BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 323i with the 2.5 straight 6 engine. For the last month I have had problems that seemed to be fuel delivery. I got my check engine light checked, and it said i had a bad fuel pressure regulator and that both camshaft position sensors went off. The problems got worse. A slight ticking started that got louder and louder, and sometimes at what seemed to be random, a large knock would happen. I started to notice a large miss, so I checked the compression in all the cylinders. Every cylinder was fine except number 3. It had less then half the compression then the rest. I can't seem to find what the main problem could be. I have taken several components off and I noticed that the timing chain going from the crankshaft to the cam has slack in it but the tensioner for it seems fine. I need ride to work and in its current state of being apart I can't drive it. Can someone please give me some help or even point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

·
New to this board
136 Posts
How does the #3 spark plug and seen how that looks when you pulled it out to do the compression test? what were the codes?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,341 Posts
How long have you owned this car? Stick, or auto? If stick, did you ever accidentally downshift into too low of a gear, causing the engine to over-rev (aka/"Money Shift") ?

·
Registered
913 Posts
When is the last time the fuel fllter was changed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all of the spark plugs are fine, the only codes that were related to anything were both camshaft knock sensors going off, its an automatic and hasn't been badly treated, and i just replaced the fuel filter about a week before this problem occurred. I have checked it and there is nothing wrong there.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,341 Posts
all of the spark plugs are fine, the only codes that were related to anything were both camshaft knock sensors going off, its an automatic and hasn't been badly treated, and i just replaced the fuel filter about a week before this problem occurred. I have checked it and there is nothing wrong there.
One thing you can be sure of....if they haven`t been recently replaced, your VANOS seals are shot. When this happens, the leaky VANOS unit allows the cams to go to full advance prematurely, which can trigger a false CPS code as well as other related weirdness (i.e., hesitation, stumbling, poor idle quality, etc.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
where are these seals? do you mean the gasket for the entire VANOS unit or are there separate seals within the individual parts?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts