BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaning to a 330i sp. Live in Toronto and am also considering a 325xi sp. Find the 330i more fun but will I curse in the winter even with snows and do the sp tires do ok in spring fall or will they be noisy and offer a bumpy ride except on smooth roads. I would consider a 330i non sp but I decided I like the seats, steering wheel and tires. Your comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Get the 330i. The extra power is well worth the disadvantage in winter. For the snow just get another set of wheels on some good high perfermance winter tires and you're set.

As for your concerns about the ride quality, go and test drive it for yourself. The E46 SP rides way too softly for some of us here, but some buyers complain that they can't drink their coffees while they're driving without spilling it. It's all subjective.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
What Mystikal said. If you have not recently driven a car on true snow tires, you will be absolutely amazed at how well they grip. Throw the car control software into the mix, and there is no reason you should shy away from the 330 if you think it will be more fun to own.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My brother-in-law has a '99 323 SP which means he does not have DSC, only ASC. With a good set of snow tires he tells me that he does not have a problem with Rochester, NY winters.

If you really want AWD - go with Audi.

Uh-oh, where did I put my flame suit? :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This topic has been debated countless times but I think I have a conclusion:

If you live in a hilly area go for the xi. I need AWD just to get to my house. But outside of getting to my house, I really don't need AWD- just a good set of snow tires.

So if you don't live on a mtn then RWD and snows will be fine.

Hopefully people will stop debating the AWD vs. RWD issue - I know I boiled it down to the basics but I think it will hold up.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Zaphod said:
My brother-in-law has a '99 323 SP which means he does not have DSC, only ASC. With a good set of snow tires he tells me that he does not have a problem with Rochester, NY winters.
Same deal here, ASC only. I have Pirelli 210 Snowsports, 195 width. Haven't scared myself in the snow yet...unless of course it was intentional. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.