Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone name is JR. this is my 1st posting. I would greatly appreciate if someone has an answer or resolution to my question. here it goes last night i purchased a 1993 318I for a$1000.00 bucks. really nice ride it has been sitting for about a year and half or maybe even longer drove it from where it sat to my house about 5 blocks or so parked it and that was it. well today at around 12pm my wife decided to wash it and while she was rinsing the car off she heard a buzzing sound and could smell fuel the key was not in the ignition never started the car at all today but something was making a noise and so much fuel was coming out of the airfilter that it left a huge puddle of gas on the ground i could not figure out what was wrong so i disconnected the battery then it stopped waited a while, put the battery cable back on and it did it again something is staying on while the car is off, maybe water got in somewhere that made it do this. Someone please help did i spend $1000.00for nothing is this going to be expensive? BTW it's got a 1.8L INLINE 4 i think M42.

Thanks.
JR

·
Registered
234 Posts
Did you try the relay pull? Pull the fuse then the relay to see what happens. Our vendors have plenty of parts, but for a quick fix you may need to visit the BMW dealer.
As for what you have done by spending $1000, you will need to develop mechanic skills for sure. No one can justify paying (BMW) mechanics to work on these older cars, especially a 4 cyl. They can be great cars when they run right however, so it is worthwhile to one one or more.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did i mentioned thaty the injectors are wking when yhe car is off and it fills up the intake manifold.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
huh?? :dunno: are they actually pulsing?? they shouldn't be doing that at all since there should be no power to them with the key off/engine off. the pcm would also have to be 'seeing' rpm in order to pulse the injectors as well, not to mention that fuel pump needing to be 'on' in order to pump the fuel.

here's what i suggest.

1- pull the fuel pump relay (simplest, most logical reason for this malfunction) if the issue stops, then suspect a faulty relay. check the continuity across the relay terminals to confirm.

2- if the relay checks out, then the next 'most likely' culprit would be the ignition switch (since this is where the car 'powers up').

i would also probably suspect a leaky injector as well, but that would be more mechanical that electrical.

good luck with getting this sortedout.

df

1 - 7 of 7 Posts