BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding. I want to pull the trigger on a 335i E90. A new one for $90 over invoice with all the options I want for a total of $45,880. Or a used one with almost all the options I want and color (interior/exterior), except the rear parking sensor for $37,000. The used car has 9k miles on it, its a 2007 with a production date of 05/07. It will be purchase on either one. I can put down a substantial downpayment for either (more than 10k) and fiance the rest (new @ 3.9% and used at 6%). Should I take the used for the saving of almost 10k?

·
Officially Welcomed
188 Posts
I need help deciding. I want to pull the trigger on a 335i E90. A new one for $90 over invoice with all the options I want for a total of $45,880. Or a used one with almost all the options I want and color (interior/exterior), except the rear parking sensor for $37,000. The used car has 9k miles on it, its a 2007 with a production date of 05/07. It will be purchase on either one. I can put down a substantial downpayment for either (more than 10k) and fiance the rest (new @ 3.9% and used at 6%). Should I take the used for the saving of almost 10k?
Take the used along as its a CPO. Is the parking sensor worth $10k? :dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Buy used, but keep looking if you're not in a rush. My 335 came with all 3 packages + navigation for $35k, 17k on the odo. I was a day late to buy another similarly equipped 335 for $36k and 8k on the odo.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Buy new. Yes, the sticker difference is $8,880. The new one comes with an extra year / 9k on the warranty and maintenance plan. I'd value that at about $1000. Depending on how much you finance, you'll also have as much as another $1000 in interest costs on the used one. The used one also has tires that are down about 1/3 of their service life. That leaves about $7,000 (15%) or less difference. Is having a new car, on which you can control the break-in period, and know the full history, worth a 15% premium to you? It would be to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called the dealer again and now they said they couldn't do 37k since they bought it for 37k, that they could sell it for 38k. Its not sounding like a good deal anymore.

·
Registered
258 Posts
a CPO is better than a getting a car from an independent dealer.

there are certain good things about a new car too, make the right choice usually at the used lot the new one is just a few grand away from a used

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would NEVER buy a used car from a small independent dealer, no matter what kind of deal it is. I'm currently looking at a 2007 328xi E92 and it's from a BMW dealer and is CPO'd 6 years/100,000 - which is all a MAJOR plus in my book.

So basically I would suggest either getting the new one or finding a used one from a BMW dealer that is CPO'd.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Its not CPO'ed. Its not from a BMW dealer its from a independent small dealer.
I called the dealer again and now they said they couldn't do 37k since they bought it for 37k, that they could sell it for 38k. Its not sounding like a good deal anymore.
Is it an indy dealer who specializes in BMW and/or other high end cars? Buying from an indy isn't necessarily a bad thing. You just have to be wise about it.

I don't quite see how a price increase of $1,000 suddenly makes it not a good deal.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They specialize in other high end cars not just BMW.

My thought was that if the savings was less than 7k at that point "the piece of mind" of buying new was worth it. In other words the difference between new and used would be marginal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Peace of mind is huge in my book. Buying a dealer CPO would be much safer than buying from an independent dealer, high end cars or not. With that said, I say go with a NEW car. The $500 over invoice and 3.9% is pretty darn good!

On another note, the used car place's sudden raise in price from $37K to $38K sounds downright fishy to me. WTF? That is enough to turn me off from doing business with them. My 2¢

Good luck with whatever you choose!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts