BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in the process of a lease return, and I am appalled at quality of customer service I am given. Long story short, the dealership is reporting that I will need to pay over $3000 to return my lease. When i started the process, it was $2200, but then I let them know I would not be leasing another BMW if I have to pay this type of amount every time I need to return a car. This is when they did a additional pass and turned in to stereotypical used car sales men. They then added items to the repair list. When I asked about a third party inspector, they iterated that they were "taking care of me" and the inspector would tear me apart. The car was daily driven and has over 45K miles on it.

I am trying to figure out the validity of these estimates and statements.

First is the drivers side headlight. They are reporting that scratch would not pass inspection and would need to be replaced. My car was inspected in December of 2015 and passed without question. I noticed this scratch with-in the first 6 months of owning the car, I don't often look at my headlights. It has not grown since. I thought it was normal.

Second is the front bumper needs to be replaced. I honestly didn't even know the dents existed until I did my pre-lease inspection. There are 3 contact points, the picture below is from the largest of the 3. From 5 feet out you can barely even see it.

This is the windshield. I have never had a car with more rock dings in the windshield, than this car. I have no idea why. This is the one thing I would agree with, but looking for advice on how to fix it.

The last are the run flat tires. There was a miscommunication and misunderstanding of what approved tires were. Since I personally cant stand the how the run flats drive, I opted for the Michelin Super Sport the same tire on most M3's. The tires are only a few month old and have plenty of tread left. What are the best options for finding acceptable tires?

I am looking for any and all advice._a__a2_

·
Premium Member
698 Posts

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
For the tires, some people report going to purchase used tires that meet the specifications and turning the car in with those. That would probably save you about $1200 (I think it is 300 a tire, right?) Usually 3rd Party inspectors are more strict than the dealership, per what others have reported on this board. The dealer has a stake in this and wants you to get another car from them. The third party inspector doesnt care.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
If you think the car is in good shape take it to a different dealer
+1

You can turn in your leased car at any BMW dealership. Just call to see if you need to make an appointment for the inspection. Ask if they do their own lease-end inspections or use a third-party inspection service. The third-party guys simply follow the BMW guidelines by-the-book.

Windshield chips can often be filled in and some car insurance companies will pay for that at no deductible to you. Check with your insurance agent.

All of BMW's lease-end rules and guidelines are posted on their website and explained in video clips.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Based on your description of the damages, it does not sound like excessive charges to me. Read your lease contract and the lease end paperwork you received from BMW. 4 tires are about $1,600. Replacing and painting the bumper is probably $1,000 or more. The windshield is probably about $500. The headlight...who knows depending on if they can repair or have to replace and if they are halogens or Xenons. Sounds like they gave you at least $1,500 (probably more) before they started charging. I think they can allow up to a certain amount per BMW before they actually charge you. Someone more knowledgeable about that can chime in but is it $2,250?

You can buy used tires to pass the inspection. There is a growing market for such tires. Just make sure you are dealing with a honest tire shop if you go this route. Inspect your wheels with the shop manager before you give them the keys, take pictures of the wheels too. And inspect them again before you drive away and deal with them if there is any damage. Also on your receipt for the tires, have them indicate the tread depth on the tires (they should have at least 5/32 tread to be safe because the lease turn in folks will take different measurements of that tire all the way across it. And if it goes even a shade below 4/32 at any point, the won't pass it. And remember, if your car came with RFT's you must put RFT's back on it. Same size as original. The tires have to be the same exact tires per axle. Meaning you cannot buy a Pirelli for the left rear and a Dunlop for the right rear. The rears have to match. The fronts have to match. The fronts don't necessarily have to match the backs.

I bought 2 used tires for my lease turn in for $220 total (not each). Saved me at least $600 just for the two tires.

As for your windshield, call your insurance company and let them know about the stone chips. The insurance should pay to have the windshield repaired or replaced.

If this were to work out for you your lease "damages" could go down significantly.

If you are possibly negotiating a new lease or purchasing another car from your dealership, I seriously doubt they are trying to pad the damages. They probably are looking the other way on as much as they can because they have a vested interest in helping you. Another dealer that you don't know and are not buying another car from will obviously not be willing to overlook things.

Something that I gleaned from what one of the lease employees at my dealership hinted to me is that some BMW dealers (or dealership employees unbeknownst to the car dealership) work with these used tire companies. The dealership employee refers the customer to the used tire place, the customer buys used tires that pass inspection and turns in their lease, the dealership replaces the tires as part of a CPO process if they decide to keep the car and sell it, and they sell the used tires back to the used tire dealer. The next customer buys the tires for their lease turn in and the process repeats.... Even if that is true I say good for them, and good for the customer because they save money at lease turn in....

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I had a chip in my windshield within the first week after I leased my first Z4--called my insurance company and they had one of the travelling windshield chip fill companies (safelite I think) come fill it. At turn-in the dealer pointed it out, I handed him the paperwork from that company AND I had checked with BMWFS who said filling the chip professionally is just fine. End of story. No charge. Insurance company had said if there was an issue with the chip repair, they would replace the windshield and I"d have to pay my deductible...so yes, follow everyone else's advice and get the windshield taken care of first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I greatly appreciate the feedback, so thank you. I am looking into several of these options.

next time spend the $1250 on lease protection....would have been about 1/3 of what they're trying to stick you with now.
I wish this was offered, I would have purchased it. I was only offered wheel insurance for $1500. The fault of not doing enough research.

If you think the car is in good shape take it to a different dealer
Scheduling an appointment for later this week. The dealership I first went to has a 2 star reviews on most sites. There are several 5 star review dealerships around me.

Won't your insurance cover the windshield replacement?
Since it is cracked, I assumed not without a deductible payment. I will find out this weekend.

For the tires, some people report going to purchase used tires that meet the specifications and turning the car in with those.
Looking for a shop that sells run used flats.

Sounds like they gave you at least $1,500 (probably more) before they started charging.
I thought most dealers did this as well. They showed me the itemized receipt, I guarantee you there was no credit. The prices you listed were a little high.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The prices being thrown around here for new runflats are out of date (or for high-end 20" models). Check tire rack.

I'd get the cheapest used tires available (that meet specs), but looks like you can just get new ones for less than $150/ea.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Since it is cracked, I assumed not without a deductible payment. I will find out this weekend.
Well, that's going to be an interesting conversation. Insurance companies differ on whether they consider a crack serious enough to warrant windshield replacement. It often depends on the size and location of the crack.

Let us know what your insurance company says.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Let us know what your insurance company says.
Since the crack is on the corner, it cannot be repair. The only option is to replace. I have the heads up display, its significantly more. Current quote is $669.49.

I also called surrounding dealerships. They are full on lease return inventory and are not accepting new inventory. So basically I am out of options. Life lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Since the crack is on the corner, it cannot be repair. The only option is to replace. I have the heads up display, its significantly more. Current quote is $669.49.

I also called surrounding dealerships. They are full on lease return inventory and are not accepting new inventory. So basically I am out of options. Life lesson learned I guess.
It looks like the windshield repair is needed regardless of lease return or not. The scratch at the headlight and grille chrome can pass as wear and tear for private sale, but those probably won't pass any lease return inspection.

The RFT versus non-RFT should be fixable by swapping in approved RFTs(from Ebay?), and selling the used non-RFT to recoup some of the cost. Many lessees do need/expect to pay for set of 4 during typical 3-year lease term(and same for non-lease owners), so that is not extra cost of lease.

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
What about wheel curb rash? Do you have any? Did they say something? Its not listed in BMW videos, but dealers . can still try

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I know it can't be repaired. What I was talking about is that some insurance companies will not approve a comprehensive claim for windshield replacement if the crack does not meet their replacement criteria. Obviously anything in the driver's line of sight automatically qualifies, as well as anything that could be deemed a safety hazard. If you have a $500 deductible on comprehensive, then they're more likely to just go ahead and approve it because it won't be costing them much at all.

I believe the suggestion about taking your car to a different dealer to drop it off has nothing to do with whether they are interested in keeping it for their used car lot. The point is that you have the option to drop off your car at any BMW dealership in the US. It's your choice and not theirs. Whether they like it or not, you can still drop off your car there, although they probably won't be any better than the other place and may even be worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.