BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 335i. Could someone please tell me how to remove the tail lamp assembly so I could replace the bulb? It seems like it should just pop out. But I was afraid to apply too much force.

Do I need to remove some screw, or bend a tab somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

· Registered
437 Posts
You should see a tab that can be pushed down...very simple operation!-no tools required.
There are a couple of fine videos on youtube that give the exact location of the tab-but really-it's easy to see.
Cheers

· wooohooo
2,911 Posts
You should see a tab that can be pushed down...very simple operation!-no tools required.
There are a couple of fine videos on youtube that give the exact location of the tab-but really-it's easy to see.
Cheers
Yes, I agree! But only if you're talking about the *outer* lights, and on the E92. The OP doesn't mention if it's a sedan, coupe, or convertible either. I can only speak for the coupe, and if those are like mine, and they happen to be the inner taillights, then all you do is unscrew that nut and the whole thing should come out, if I remember correctly that is.

If your car is like mine, well I wonder if your sockets were pre 1/21/08 like mine, which there was an SIB for (but if you're like me, you only find out after it's too late). They added a retention collar, and a few months later they had extended retention clips. I think all the sockets have build dates on them.

If you want to see what my inner ones look like before removal, as well as the outer ones that groundeffect refers to, here are a few pics I took during my fix.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6585098&postcount=30

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. I should have mention that I have the sedan. But you are right, I just needed to remove the one hex nut and the whole assembly came out. I was then able to pop the back off the assembly and replace the bulb. The mistake I made was trying to pop the back off the assembly while the assembly was still on the trunk lid. I am glad I didn't force it out. Could have been bad.

I spent nearly an hour to replace this darn bulb. Now that I have done, it seem like it should have taken 5 minutes :)

Thanks guys!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.