Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new e30 owner, I just hit owning my car for a year. I have a 1990 325i 4dr and I am getting wet floors which my mechanic told me was due to bad door seals which he told me weren't made anymore. I went on some parts websites and learn about the $400 price per door of existing door seals. I have tried to do some research and can't find an alternative so I have resorted to forums. Can you just buy the seal material and do it yourself? If so what size door seal do I need. I was also told the plastic sheet inside the door was missing on two of my doors and I need to put those on. idk what the proper name is for those or where to find them so help with that would also be appreciated. I have left photos of both the parts I am talking about in the attachments. Thank you !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
With the rain gutters on our cars I would doubt the wet floor is from the door seals. Yes they are expensive and I've considered looking to Steel Rubber to see if they have something that would be a good substitute.

That all being said, I think the more likely culprit is either the cowl vent, the sun roof drains of the HVAC drain tubes. I have had issues with all of those.

First, pull the cowl vent covers, clean out the junk on both side as they drain off under the fenders to the ground. The passenger side also has the drain tube (elephant trunk) near the battery tray. Run some water in there and make sure it drains quickly.

Next the sun roof drains, two front, two back. With wet floors, my guess would be the front drains. Make sure they are clear. I used string trimmer string to snake down to the rockers. While your at the rocker, make sure those drains are clear. They also have a tendency to collect debris. Again, pour water into the drain and make sure it comes out on the ground. The drain tube has been know to crack and therefore drain into the cabin at the foot well versus through the rockers.

Lastly, the HVAC box has three drains, one on each side, one in the center by the shifter. They tend to crack and given their location, hard to diagnose. Simply replace them, they are cheap.

And dry the car out thoroughly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts