BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, currently driving a 2005 325 xi with just under 300k km on it... vehicle was always well maintained. Just yesterday i let my little sister take the car, she came back and the check engine light was on, and the coolant light was on.... smoke was coming out from under the hood--> assuming it was the engine over heating:cry::cry: When i popped the hood i saw what looked like dried up antifreeze right on the gasket and close to the radiator. Looked like one of the hoses blew but i couldn't tell for sure. Anyways, i dont want to drive it to the mechanic and risk putting more strain on the engine, so im calling some mobile repair guys to fix it. but i just wanna get a second opinion on what it could be so i can tell the mechanics exactly what it is? what do you guys think? just the head gasket that needs to b replaced? is the radiator messed up now? let me know what you guys think :)
Sad to see this happen to my car :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,661 Posts
... the check engine light was on, and the coolant light was on.... smoke was coming out from under the hood--> assuming it was the engine overheating
... [I'm] calling some mobile repair guys ....
what do you guys think? just the head gasket that needs to b replaced? is the radiator messed up now?
"Mobile repair guys?" No. Have the car towed to a shop that works on BMWs all day, every day. Let them tell you what went wrong, how severe the damage is, and whether the car can be saved for any reasonable amount of money.

The long, aluminum deck of BMW's straight-six engines does not take kindly to being overheated. If your sister drove the car for more than a minute or two--literally, no more than 1-2 minutes maximum--after it blew out its coolant, it's all but certain you need a new engine.

(Yes, the engine could be rebuilt (maybe--not always), but it is usually cheaper to swap in a used but undamaged engine.)

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Sigh....

100% agree with Zeichen311.

Cooling system failure is likely the top two cause of E46's ending up with a date with the crusher, not too far after collision related financial total losses.
A well maintained E46 will have its cooling system components replaced preemptively to avoid the exact situation you're in: Catastrophic cooling system failure while driving resulting in overheating which usually leads to dead engine because head gasket replacement is seldom successful.

Hopefully the engine is still OK in which case you dodged a bullet. Replace thermostat, water pump, expansion tank if they have more than 75k miles, hoses and radiator if more than 150k miles. If engine is dead either drop a known good used engine as a replacement or part the car out.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Been there, done that.

Radiator hose blew on my previous e46. When yellow coolant light is lit, you should take it as warning and slow down already, because if you're speeding on left lane when temperature begin to rise, then you can't stop quickly enough. Didn't get damage on my M43, but I saw red light on temperature gauge.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I replaced my expansion tank and water pump and thermostat but did not replace the hoses (assuming 2 of them). What kind of indication that would let you know you're losing coolant and need to stop before it's too late?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I replaced my expansion tank and water pump and thermostat but did not replace the hoses (assuming 2 of them). What kind of indication that would let you know you're losing coolant and need to stop before it's too late?
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/MJ78wf0qfKU/maxresdefault.jpg

That yellow light and possibly some steam, that's what comes first, meaning coolant level is low in expansion tank. Temperature gauge begin to rise bit later, after all coolant is gone, and then it rise fast. Driving the car when temperature is on red can kill engine.

And in heavy traffic you can't just shut down at once, need to get out of there safely first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts