BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 99 bmw 323i. I***8217;ve got multiple cylinder misfires on 1,2 and 3. Didn***8217;t mess around with changing coils around to see if the issue is coil related because I don***8217;t believe that is the issue. There is also a popping noise coming from the intake which i can only assume are small backfires. It only really does it at start up.

Anyways, while the car is running, if I unplug the MAF the cars idle will straighten out. No popping. No choppy idle. I got to looking and the intake boot is torn in 2 spots. Big tears too. I just ordered a new intake boot for the thing and those will be in shortly.

I guess my question is, could the major vacuum leak cause the computer to trick the engine into running fat/lean and create backfires? Is unplugging the MAF and seeing an improvement a sign of a vacuum leak? Also, would a major vacuum leak cause a multiple cylinder misfire? Just to add a little bit of info. When the MAF is plugged in and I take the oil filler cap off it will bog down bad and stall. If I do the same with the MAF unplugged it will act as it should and change the idle slightly.

I***8217;m new with bmw***8217;s so any help would be appreciated.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,086 Posts
First step in any diagnosis is to get the codes read, then post those results here. Codes are expressed as "P0123", etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First step in any diagnosis is to get the codes read, then post those results here. Codes are expressed as "P0123", etc.
I***8217;ll have to go recheck but I***8217;m certain it was p0300 p0301 p0302 and I***8217;m pretty sure a bmw specific code. I***8217;ll echeck and get back
All were misfire related

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. I***8217;ve diagnosed it. Here are he codes I got

P1250 - No DTC definition found
P0300 - random multiple miss
P0130 - oxygen sensor circuit bank 1
P0302 - cylinder 2 miss
P0303 - cylinder 3 miss
P0301 - cylinder 1 miss
P0170 - fuel trim
P1188 - no DTC definition found
P1182 - no DTC definition found
P0142 - oxygen sensor heater circuit bank 1 sensor 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts