BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a fresh newb to this forum. i want to thank all of you and Bimmerfest for this wonderful thing.
with that out of the way,

i have an 02 745i

i have a low beam healdight not working on drivers, left side. so obvious first fix, i bought a new bulb. not the problem, swapped out bulb, igniter as a unit with the working one on right side. still no light action. next would be, the ballast, from what ive found and read so far.
my question is --> :What are the odds its the ballast?

i am trying to not have to take the bumper off more than once if i dont have to. i havent had to yet, so i am unsure what i am getting myself into. i have a funny feeling i am going to have to though. just to do the process of elimination. then order the ballast. and then pulling bumper off again to replace it.

just looking for the odds please. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
as well as help hints to taking bumper off as well. i did a search, and didnt get much results. as to DIY.. thanks agian.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I would say after doing the things that you have done there is a very good chance it is the ballast that is bad. Taking off the bumper is not that hard. There should be instructions in the DIY section. I can take mine off now in under 15 minutes without really rushing.

I have taken mine off about 3 times now to install new angel eye bulbs, trouble shoot the same problem you have right now (Bad Ballast) and to install new HID fogs.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The ballasts is only ~100 used so its up to you. I would say if you absolutely dont want to take off the bumper twice then just buy a new ballasts since it is most likely the problem. You can always resell it if you dont need it or keep a spare...really up to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, very true. heres another one for ya..
lets say its not the ballast. what else can it be? or thats my problem? all lights work A/Eyes, turn, brights. this is the only light that does not work.. 95%? 85%? 50%?
thank you

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I am a fresh newb to this forum. i want to thank all of you and Bimmerfest for this wonderful thing.
with that out of the way,

i have an 02 745i

i have a low beam healdight not working on drivers, left side. so obvious first fix, i bought a new bulb. not the problem, swapped out bulb, igniter as a unit with the working one on right side. still no light action. next would be, the ballast, from what ive found and read so far.
my question is --> :What are the odds its the ballast?

i am trying to not have to take the bumper off more than once if i dont have to. i havent had to yet, so i am unsure what i am getting myself into. i have a funny feeling i am going to have to though. just to do the process of elimination. then order the ballast. and then pulling bumper off again to replace it.

just looking for the odds please. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
as well as help hints to taking bumper off as well. i did a search, and didnt get much results. as to DIY.. thanks agian.
There are 3 main components to the HID system, Bulb, Ignitor and Ballast. First swap the bulbs side to side to see if it's the bulb. If that same side still doesn't work then swap the ignitors side to side. If that doesn't work then the problem is the ballast. However DO NOT FORGET to check the fuses and wiring too!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
thanks for the tip... i chcecked for fuses last night, but cant seem to find where they are located. any clues as to where they are?
thanks agian
There are two sets of accessory fuse locations that I know about. One is in the trunk behind the passenger side compartment. The other in in the glove box....if you look up in the globe box you will see a little flap that you can pull down....once you pull it down you will see fuses....there should be a fuse diagram in a holder right under the fuses.

I am not sure which fuses are headlight related but you can figure it out by the fuse diagram.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have seen the trunk fuses. already checked there last night. nothing related to headlights. i will check the one in the glove box today when i get home from work.. thak you guys for your input.. hope to have this resolved soon..
thank you.

i will update once the situation is taken care of to let you guys know what i have found out..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bump this up to say thank you to all that gave me advice on this subject. and to the DIY section. job was a piece of cake. replaced both bulbs, one ballast, and one igniter. the ballast was the problem. taking the bumper shell off took the longest, but if done right, and you take your time, and definately use the DIY section, ( pictures and steps ) . made my job a whole lot easier. while i was in there, i replaced new angel eye bulbs.( blue ) looks fantastic.
thanks again. :thumbup:

-Tim-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.