BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check engine light has come on today and I got the code read and it was P0440, which was EVAP Emission Control. What should I go about fixing the problem, or even diagnosing the problem????????? Please let me know what route to go with fixxing the car?????? Thanks Everyone.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I suggest having the codes reset, then wait and see if they come on again. As long as the performance is not different, give it another chance.:thumbup:

·
Registered
143 Posts
yes have codes cleared, 9 times out of 10 on an evap emis code the gas cap was not tightened or the tank was filled with engine running, so make sure you tighten cap and dont fill with engine running and if code comes back then you will have to take to a shop and have evap system smoke tested to find leak

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another note...

I too, had similar codes, and I replaced the gas cap...reset light...NO MORE LIGHTS!!
Good Luck:bigpimp:

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I get a new gas cap, where should I buy one at. The Dealer or any Auto Parts Store????

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased a cap from Autozone today and had them reset my light, it hasnt come back on since that but its only been a day. I will se what happens within the next couple of days.

·
Infamous039
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The light came on again ( Couple Days Later ), after purchasing the gas cap from Autozone and resetting the light. What should I do know?????? Purchase a gas cap from the dealer and try it or does it really matter where I buy the gas cap?????

·
Registered
408 Posts
Infamous,
I had the same code yesterday. Did you ever purchase a cap from the dealer and did that solve the problem? I'm going to hit up the local Autozone and reset the code myself and see if it comes back on.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
On the cap you have there is an 0 ring--take the 0 ring off and on the outside of the 0 ring use some Permatex Ultra Black (advance Auto) and fill in the outside edge of the 0 ring
Let it sit up over night and put back on the cap--that will solve your sealing problem--if the code comes back after that I would look at replacing your purge valve

·
Registered
408 Posts
Poolman,
So you're saying that after I reset the CEL and replace/fix the cap...that should fix any seal problem that may have caused the CEL to come on in the first place. If not, consider changing out the purge valve?

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Yep--thats what I'm a saying pilgrim--The gas cap fix worked for me--the code thats thrown is pointing towards the purge valve--I was pointed towards the gas cap by
BMW tech on one of the forums--he said most likely that it would be the cap--after looking at it and seeing that 0 ring I decided to give it a go with the Ultra Black
Hope that helps

·
Registered
408 Posts
Poolman,
Thanks! Went to Autozone cleared the code and no more CEL!!!! I played it safe and bought the gas cap from the dealer though. Oh well, better safe than sorry. : )

·
Registered
408 Posts
True that. In the meantime, I'll enjoy not seeing the CEL every time I drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.