BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my problem I drive a 01 540i msport edition, my tires are getting really bald and it's time for new ones. Currently I have 235/45/zr17 on the front and 255/45/zr17 on the back. Here's my question. On the m sport edition are all rims the same size? The back rims look bigger, ie bigger lips stick out farther than the front. I currently can't afford the tires so my father is helping me out, he wants to throw 235/45/zr17 all the way around to save money. After doing some research I found that they come from the factory with the staggered setup on the 17s, will the 235s fit/ even work on the back rims??? Or do I need the 255s on the back with the msport package

·
Registered
165 Posts
im i the same boat as you, but i think 235's are really stretching it for the rer wheel,i believe the rear wheel should be at least 9in wide so 235 MAY fit but it would look ridiculous and wear out badly. It's probably gonna cost you about $60 to $80 for the pair extra to get at least a 255 width,i say since they are gonna be new tires to definitely get the correct size.

·
Gearhead
1,129 Posts
Richard is right...
If you go w/ 235 wide tires in the back, most tire shops will say that this size would be too narrow to seat properly on the 9", and they may refuse to mount them. HOwever, 245/45rmm on 8 or 9" wide wheel would be within an acceptable width range and will fit well on the e39 w/ no rubbing or problems. This is the square tire width to go with, 245mm, for our stagger wheel sizes.

·
CPR ..
564 Posts
Richard is right...
If you go w/ 235 wide tires in the back, most tire shops will say that this size would be too narrow to seat properly on the 9", and they may refuse to mount them. HOwever, 245/45rmm on 8 or 9" wide wheel would be within an acceptable width range and will fit well on the e39 w/ no rubbing or problems. This is the square tire width to go with, 245mm, for our stagger wheel sizes.
took the words right out of my mouth :D This might seem irrelevant at first but hear me out. I have 99' 528i sport. Yes, It doesnt have staggered wheels but I put a 245/45/17 back there with a 235/45/17 in the front and the handling is superb, as long as the tires have the correct air pressure in them and are mounted/ balanced and aligned properly. Basically, try to get the 255's because that was the OEM option, and not only will it be better looking, it will be safer, and your treadlife wouldn't be compromised as opposed to getting the 235's on that "wide a wheel'' . If you cant afford the 255's as I had a problem affording my 245's ( lol ) try to look at different tire prices. For crying out loud I have these tires called sceptors. I bought them 90% because of the awesome tread design , and the other 10% because they were $222.00 shiped to my door for both. The previous set lasted me 6 years !!, so you never know. Also, try to decide if you want all seasons or summer tires, as they will vary in price ranges. Do a little shopping around and you might just be pleasantly suprized. :)

·
Gearhead
1,129 Posts
Any reason why you didn't go w/ 245/45r17?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only place around me that had decent used tires that fit my rims as I currently can't afford new ones I'm between jobs...that's all they had two singles they didn't even have 255s or the 245/45s
To make it worse they screwed up and 45 min later blowout on the left rear tire... I made them get my car and put two brand new tires on even tho I only paid for used.. And they didn't have 245/45s or any 255s in stok at the warehouse they woulda had to order them
I did match 235/40/r17 on the front so currenty my setup is
235/40/r17 on the front and 245/40/r17 on the rear

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have to say it does look kinda silly not I don't have the big fat meaty tires back there I'm just worried about how it will affect my handling

·
Keeping it surreal
43,276 Posts
I do have to say it does look kinda silly not I don't have the big fat meaty tires back there I'm just worried about how it will affect my handling
It won`t....don`t lose any sleep over it. Staggered wheels are nothing more than a marketing gimmick on these cars, they actually make the handling *worse* than a square setup.

Addendum:
As far as the "big fat meaty" business, it`s a non-issue....10 millimeters is less than 1/2 inch difference....like the width of your pinky finger.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wine taste with beer money, smh...
People can't have a little hard luck in their life?

7 months after buying my 530i I lost 80% of my income. Maybe the OP is in the same boat, glad to see people can be understanding. :rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
This thread should get a lot of hits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts