BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. We won't have Nav so I'm trying to plan out as much as I can here before we get to Germany. We're picking up the car on Monday morning 21-Aug and we want to see the following in one day:
+ Linderhof
+ Neuschwanstein
+ Ettal

and we'd like to experience:
+ Bavarian Alps
+ Romantic Road

Could you please look at the Route planner that I pulled from Michelin, and see if I've got this right? (attached)

In your opinion/experience, what is the best route and in what order? We're quite motivated to do all this in one day. And what about our return, just backtrack?

Will we need to cross into Austria?

Any help you can provide is appreciated!! :D

---smytheee

Attachments

·
Happily Driving
7,205 Posts
My opinion: you are trying to do too much in one day, especially if it is the day of the pickup.

Do you also want to do the Bavarian Alps and the Romantic Road on the same day as the castles? Then you are trying to do WAY too much in one day!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me530 said:
Do you also want to do the Bavarian Alps and the Romantic Road on the same day as the castles? Then you are trying to do WAY too much in one day!
Yeah we were thinking of doing everything in one day. But not see every aspect of everything. For example, not do the entire romantic road, just a part of it (the part that is near some of the other sights we will visit).

Still too much?

We have the car one more day following, but we were going to go to Dachau.

Thanks

·
Happily Driving
7,205 Posts
I guess my next question would be: how many days will you be in Europe in total? Also, have you been to Germany before or driven in Europe before?

·
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
162 Posts
As I mentioned in a post a while back, there are some good itineraries in the Michelin Green Guide to Germany and the AAA Spiral Guide to Munich. There's also a book put out by Frommer's on Favorite Automobile Drives in Germany, or something to that effect, but it sounds like you, like me, aren't going to be over long enough to really make good use of it. I've traveled pretty extensively in Europe and several other continents, but never to Bavaria, so I'm really looking forward to it. It does seem like, at least based on what I've read, you are trying to fit a lot into one day. I've got two days after delivery before drop-off and, for what it's worth, am planning to spend Day 1 driving around the lakes and Alpine region south of Munich per the Michelin and AAA itineraries, and Day 2 exploring Munich itself before drop-off. You might check out one or more of the books at your local Borders (where I got mine) or other bookstore to see if it fits the bill. By the way, when are you picking up, as it sounds like we're on a similar time frame?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll be in Munich from the 20th til the 23rd and then London from the 23rd til the 29th. I've been to Germany before (Bremen) and no I haven't driven in Europe before. My husband hasn't either.

However, don't know if this makes any difference because after all, it's still a different country with different rules/practices, but we're both pretty aggressive (not scaredy cats? hehe) and my husband is a recent sheriff deputy academy grad...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lorch92 said:
By the way, when are you picking up, as it sounds like we're on a similar time frame?
21 August!!

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
Looks OK to me - crowded for sure, but if you're motivated...

That map is a little too small to tell, but it looks to me that you will attain most of your objectives:
1. Hitting the Romantic Road as soon as you exit that hwy towards Fuessen.
2. Driving through the alps towards Linderhof.
3. Seeing Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.

Again I suggest to skip the interior in Neuschwanstein (boring and expensive) and instead do the interior at Linderhof, much more impressive. At Neuschwanstein, hike all the way up to Marienbruecke if you can (it's a small bridge that offers you an amzing view of the castle from up top with the valley as the background).

Have a great trip...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adc said:
Looks OK to me - crowded for sure, but if you're motivated...

That map is a little too small to tell, but it looks to me that you will attain most of your objectives:
1. Hitting the Romantic Road as soon as you exit that hwy towards Fuessen.
2. Driving through the alps towards Linderhof.
3. Seeing Neuschwanstein and Linderhof.

Again I suggest to skip the interior in Neuschwanstein (boring and expensive) and instead do the interior at Linderhof, much more impressive. At Neuschwanstein, hike all the way up to Marienbruecke if you can (it's a small bridge that offers you an amzing view of the castle from up top with the valley as the background).

Have a great trip...
thank you! can't wait!!! :angel2:

·
Registered
349 Posts
your plans are very unrealistic. it takes about 2 hours from Munich to get to Fuessen and Neuschwanstein, then given that it is tourist season you will wait hours simply to get into the castle. Then is takes about 45 minutes to get from Neuschwanstein to Linderhof (but well worth the beautiful drive) and you will wait again due to the lines to see the castle. My advice is to enjoy the drives, don't overdue it and stay in the beautiful town of Fuessen. The Romantic Road is long and winding,but it is identical to any other road in Germany, just a 2 lane road. If you are planning to stop along at various cities on the road, it is a great drive, but other wise it is a waste. I drove it from top to bottom over a week, stopping at most places and it was truly enjoyable, but it was the cities such as Rothenburg, Wurzburg, Dinklesbuhl, ect ect that made the drive worthwile.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
disden said:
your plans are very unrealistic. it takes about 2 hours from Munich to get to Fuessen and Neuschwanstein, then given that it is tourist season you will wait hours simply to get into the castle. Then is takes about 45 minutes to get from Neuschwanstein to Linderhof (but well worth the beautiful drive) and you will wait again due to the lines to see the castle. My advice is to enjoy the drives, don't overdue it and stay in the beautiful town of Fuessen. The Romantic Road is long and winding,but it is identical to any other road in Germany, just a 2 lane road. If you are planning to stop along at various cities on the road, it is a great drive, but other wise it is a waste. I drove it from top to bottom over a week, stopping at most places and it was truly enjoyable, but it was the cities such as Rothenburg, Wurzburg, Dinklesbuhl, ect ect that made the drive worthwile.
hi disden,
we're not planning on doing the entire romantic road. just the area near neuschwanstein. as of right now, we're not planning on going inside neuschwanstein but who knows once we see it in person. we may need to cut Ettal out of our scheme.

thanks for your advice!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
smythee-- regardless of where you go, you will have a marvelous time. Bavaria is such a beautiful place, so enjoy the drive in your new car! Have a great time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
disden said:
smythee-- regardless of where you go, you will have a marvelous time. Bavaria is such a beautiful place, so enjoy the drive in your new car! Have a great time.
thank you, we can't wait!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.