 in 4 Firing order Code: 0029CE

Power-management:
power failure Code: 002DEB
CAN message time-out monitoring ETC Code: OBD03 P320D
B Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1) Code: OBD03 P0015
B Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2) Code: OBD03 P0025
CAN message time-out monitoring ETC Code: OBD07 P320D
DV-abortion adjustment, because the environment Code: 002D03
DSC AFS exchange DSC signal invalid Code: 005F62
CAN error message Code: 00D358
Steering angle sensor Code: 005F0E
Right rear wheel speed sensor Code: 005E4B
Rear left wheel speed sensor Code: 005E3D
DME error: invalid values Code: 005F76
Airbag B-pillar left ECU OK, no Fault Code
Airbag B-pillar right sorry, unknown fault Code: 00991D

DSC / Brake:
Active Roll Stabilization DSC CAN error message Code: 00D358
Satellite front left door ECU OK, no Fault Code
Satellite front right door ECU OK, no Fault Code
Satellite B-pillar left ECU not present/no response from ECU
Satellite B-pillar right ECU not present/no response from ECU
Satellite center ECU OK, no Fault Code

Transmission Control:
Transmission / Getriebe GS 19 no response from ECU
Transmission no response from ECU
Gear switch / Gangschalter no response from ECU

Instrument cluster:
CAN signal fault transmission Code: 00A3AA
ID failure Code: 00A54E
ID failure Code: 00A54F
CAN signal fault indicator Code: 00A3B1
CAN signal fault DSC Code: 00A3B9
CAN signal fault immobilizer Code: 00A3AC
CAN signal fault missing Code: 00A3A9
CAN signal fault engine idle Code: 00A3AE
Central info display SV-block checksum incorrect Code: 00A46B
Brake light switch faulty Code: 00A58D
Light Stepper motor box fault Code: 009CBD

Immobilizer System:
CAS Supply Error Code: 00A0B2
Input P N signal fault from EGS Code: 00A0B1
Signal detection error rate Code: 00A0B5
Park Distance Control Inverter VL Code: 009E37
Inverter VML Code: 009E39
Inverter VMR Code: 009E3A
Inverter Board Code: 009E38
Active cruise control ECU not present/no response from ECU
Engine cowl Code: 00A69A
Hall sensors supply connector A Code: 00A692
Hall sensors supply connector C Code: 00A693
Temperature sensor of the pressure pump Code: 00A698
Exceeding the speed Code: 00A6A4
Communication with the airbag SG disturbed Code: 00A375
Leakage failure Code: 00A530

Systems: Gateway:
PT-CAN WAKE-info difference Code: 00932F
Steering column switch ECU OK, no Fault Code
Fuel pump sorry, unknown fault Code: 00612C
sorry, unknown fault Code: 006139
sorry, unknown fault Code: 006140
sorry, unknown fault Code: 006145
sorry, unknown fault Code: 00CE93
sorry, unknown fault Code: 00CE9A

Car Communication:
Computer CCC Ring break diagnosis error Code: 00E190
MASK ECU OK, no Fault Code
Steering column module: initialized position data Code: 009FED
Car Communication ECU OK, no Fault Code
Anti-theft alarm system: unknown failure Code: 009D00
Errors in the internal battery Code: 009D12
CAN fault Code: 00D947
Car Body Module TR failure Code: 00A43D
KBM under voltage Code: 00A409

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Sorry, can't help, but thoroughly impressed with everything you've done.
Only advice I can give is maybe cross check / post in E60 and E65 forums. These cars have a ton in common with ours and I've found solutions there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try that as well, and now curious about this IBS on the negative battery cable. Gonna check that tomorrow and see what's up. My suspicions are leaning towards voltage issues since everything worked well before my breakdown

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Problem solved, one of the green plugs in the ECU box had come unplugged. WTF? lol Drives great now, tranny a little hard on the shifts and especially the 2-1 downshift but 500% better than it was. Chalking it up to a dumb moment/mysterious event.

·
Super Moderator
8,500 Posts
It sounds like your fluid level is still just a little bit low. If you continue to get the failsafe warning, your Mechatronic Adapter is most likely hardened from old oxidized oil. The adapter is a 15.00 part, but the valve body needs to be dropped to access the adapter. You will always get misfires on the engine, after removing the fuel rails on the work that you did.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll recheck the fluid level. The mechatronic adapter was changed when I did all that other work, albeit the part needed slight modification to fit up in there (dremel tools are great). Seems all the other faults are gone, just the steering fault and the hard shifts. Doesn't the active steering come off the transmission fluid?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The stabilization system is in with the power steering fluid. Active Steering I don't know, but would be strange to be on tranny. I don't know of any system that shares with the torque converter/transmission fluid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it behind the coolant reservoir? I drained that tank when doing my repairs, as it was necessary. Liked like thick engine oil so I saved it and put it back when I was done. Not sure what this thing is, the manual didn't really say.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It is over by the coolant expansion tank, round reservoir. It says Pentosin chf-11s on the cap. That is the power steering reservoir.

·
Super Moderator
8,500 Posts
Thanks, I'll recheck the fluid level. The mechatronic adapter was changed when I did all that other work, albeit the part needed slight modification to fit up in there (dremel tools are great). Seems all the other faults are gone, just the steering fault and the hard shifts. Doesn't the active steering come off the transmission fluid?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
What kind of steering fault are you having? Did you have someone help you when you added the tranny fluid back in, it is very iffy if done by yourself. The steering fluid & the tranny fluid are on separate systems. If you are getting a transmission fault related to the steering, your fluid level is most likely very low in the steering reservoir. It does give that message, but it is very confusing to why it is stated that way. If the level is low enough to trip the level switch, it can effect quite a few modules. Good to see found your major problem, with a loose wiring harness connector.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
bought 2 cans of pentosin PS fluid and topped off that tank behind the coolant tank. All is well! imagine that lol Will flush sometime this weekend, that stuff
looks nasty.

I did all the mechanical work myself, even removing and installing the intake manifold and filling the tranny fluid. I purchased a hand pump for the filling, might try my electric pump with a jerry rigged switch next time and run the hosethrough some fiberglass sleeve and over the exhaust pipe. There has to be a better way, thinking of making a new fill plug with a ball valve and hose fitting for easy fill and fluid check. Perhaps a metal pan with some modification like that to eliminate all the mess.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the PDF, yes I filled it around 40-45C and it took a little more fluid. It still hard shifts and even at cruise it feels like it downshifts or stutters occasionally. I have no idea why it would do this unless it just needs a software update. I am guessing the torque converter is locking/unlocking? I never see the tach needle move when this happens. My 3-2 and especially the 2-1 downshift is a very hard clunk. The new solenoids made zero difference, nor the zip kit apparently, but once it gets going the shifts upward seem smooth and somewhat firm but not harsh. When I first start moving, it feels like it doesn't know to be in 1st or 2nd gear, then goes into 1st again and takes off normally, after a second or two delay. I hope I don't need a new transmission! Already sunk around $550 into it with parts and fluid.

·
Super Moderator
8,500 Posts
Did you have someone help you run thru the gears while adding the fluid? A 1/2 pint off makes a big difference. When running thru the gears & the RPM's up, it sucks more fluid up in the system. The only other thing might be did you reset your adaptations after the work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
was driving Friday night and shifting mostly in manual mode, and all of a sudden the 3-2 downshift issue went away! Now everything is nearly perfectly fine :dunno: Did my solenoids learn how to shift? Maybe something in the vale body finally broke loose and became unstuck? The world may never know haha I am a proud owner finally after my purchase! Final repair bill, <$1000 No more coolant issues, minor transmission issues and the occasional increased emissions error. Now all I need to finish is my coding for the aux input to my radio and add some subs to the trunk and I'm a happy camper! Thanks to all that offered advise and guidance

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently got the Carly obd and it***8217;s service but need a serious help to understand it if anyone can explain it to me is highly Appreciate it. I need to pass emission inspection for this vehicle ..

Fault Code: 002B70
Fault Explanation: CDKSUE 2B70 - variable intake system control
Fault Code: 002B72
Fault Explanation: CDKDISAT 2B72 - variable intake system, temperature alarm threshold
Fault Code: 002B71
Fault Explanation: CDKDISA 2B71 - Variable intake system
Fault Code: 002A15
Fault Explanation: CDKTESG 2A15 - DMTL, fine leak
Fault Code: 0029E8
Fault Explanation: CDKRKAT2 29E8 - mixture adaptation 2 idle time per
Fault Code: 0029F0
Fault Explanation: CDKFMAS2 29F0 - mixture adaptation 2, Total
Error
Fault Code: 0029E7
Fault Explanation: CDKRKAT 29E7 - mixture adaptation idle time per
Fault Code: 0029EF