BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Frankfurt in early July and will be there for about 10 hours layover. I am thinking this might be the perfect time to buy this car, but I need info on how it works. Questions:

- I will be flying to Israel for 1 month AFTER flying to Germany, is there any feasible way to have it shipped / delivered to my house after I buy it in Germany??
- I will only be there for 10 hours, is this enough time?
- How much should I expect to pay +/- the options if I buy there AND how much to have it shipped back to my house?
- Should I buy in July or wait for 09's? When will 09's come out and how much will they be compared to 08' ED?
- Would I need to talk to a U.S. dealer and buy it now so it's ready when I go to Germany?

Thanks!
B

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone would see a 10-hour layover in FRA as sufficient to time get to Munich, take delivery, take it to the drop-off location for shipping, and get back to FRA for the next flight. :dunno:

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
I will be going to Frankfurt in early July and will be there for about 10 hours layover. I am thinking this might be the perfect time to buy this car, but I need info on how it works. Questions:

- I will be flying to Israel for 1 month AFTER flying to Germany, is there any feasible way to have it shipped / delivered to my house after I buy it in Germany??
- I will only be there for 10 hours, is this enough time?
- How much should I expect to pay +/- the options if I buy there AND how much to have it shipped back to my house?
- Should I buy in July or wait for 09's? When will 09's come out and how much will they be compared to 08' ED?
- Would I need to talk to a U.S. dealer and buy it now so it's ready when I go to Germany?

Thanks!
B
You don't buy it there, you buy it at a local dealer. try looking at the Wiki as it will answer most of your questions....

Basically you can't do it.... and you are way late in the game on this. Plus 135 come from dealer allocation so they would need a build slot and give it up for you.... good luck on that one!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Get your deal lined-up now for Sept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, it seems if I want to do this the very least I need to do is possibly either changed my destination to munich (if I can) or change the layover timeframe...

I'm in Dallas, TX. Is there any dealership around I can talk to? Or do I just call a non-local dealer? Any recommendations?

·
Freude am Fahren
19,697 Posts
Yea, it seems if I want to do this the very least I need to do is possibly either changed my destination to munich (if I can) or change the layover timeframe...

I'm in Dallas, TX. Is there any dealership around I can talk to? Or do I just call a non-local dealer? Any recommendations?
You need to search in the forum for possible local dealers and perhaps also contact forum sponsors such as Ricki at DiFeo and Adrian and Irv and Philippe.

You also can´t do it on a layover in the sense of a layover being less than a day.

·
*insert witty one liner*
257 Posts
For picking up the car you need to be able to commit an entire day to it I would think. Granted it won't take all day, but a good portion of it. You also need to account for dropping the car off after you pick it up as well.

As the other's have said check out the ED wiki for more information but here's a basic breakdown of what you would have to do:
1.) Go to a local dealership, or if you want the piece of mind use one of the people mentioned by Jspira.
2.) Order the car with your options ( you need to allow AT LEAST 2 months after this until you can pick up the car).
3.) Pay for the car (you can also lease it and still do ED).
4.) Since you already have your trip scheduled, I would recommend changing your plans to include Munich, if you can't commit at least half a day, then I wouldn't bother. Everything I've heard and read says it takes at least two hours.
5.) Pick up the car at the Welt.

Also to answer some of your questions:

It does NOT cost any extra to have the car delivered back to the states. It's the same destination fee all BMW buyers have to pay regardless of Euro Delivery or not.

Euro Delivery ends up being cheaper (for the car, traveling expenses usually negate the savings, however you're already planning on going there anyway.)

10 hours in Frankfurt is no where near enough time to do Euro Delivery. Google Maps lists the drive from Frankfurt to Munich at about 3 and a half hours. A train would be roughly the same.

The 09's are getting a price increase of 1% but this isn't THAT much.

Also one thing to consider is the 08 models have the "exclusivity" (I use that term lightly) factor to them with the "Year One of the One" engraved ring around the Start/Stop button. There's also a book that every owner gets about the Year One 1 series. This doesn't mean much, but some people are sold by these types of things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts