BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i started a thread a couple days ago about some rims i was interested in buying, they were some AF117's. I dont know anything about rims and need to know what to inspect other than scratches and how to inspect it, The gentleman i am potentially buying the rims for said he would put it on a balancer to check if the rims are bent, but when im looking at the wheels on the balancer what exactly shhould i be focusing on??? Also someone replied to me telling me i should check to see if the wheels spin true? What exactly is that and how do i go on to check on that? Anything else that i should check for? Thanks in advance for all the help!! :thumbup:

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
Have the seller meet you at a random wheel shop or your choice. Have a tech spin the wheels on a balancer, and give you his honest feedback.

When I stated to make sure the wheels spin true, it means that they spin straight.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When he puts them on the wheel balance, make sure he can zero out the balance on the wheels. Also when the wheel is spinning, check for vibrations. Make sure wheels are not leaking, specially Asantis cause they are multi piece wheels and can leak at the seals where the wheels are ribitted. Have them submerge the wheels in water and check for bubbles which would indicate air leaks. Check for normal/uneven wear on tires.

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
If he works at the wheel shop, ask him if its OK that you stand by on the side of the wheel balancer, and watch the wheel spin.

When the wheel is on the balancer, the wheel will be on the right side of the machine/LCD monitor. Stand on the left side of the machine. Watch the wheel spin, pay attention to the inner lip where the wheel meets the tire. Make sure its spinning smooth, and you dont see it hopping around. If its spinning smooth, the inner is straight. Now do the same thing on the outside of the wheel.

·
Sleek Sam
3,518 Posts
When he puts them on the wheel balance, make sure he can zero out the balance on the wheels. Also when the wheel is spinning, check for vibrations. Make sure wheels are not leaking, specially Asantis cause they are multi piece wheels and can leak at the seals where the wheels are ribitted. Have them submerge the wheels in water and check for bubbles which would indicate air leaks. Check for normal/uneven wear on tires.
Even if he is able to zero out the wheel, it can still be bent.

·
President
8,098 Posts
like others said even if the wheel balances out on the machine it could still be bent

my cousin's wheels balanced no problem but they would vibrate the hell out of his car,

when we looked at them without tires, they were egg-shaped.

so like Sam said, stand next to the balancer and look at the lip of the wheel to see if it's out-of-round!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.