Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2015 435i. I had the oil replaced on the 26th of August and saw a leak in the first week of September. On the 10th I got it diagnosed and the headgasket and seals need to be replaced. The system now says oil level is at minimum and the drive to the shop is 22 kms. Should I drive it there with whats in the engine now or add a quart of oil and go or worst case, get it towed????

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Ive got a 2015 435i. I had the oil replaced on the 26th of August and saw a leak in the first week of September. On the 10th I got it diagnosed and the headgasket and seals need to be replaced. The system now says oil level is at minimum and the drive to the shop is 22 kms. Should I drive it there with whats in the engine now or add a quart of oil and go or worst case, get it towed????
Head gasket or valve cover gasket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Apay Kapoy
944 Posts
Adding oil is less expensive compared to towing unless it's fully covered by your insurance.
Some coincidence that you now have a head gasket leak after your oil change at the dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Adding oil is less expensive compared to towing unless it's fully covered by your insurance.
Some coincidence that you now have a head gasket leak after your oil change at the dealership.
Valve cover gasket*** but you think if I add in a quart, itll survive going 22 kilometres ??

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Valve cover gasket*** but you think if I add in a quart, itll survive going 22 kilometres ??
Ok. It will survive. Go to local Wal Mart and get Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. Top it off, drive it there. Make sure they change valve cover too not only gasket! Also, let them install new serpentine belt. Make sure you don’t have leak on Oil filter housing gasket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. It will survive. Go to local Wal Mart and get Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30. Top it off, drive it there. Make sure they change valve cover too not only gasket! Also, let them install new serpentine belt. Make sure you don’t have leak on Oil filter housing gasket.

They said they would do a engine degrease so will I still require a serpentine belt? Its my first car I dont know too much haha

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
To OP, check out this video talking about valve cover gasket(VCG) leaks on N55 engine(which is in 2015 435i).

As mentioned in the video, VCG leaks can be at the left, at spark plugs wells, and/or at front of engine. Do note another common leak at front of engine is from oil filter housing gasket(OFHG).

Any engine oil getting on the belts can damage them, so do check the belts carefully, e.g. if the VCG leak is only at back of engine to the left, then it can be possible that the belts are OK.

One good advice in the video is to (somewhat) cleanup the spilled oil in order to clearly see where leaks are coming from.

Another point is that your N55 engine has LL01 and LL01FE as approved oils, so look for oil with those specs to refill if needed.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
But, above all make sure they change valve cover as PCV is integrated into it. If PCV is weakening you might be back with same problem soon or worse, rear main seal might start leaking.
Serpentine belt if damaged could get sucked into the engine and it is game over. So change it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A question, not only for Edycol but for everybody else: have you ever experienced that engine swallows the timing belt?
You tube views don't count.

Reason why I want to know the answer is because I had and still have leak from FHG last 25.000 miles on my E90 N52 engine. It was and still is family daily driver/beater, we bought it with rebuilt title beginning of 2014. Before the FHG developed a leak back in 2015 or 16, I replaced the serpentine belt and pulley. Since then I've seen oil traces on the belt in several occasions while checking the engine bay. Up to date I haven't had any issue that is related to the a/m problem.

I'm not going to say that engine eats belt statement is fake or exaggerated, nor would I advise anybody to disregard that problem. I am just curious if somebody really had that happened. And one more thing: how the belt gets into the engine?

·
Registered
12,525 Posts
I'm not going to say that engine eats belt statement is fake or exaggerated, nor would I advise anybody to disregard that problem. I am just curious if somebody really had that happened. And one more thing: how the belt gets into the engine?
There is no personal experience(and none among my contacts) of shredded belts causing engine failure.

My old E39 had VCG leak in the back of engine so drive belts were not affected, but the belts were replaced after another 10k miles due to cracks on the teeth/ribs.

The trusted indy did say oil on the teeth/ribs is problematic, although the non-teeth side made of neoprene has some oil resistance.

Some forum posts said shredded drive belts getting through N54/N55 crankshaft seal and causing timing to jump, and some vendors offer aftermarket crank seal cover to be installed behind the crank pulley.

It is unclear if N20/N26(my current engine) and B engines have similar cover from factory or not(can't identify such a cover from parts diagram).

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
A question, not only for Edycol but for everybody else: have you ever experienced that engine swallows the timing belt?
You tube views don't count.

Reason why I want to know the answer is because I had and still have leak from FHG last 25.000 miles on my E90 N52 engine. It was and still is family daily driver/beater, we bought it with rebuilt title beginning of 2014. Before the FHG developed a leak back in 2015 or 16, I replaced the serpentine belt and pulley. Since then I've seen oil traces on the belt in several occasions while checking the engine bay. Up to date I haven't had any issue that is related to the a/m problem.

It is known issue on N51.52,54 and 55. It is not timing belt, it is serpentine belt. Yes, engine COULD suck it in and game over probably. In some instances it does not, and at best you will be fishing for belt pieces in your oil pan which is also expensive work.
So fix leak and absolutely change serpentine belt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for correcting me, yes I thought on serpentine belt.

Some forum posts said shredded drive belts getting through N54/N55 crankshaft seal and causing timing to jump, and some vendors offer aftermarket crank seal cover to be installed behind the crank pulley.
Interesting, but how anything can pass the seal?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts