BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to remove my front license plate holder because I don't need it in my state but I'm having a hard time finding the exact part I need. Since my car (2002 525i Sedan) has chrome trim around the windows and it's not the shadowline variety, it appears I need "51117005985" (Bumper Guard).

Here's a pic of the front end of my car. (I apologize in advance for the nastiness, it just got done raining.)

Question 1:

Taking a look at this diagram, are parts 4 and 7 the same length? Because in the diagram they look different whereas 3 and 4 look like the same length.

I'm 99% certain it's the right part because photos of others' cars don't show more than one piece. I just want to make sure I don't need something on either side of part 7. I'm most likely overthinking that they would draw the diagram to scale but with 3 and 4 "matching", I thought I'd ask you all.

Question 2:

If the part I need is in fact "51117005985", I saw a number of sites selling it, so no problem there. The only thing is, I'd have to paint it and I don't know how close I can get to the 2002 [black] paint job.

Any tips on how to paint this black and have it not stand out as a brand new paint job? Or in your experience, will it even matter? (This isn't a show car, I just don't want it to stand out glaringly.)

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I want to remove my front license plate holder because I don't need it in my state but I'm having a hard time finding the exact part I need. Since my car (2002 525i Sedan) has chrome trim around the windows and it's not the shadowline variety, it appears I need "51117005985" (Bumper Guard).

Here's a pic of the front end of my car. (I apologize in advance for the nastiness, it just got done raining.) {EDIT - to upload images from your phone, you may want to lower the resolution to approx 800x600...or find a photo sharing site that assigns a URL to the image that you can insert into the message box using image HTML tags "[ I M G ] pic's URL address [ / I M G ]" } :)

Question 1:

Taking a look ... are parts 4 and 7 the same length? Because in the diagram they look different whereas 3 and 4 look like the same length.

I'm 99% certain it's the right part because photos of others' cars don't show more than one piece. I just want to make sure I don't need something on either side of part 7. I'm most likely overthinking that they would draw the diagram to scale but with 3 and 4 "matching", I thought I'd ask you all.

Question 2:

If the part I need is in fact "51117005985", I saw a number of sites selling it, so no problem there. The only thing is, I'd have to paint it and I don't know how close I can get to the 2002 [black] paint job.

Any tips on how to paint this black and have it not stand out as a brand new paint job? Or in your experience, will it even matter? (This isn't a show car, I just don't want it to stand out glaringly.)

In the diagram above...#3 is the front license plate holder for Europe's long thinner plate, #4 is the plate holder for the USA states that utilize a front license plate, and #7 is the strip across the bumper for those that do not require a front plate.

YES...all 3 parts mentioned above are the SAME LENGTH despite looking different lengths in the diagram (illustrater apparently shrunk the size to fit everything within the illustration...especially over in the lower left corner) :dunno:

Items #5 & #8 are thin chrome strips that run along the top of the aforementioned license plate holders or plate delete strip if you car has chromeline vehicle trim...which doesn't appear in the pic you posted of your front bumper.

If the primed plate delete strip's color is so far off...have you considered inquiring at a body shop how much it would be to paint match the strip? Its so small...it probably shouldn't cost that much...especially since the color match is black. If not, as posted above, finding a spray paint probably won't be to difficult since the color is black. You could also give a paint shop your exterior paint color code...and they may be able to make up a small can of spray paint for you. You exterior color code should be on a label on your hood on the passenger side (if you didn't know)

{E39 exterior color code label location}

Name of paint is the name after BMW (in all caps...Imola Red in pic below)
Color code is in lower left (XXX/X...405/3 in pic below for Imola Red 2)
Base coat/under coat color is on 2nd line in small letters (Zeigel Red in pic below)...usually the color you see in the engine bay

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts