Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family trip to NY at the end of August.

Could someone give some recommendations on some nice hotels in the Manhatten area?

Mom wants to be close to the majority of the tourist stops so I'm assuming Manhatten is the place to be.

Something nice but not in the range of places like the Waldorf Astoria and the like.

TIA

·
5,820 Posts
Could try the Windsor Hotel on 57th (?) and 6th. Reasonable for NYC especially on Fri and Sat stay. Older but OK. Great location, 2 blocks from Central Park, 5th Ave, 12 blocks from Times Square.

·
O.G.
8,376 Posts
Clem, my suggestion would be to use Expedia, Travelocity, etc to find the some options (they rank the hotels with stars). There are plenty of good place to stay in Manhatttan, and a lot of the best deals are online. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
I agree with Spiderm0n. You can get a pretty good deal, even at the Waldorf if you use Expedia or Priceline. I would say a good deal is $120-$150/night for a queen room.

Better deals can be had in Lower Manhattan which could really use the business... you can get close to $100/ni at the Marriott down there.

-Al

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
Try the Fitzpatrick (Lexington Ave. at 56th Street). I also hear good things about the W Hotel, although I can't comment on prices.

There are two Sheratons on 7th Avenue at 52nd street - literally kitty-corner across the intersection from each other. I don't think their prices are outrageous. A Hilton is on 6th Ave. (Avenue of the Americas) at 54th Street.

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
fuselier said:
I also hear good things about the W Hotel, although I can't comment on prices.
$150/night, tiny rooms. I stayed at the W on Lex... it was ok, but I've had much better for the same price.

I would recommend avoiding the Ian Schrager hotels too unless you're 3 feet tall. Those rooms are uncomfortably small.

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Spiderm0n said:
Even for Asians? :)
Yes. Except for the 2 foot Asians. They seem to be fairly comfortable in the shoebox sized hotel room.

·
Here since day one
7,180 Posts
Occasionally My wife & I will spend a night or two at the Mariott Marquis in TIme Square . . . It has the rotating Restaurant and has parking right on the premises.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's help. Got reservations at the Roosevelt. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anyone have any recent suggestions for hotels in Manhattan...?
Wife and I are heading there in ~ 3 weeks, and all I'm seeing are places for $400+ /night (I've tried priceline up to $200, but haven't been successful). Would like to stay under $250, if possible.

·
Banned
9,625 Posts
sunilsf said:
Wife and I are heading there in ~ 3 weeks, and all I'm seeing are places for $400+ /night (I've tried priceline up to $200, but haven't been successful). Would like to stay under $250, if possible.
:D

Attachments

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
sunilsf said:
If you're not real picky, you might try the Edison Hotel on W47th. It's very near Times Square, on "restaurant row". It is an older Art Deco style hotel, might not be your taste. Rooms start at about $150/night. It is somewhat hit or miss; I've heard great rooms and lousy rooms.

** edit: scratch that recommendation... just read the epinions reviews... if your wife is anything like mine, she prob won't be impressed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Scott ZHP said:
If you're not real picky, you might try the Edison Hotel on W47th. It's very near Times Square, on "restaurant row". It is an older Art Deco style hotel, might not be your taste. Rooms start at about $150/night. It is somewhat hit or miss; I've heard great rooms and lousy rooms.
Thanks, I will check it out.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Okay... still looking for suggestions/recommendations.
Got some ideas from Lonely Planet last night, but so far most of those places are unavailable.

·
only one screen name
8,456 Posts
I liked the Millenium... a few blocks from times square, nice feel to it, and not too pricey (hotels.com)

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
I use the Affinia Dumont when in the City. It is on E 34th between 3rd and Lex. Very nice place. Close walk to the subway (as an ex-NYer, I go everywhere on the subway) and an all-night deli on 3rd Ave (liverwurst on rye at 3am! :D ). You can check it out on their corporate site at www.affinia.com

--pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts