BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I glow in the dark
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , today I washed my car and I notice little spots of tar or greese and other werid stains on the car. I tried rubbing it with the car wash solutions but stain does not wash away, I also had little spots that look like rust it is sort of brownish but they were able to be removed with constant rubbing with sponge, I think there are easier way of cleaning this because I became really tired after the constant rubbing. what would you recommend for removing these stains with ? any special products that you guys used and worked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
Two things I have used:

1. Warm soapy water (obviously the cheaper and easier method)
2. One Grand Tar, Gum, and Wax Remover

With either solution, regular waxing of your car will make them come off easier.


Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
clay bar is your best freind =) not only does it clean it ***** and span for detailing, but it also gets rid of those little things stuck on your car like theres no 2morrow
 

·
I wanna DRIVE!
Joined
·
236 Posts
I would (1) try washing the car using dish soap and hot water; (2) use a bug and tar remover; (3) clay bar.

This process will remove any wax on the car, so be sure to put a good coat of wax on after you finish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
kbuicker said:
I've heard spreading peanut butter on the tar will remove it, don't ask me how.
And make sure to finish w. a coat of jelly :rofl: I am sorry, I couldn't help it :D
 

·
I glow in the dark
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AirFrcd said:
And make sure to finish w. a coat of jelly :rofl: I am sorry, I couldn't help it :D
lol.. people also said about adding vinger, sounds like we making a salad dressing here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
flyboyy said:
Hi , today I washed my car and I notice little spots of tar or greese and other werid stains on the car. I tried rubbing it with the car wash solutions but stain does not wash away, I also had little spots that look like rust it is sort of brownish but they were able to be removed with constant rubbing with sponge, I think there are easier way of cleaning this because I became really tired after the constant rubbing. what would you recommend for removing these stains with ? any special products that you guys used and worked.
What year and color is the car?

The brown spots that you are talking about could be rail dust that has embedded into the clear and over time they start to rust this creates the brown spots that you are seeing....most of this will be on the top of the bumpers.....The next is the grease spots and stains...to take these off without bring any harm to your paint I use mineral spirits....this can be purchased at any decent home depot type of store.....

The process for both of these are as follows.

Grease

at the wash stage using a good car wash soap take the mineral spirits put some on a rag and use that on the grease and stains..you want to let it sit on there for a few minutes rub a bit this will loosen it up, making real sure not to let this dry on the car...then with soapy water rub that area and rinse...repeat as needed some grease spots are harder than others.

Brown Spots & Grease that's left over

Clay is the trick this can be purchased at any decent auto parts store comes in a kit.....Mothers and Meguiars both are good OTC products....Once your car is washed and dry get the clay out it will come with a spray bottle of lube...working in panels at a time spray the lube on and then rub the clay on the car back and forth....it will start to remove what is on the surface...The grease spots and stains work those a little more this should remove every thing...dry that area and move on to the next panel.

Using clay is no real trick other than to knead the clay as you move around the car...you will see the clay start to turn brown this is the surface contaminants coming off...knead the clay and move on to the next panel.

To clean up your car next and bring back a nice finish a cleaner polish or wax will do the job...again a good auto parts store is the trick for this read the label for CLEANER on it....work in small areas on this one like 12 x 12 inch areas this allows you to get better control over the product and get better results.

Just as a note to the others that suggested hot water and dish soap....that's for the kitchen and cleaning dishes.

For the person that suggested peanut butter this works wonders on removing wax from grainy style trim...its the oils in the PB that dose this....the mineral spirits is an oil based product and will do the same thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
flyboyy said:
2003 530i silver
I asked this because on lighter colors the brown spots that I suspect are rail dust..embed in the clear coat

Here is a link that will show you what I am talking about the solvent wash they are talking about is the mineral spirits.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm

Another site that can help you is FK1 from Finish Kare its one that I use here on details for customers that need it

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm
 

·
I glow in the dark
Joined
·
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dboy11 said:
I asked this because on lighter colors the brown spots that I suspect are rail dust..embed in the clear coat

Here is a link that will show you what I am talking about the solvent wash they are talking about is the mineral spirits.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/reference/troubleshooting_guide/rail_dust/index.cfm

Another site that can help you is FK1 from Finish Kare its one that I use here on details for customers that need it

http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm
thanks for the info :). I have not waxed my car since I got it back in mar. I need to really give it a nice wax job because I want to keep that shinning silver look. I have never really wax a car before by hand are there any special ways to wax a car any guide or tutorials ? ^^.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,660 Posts
flyboyy said:
thanks for the info :). I have not waxed my car since I got it back in mar. I need to really give it a nice wax job because I want to keep that shinning silver look. I have never really wax a car before by hand are there any special ways to wax a car any guide or tutorials ? ^^.
Use a cleaner polish or wax on the car they are hand friendly....the only real trick is to work in small areas like 12 x 12 inch areas these allows you to keep good pressure over the product....rub the area until it starts to disappear this is breaking down the product and allowing it to work

A great site that I posted at for detailing and learning is

http://www.detailcity.org

free to register and read
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top