BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just ordered a 335d and just realised I don't know the first thing about conecting an mp3 player (probably because I haven't got one, yet)

I just thought I'd get the kids to load some stuff onto an MP3 plug it into the aux socket and it would all work.

Looking at the threads on this it looks like I need to spend another £210 on the USB interface to make it all work. Do I?

The car is currently ordered with bluetooth and the 10 speaker upgared - do I need to add the USB? If I'm quick (like tomorrow) I MIGHT just be able to get this added in.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wickerman,

If you did not order the 6FL/USB/IPOD option, then you need an mp3 player. You can plug the output of the mp3 player into the AUX input. You can only use the mp3 player to select songs. With the 6FL option, you must need any USB thumb drive. You can control the selection using IDRIVE or radio.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You can go either way.

1) Using the standard AUX in jack you would be able to control the volume only of your MP3 Player from the steering wheel, iDrive, or the head unit. If you wanted to change songs or see what was playing you would have to do this directly from the MP3 player.

2) If you order the 6FL USB Interface you would be able to control all aspects of your MP3 player from the steering wheel, iDrive, or the head unit. Additionally all albums, with artist info show up on the iDrive screen or head unit display.

You don't NEED the 6FL to hook your MP3 player to your stereo but it makes things easier. It really just depends on the level of control you want.

* The AUX in jack is standard in the US. I'm not really sure if this is standard in UK cars, but assume so.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, the ipod option is great. the auxiliary port has a sort of dull sound to it where as the ipod when connected through the usb has a fuller dynamic sound. if you're a big music guy then get the ipod option. otherwise keep the 210 euros in ur pocket. good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks

Thanks, all, for putting me strtaight on this one - I'm popping in to my dealer today and will probably go USB (if I'm not too late). It seems a shame to waste the in-built car controls and the ability to play hundreds of tracks:) 'on demand' to save less than 1% off the car.

Thanks again

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 6FL option will also charge the iPod so there's no need for an additional charger.

·
Registered
745 Posts
IMO, the ipod option is great. the auxiliary port has a sort of dull sound to it where as the ipod when connected through the usb has a fuller dynamic sound. if you're a big music guy then get the ipod option. otherwise keep the 210 euros in ur pocket. good luck!
I wouldn't expect a difference. The IPOD cable still uses the aux audio input, seems like the IPOD is still sending an analog signal to the stereo. Using a a regular USB player/thumb drive will be sending pure digital info.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I wouldn't expect a difference. The IPOD cable still uses the aux audio input, seems like the IPOD is still sending an analog signal to the stereo. Using a a regular USB player/thumb drive will be sending pure digital info.
Sounds like the OP was interested purely in mp3 capability, nothing to do with ipod. That said, the USB option is absolutely fantastic. Sound quality is top-notch, and the interface through idrive is superb. Very glad I added it, albeit at the very last second possible before going into production :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Clarkcc1

Thanks for that (and all other responses) - yes it's all become a bit IPOD exclusive - I visited the dealer today and was advised to try the aux jack and see how I got on - USB is apparently avalable as a retrofit.

Seemed a fair point and I do end up saving the £210 - let me know if you think I'm being BS'ed.

Cheers

Wickerman

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Clarkcc1

Thanks for that (and all other responses) - yes it's all become a bit IPOD exclusive - I visited the dealer today and was advised to try the aux jack and see how I got on - USB is apparently avalable as a retrofit.

Seemed a fair point and I do end up saving the £210 - let me know if you think I'm being BS'ed.

Cheers

Wickerman
I don't think 6FL option can be retro fit just the previous iPod connection in the glovebox, I have 6FL fitted and once finding way round I find it first class bar the scrolling through artists etc always reverts back to "A"

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Hi Clarkcc1

Cheers

Wickerman
Your dealer is a bit confused. The 6FL is NOT available as a retrofit/dealer install. It is only available as a factory option when you order the car. There is, however, a less capable dealer installable iPod adapter. I would advise against it since you can order the 6FL for the same money.

In the scheme of things £210 isn't that much considering the price of the car. If you think you will be using an iPod or MP3 player often then it's well worth the money. If you will only use it infrequently and don't care about being able to change songs on the fly then you are probably OK w/ the standard AUX jack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts