BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

This stupid weatherstripping around the doors is starting peel off. I've tried multiple glues but nothing seems to hold it together. Any advice??
If I need to replace it could someone help or point me to the part number.

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Bimmer App

Attachments

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this stripping around the door is about $330!!!!! WTF!!! Are you serious!

Anyone got advice on repairing the existing strip and a half decent glue/adhesive you've used for repairs such as this?

· Super Moderator
10,277 Posts
Take the car by your local automotive paint distribute. They will be able to help you make a good decision. If would think that they would say, 3M weatherstripping glue. It's a bit messy, but it works!

So was that the part you needed?

· Registered
3,667 Posts
The e46 coupes are notorious for "sagging door seals". The cost is over $1,200 to replace the 2 gaskets at the dealer including labor. ($600 parts)

3M makes a good glue for this which is available at NAPA - 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive (08008) This will last 2 -3 years before needing to be re-glued. Most glues will not hold up to the heat inside a closed car in the sun.

I found that CA glue (superglue) that is used to glue tires to wheels on RC cars worked even better than the 3M glue. It's like a flexible version of superglue. You can find this at most hobby shops.

Look for some DIYs online. You need to use masking tape to hold the seal in place while the glue dries.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SO I tried the weather stripping glue and Yorgi is correct, the heat in the car will just cause the adhesive to give and eventually the strip was slacking again. I will try the CA glue and let everyone know how it turn out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.