BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok every once in a while my ABS light and Traction Control light will come on at the same time, but sometimes they will go off and wont return for about 2days or so. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I can get it fixed???????

Also I have a check engine light on, and it is reading an emissions code, I purchased a new gas cap from Autozone and had the light cleared and it came on again 3days later. What should I do about this problem also???????
PLEASE HELP ME ASAP

·
Registered
269 Posts
The same thing was happening to me two months ago, driving along ABS and traction controll comes on and car slows down and won't let you go any where. Took it to BMW and they found that there was a bad wire in the main engine harnes but only after testing all the ABS sensors. I was told that this is called "Failsafe mode" and best temporary way to get out of it is to pull over put car in park turn off egnition and re start. So part and labour for wire harnes $1300. I have not had the problem come back at all wich makes me feel much better considering when your sitting at a light waiting to go and get on the gas and can't get through the intersection.:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: You may have the same problem or something far less expencive but get it looked at because such a sparatic fault could come at the worst time. All the best.:angel: :angel: :angel:

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
EDZ245 said:
The same thing was happening to me two months ago, driving along ABS and traction controll comes on and car slows down and won't let you go any where. Took it to BMW and they found that there was a bad wire in the main engine harnes but only after testing all the ABS sensors. I was told that this is called "Failsafe mode" and best temporary way to get out of it is to pull over put car in park turn off egnition and re start. So part and labour for wire harnes $1300. I have not had the problem come back at all wich makes me feel much better considering when your sitting at a light waiting to go and get on the gas and can't get through the intersection.:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: You may have the same problem or something far less expencive but get it looked at because such a sparatic fault could come at the worst time. All the best.:angel: :angel: :angel:
I'm not saying they screwed you, but the disconnect and reconnect of the battery alone may have fixed that ;) It did on mine.

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does not alter the car at all and it doesnt ride funny, it drives and does everything correctly. Its just that those two lights will come on at the same and leave at the same time??????? I was going to go to the dealer but they wont to charge me $110 just for diagnostics, are they trying to rip me off??????

·
Registered
269 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
I'm not saying they screwed you, but the disconnect and reconnect of the battery alone may have fixed that ;) It did on mine.
Yeah that was my first attempt at a solution and it did work but the problem kept coming back. Every once and a while you have to have a little faith, I know I'm gonna pay at BMW but I want it fixed properly the first time. Besides I would like to think the mechanics at BMW are well above the GM tech's.:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
EDZ245 said:
Yeah that was my first attempt at a solution and it did work but the problem kept coming back. Every once and a while you have to have a little faith, I know I'm gonna pay at BMW but I want it fixed properly the first time. Besides I would like to think the mechanics at BMW are well above the GM tech's.:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
good, glad you didn't jump the gun and run to the stealer without checking the basic things yourself :thumbup: . BMW techs > GM techs as a whole, but it's a dealer by dealer thing. I've seen a dealer tech who couldn't find his way out of an empty pool.

·
Registered
269 Posts
bimmerd00d said:
good, glad you didn't jump the gun and run to the stealer without checking the basic things yourself :thumbup: . BMW techs > GM techs as a whole, but it's a dealer by dealer thing. I've seen a dealer tech who couldn't find his way out of an empty pool.
Yeah I agree about finding the right dealer who does worry about his reputation ans clients, even if you spend $ 10 buks to by a pen it all goes to their bottom line every month.

Like the girl currling 195 lbs I'd love to meet her :thumbs: :thumbs: She doesnt look like she is more than 130 lbs on a heavy day the laws of nature change for no one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts