BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

After I replaced the CCV on my 97 BMW 528i found one small hose to be disconnected (attached photo)
Can't find the little metal tube where the end of the vacuum hose should go, real-oem and bmwfans.info diagram shows it under the intake (photo attached), tried everything but can't locate the [email protected] thing.
:mad:
Has anyone disconnected and reconnected this hose (black with a white stripe)
Help anyone?

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Top left side of engine side wall.

Okay you know where the vanos solenoid is....you know where the Intake cam pos sensor is go right a few inches and then down a few inches you will see a steel tube for the your vacuum hose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you cn90, your work and pictures you have posted in the past have helped me a lot with my projects, however in this case the CCV job was a success except the [email protected] vacuum hose, your picture shows the vacuum hose going in and out of the rectangle distribution switch with a connector, but I need to know where the end of the vacuum hose goes to?
Yesterday I had removed everything from that area around the intake (p.s. oil filter cap, ccv, cables, hoses, trottle body, air filter box, maf etc.) put my hand under the intake, reached about 3/4 of it and still no dice...I only found one nipple(tube) for vacuum hose and it was occupied by the fuel pres.reg. vacuum hose? should there be another nipple/tube? where to look? I have found a picture of an upside-down intake (attached), so maybe someone can pin-point where the vacuum hose should be attached to? thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Top left side of engine side wall.

Okay you know where the vanos solenoid is....you know where the Intake cam pos sensor is go right a few inches and then down a few inches you will see a steel tube for the your vacuum hose.
message to 16valex, thanks for your help, but what I need to know is where does the vacuum hose go at the very end of it? the vacuum line starts from the air pump (mushroom looking) on the passenger side of the engine, it starts as a short rubber vacuum hose, then it continues thru the steel line around the front of the engine which then connects to a rubber hose again (black with a white stripe) goes into the rectangle switch box with a connector, then continues thru the cylinder shaped "one way valve" and it ends as a black rubber hose...where does this end go? as per above diagram it should connect to the intake but where? thanks!

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
This is the reason when removing complex setup like Intake Manifold, it must be done systematically, allowing time to memorize the setup.
- Carefully label every hose, wire with masking tape (#1, #2 etc.)
- Take pics
- Draw diagram
- Try to do everything in one day so your memory is fresh.
Always spend a good 4-5 min staring at the setup to "memorize" the routing of hoses, electrical setup as much as possible.
The computer and digital cameras have turned us (myself) included into complacent people relying on some pics to do this kind of job when in reality this job can be done with:
- Plain-old masking tape
- Hand-drawn diagram and you guess it right...
- A sharp brain (do this on a Saturday so one is relaxed!!!). Nothing beats a sharp mind and 4-5 min of memorizing things before removing this bunch of spaghetti under the Intake Manifold.

--------------
FYI, that "mushroom-looking" thing is the S.A.S. Air Valve:

The Vacuum Hose receives vacuum from the metal tube which is connected to the Electric Air Valve.
The Electric Air Valve receives its vacuum from the Intake Manifold via the one-way Valve (the round Black and White device in your picture). The White part of this device must face toward the Electric Air Valve.
According to your picture, it is correctly facing the Electric Air Valve, which can be seen in the pic in post #2 above. So you are OK with this directional setup:

The Black part of this one-way-valve device has a hose that must be connected to the "T-shaped" vacuum device. In my DIY on CCV, you can see where this hose should go in Step #6. I redraw the diagram in Large Blue Arrow so you can see where it should go. Basically it goes to area labeled "Hose between Electric Air Valve & T-shaped Vacuum device":

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
message to 16valex, thanks for your help, but what I need to know is where does the vacuum hose go at the very end of it? the vacuum line starts from the air pump (mushroom looking) on the passenger side of the engine, it starts as a short rubber vacuum hose, then it continues thru the steel line around the front of the engine which then connects to a rubber hose again (black with a white stripe) goes into the rectangle switch box with a connector, then continues thru the cylinder shaped "one way valve" and it ends as a black rubber hose...where does this end go? as per above diagram it should connect to the intake but where? thanks!
Okay, I've got you now. It's the other end you want to know.

If you stand on the left side looking at the throttle body of the engine.
The hose goes over to the left of the throttle body.
Then it goes straight up vertical and connects to the bottom of the intake to the air valve just behind the throttle body. You can not see but you can feel it. Here is a picture I just took this morning.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
This is the reason when removing complex setup like Intake Manifold, it must be done systematically, allowing time to memorize the setup.
- Carefully label every hose, wire with masking tape (#1, #2 etc.)
- Take pics
- Draw diagram
- Try to do everything in one day so your memory is fresh.
Always spend a good 4-5 min staring at the setup to "memorize" the routing of hoses, electrical setup as much as possible.
The computer and digital cameras have turned us (myself) included into complacent people relying on some pics to do this kind of job when in reality this job can be done with:
- Plain-old masking tape
- Hand-drawn diagram and you guess it right...
- A sharp brain (do this on a Saturday so one is relaxed!!!). Nothing beats a sharp mind and 4-5 min of memorizing things before removing this bunch of spaghetti under the Intake Manifold.

--------------
FYI, that "mushroom-looking" thing is the S.A.S. Air Valve:

The Vacuum Hose receives vacuum from the metal tube which is connected to the Electric Air Valve.
The Electric Air Valve receives its vacuum from the Intake Manifold via the one-way Valve (the round Black and White device in your picture). The White part of this device must face toward the Electric Air Valve.
According to your picture, it is correctly facing the Electric Air Valve, which can be seen in the pic in post #2 above. So you are OK with this directional setup:

The Black part of this one-way-valve device has a hose that must be connected to the "T-shaped" vacuum device. In my DIY on CCV, you can see where this hose should go in Step #6. I redraw the diagram in Large Blue Arrow so you can see where it should go. Basically it goes to area labeled "Hose between Electric Air Valve & T-shaped Vacuum device":

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379225

cn90, thank you for all your help and the pcs and yes, you are 100% right, sharp mind is a must!!! for some projects can easily turn into a nerve-wracking nightmare....
anywho in the meantime I found me some sweet pics from the web with the exact location of the vacuum hose (with the same hose cut off and sticking out of the intake)
so this weekend I will be re-inventing the wheel :)

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Oh, this post is exectly what I'm looking for!!

I'm about to change all vacuum hoses and I was looking for ID of that "much thicker" hose (3) on picture that matko attached.

cn90 also noted that it should be changed with staddard vacuum line but no mentionned about ID.

Does anybody who did that remember the ID of that hose that comes from EPA valve?

And, what's that EPA valve anyway so I can look up at realoem?

Thanks!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Oh, this post is exectly what I'm looking for!!
I don't think I added this to the list of CCV references ... so ... I'll add it either as a crosslink or as a bestlink so that others can find this easier in the future.

- How to test the crankcase ventilation (aka CCV, CVV, PCV, CPV, & OSV) pressure regulating valve system (1) & a video of oil separator quacking chubacca noise (1) & vacuum leaks due to holes in one or more of the five CCV hoses (1) (2) (3) or frozen or torn diaphragms (1) & a clogged CCV (1) causing pressure in the crankcase and smoke in the exhaust necessitating CCV system overhaul (M54,M54,M54,M54, & M54 observations) (M52,M52) (M52TU) (M62,M62) ('99 528i) ('98 528i); usually replaced with the insulated CCV upgrade (1).

I'm about to change all vacuum hoses
See also:
- How to locate all the vacuum hoses in the E39 engine bay (1)

what's that EPA valve anyway
Doing a /epa in the acronyms thread:
- BMW E39 technoterms, acronyms, glossary, definitions slang, technical terms, abbreviations (1)

It's not there! So, it's either not a bona-fide BMW abbreviation ... or ... it's rarely (if ever) used in the forums ... since every abbreviation/acronym that I didn't know I put in that thread over the past year or so.

(I'm a good test case 'cuz I don't inherently know 'any' of these BMW acronyms.)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks Blue but I already read that link regarding vacuum hoses several times and figured out all hoses related to secondary air pump... Now I have 2 more bigger hoses that cn90 mentionned in his CCV post and matko showed here... Looks like I will remove and measure them as soon as I have a chance...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I***8217;m also having an issue with hoses. I was changing the perve valve (there is the electronic plug and then two hoses 1 going straight down and the other snaking down looking like it snakes back towards he back of the engine. That connection popped off and I don***8217;t know where it connects. Also right where the purge valve connects there***8217;s another small vacuum hose that***8217;s not connected to anything right near that purge valve and it***8217;s open where should that connect? Along with another open similar hose on the back right open aswell. Please tell me someone has the answer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.