BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2005 BMW X3 the old owner told me the key battery needed to be replaced and that's why the remote didn't work. I cut the key open and changed the battery tried to reprogram it and nothing. Has anyone Had this problem? Where should I start?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Older BMW Key programming

When I bought my 2005 BMW X3 the old owner told me the key battery needed to be replaced and that's why the remote didn't work. I cut the key open and changed the battery tried to reprogram it and nothing. Has anyone Had this problem? Where should I start?
Thanks in advance
(Unless you destroyed your key by cutting it open) Try the following (attached) instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
If all checks out (re programming, fuses and new battery install) checks out good. Then you next step would be the central locking relays and or GM5 malfunction.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks You Luigi524TD I'll try this again. Mitch500 do you by chance have a flow chart (or even a wiring diagram) of how to Diagnosis this further if the programming doesn't work?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Figure out your build date via you last 7 of your vin on realoem.com

Then the second link I sent below will show diagrams for specific build dates or right hand drive vs. left, so make sure you select the right wiring flow diagram.

Thanks You Luigi524TD I'll try this again. Mitch500 do you by chance have a flow chart (or even a wiring diagram) of how to Diagnosis this further if the programming doesn't work?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...rity-functions/central-locking-system/XCYNqhR

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/...entral-locking-system/central-locking-drives/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mitch
Do you know if there is any way the dealer or anyone else can check to see if the system itself is functioning properly and its just the key? The doors all lock fine with the dash button and I've had it scanned and there are no security codes. I would think if there was a security fault there would be security codes. I don't want to spend 200.00 on a key from BMW if its not the problem and I can't find anyone in my area that will cut a aftermarket key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts