BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep - There must be more history that carfax did not list, and probably why bmw sent it to auction. The car was inspected before purchase and was running fine. It has been a nightmare, however just found a local shop that fitted a used engine, hopefully this will last.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,430 Posts
Yep - There must be more history that carfax did not list, and probably why bmw sent it to auction. The car was inspected before purchase and was running fine. It has been a nightmare, however just found a local shop that fitted a used engine, hopefully this will last.
It is unlikely that “BMW” sent it to auction. But ‘auction’ is the whole rest of the story.

Local shop that fitted the used engine that blew. Why past / perfect tense?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Were there any belt pieces found? I am thinking that belt got sucked in sometime before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Not redlined…a few weeks after purchase, car threw a misfire code. I changed the plugs and coils, everything was good for a couple of weeks then threw the misfire code again (cylinder 5) turned out to be low compression in cycling 5 due to a injector leak. Injector was replaced and all was good. However compression was still low (150) The rod blew a hole through the block in cylinder 5. So I’m thinking this must have had something to do with it. The used engine was a 185 psi across all six with 80k on it.

·
Anti-Hack
7,478 Posts
Injector leak could have caused it, diluting oil. Here’s what that looks like:

On this one, the fuel dilution also washed away oil spray from the piston cooling nozzle.

Via the interwebs

21 - 28 of 28 Posts