BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently had someone rear end me in my beautiful E60. The other guy had GEICO and we all know how shit they are. They want to total my car because the price to fix it is 7k and my car value according to them is 6k.
I am fighting at the moment with all the receipts from FCP euro and BMW. Basically the car is mechanically all new. Including oil pan gasket, engine mounts, transmission mounts, diff mounts, all new control arms front and back, new sachs shocks and struts, all new hardware in suspension ( MEYLE and LEMFORD only), brakes including fluid, hoses are new ( Zimmerman and Akebono, fluid is Castrol racing brake fluid ). and many more under the bonnet parts. Transmission was also serviced twice by me. new fluid, solenoids and all gaskets and pans.... and the list goes on.. I also have switchback led angel eyes by removing the lens, quad bixenon setup
and led all over the car. So it is definitely worth a lot more than what GEICO is saying.
Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Sky Vehicle Cloud

In the event that I do have to buy a new used car, I was lookin at f10 with N55 or the N63 engine. I cannot afford to get a loan on the newer 2016 or 2015 cars since they are way above my budget.
I have read in some of the threads that N55 is a damn good engine and much better reliability compared to the N54. On the other hand N63 is tempting... I did want a v8TT for a long time. But I read in lot of posts that 2014 and below are shit.
BMW did give a CCP but I am not sure on how good it is after the CCP.

I am not shy to DIY. All the work done on my previous is DIY in the parking lot. But I am not willing to spend a lot on parts and work every weekend.
I found two really good deals, one for 2013 535xi and the other one is 2014 550xi. Both have close to 100k.

I am yet to test drive them. Could you all please tell me your experiences with these two engines. I do not want to go with the N20 because of reliability issues and not enough power.

Please advise.
TIA

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The N55 likely has better drivability. Max torque kicks in at about 1,200 rpm vs 2,000 rpm for the N63. I have had both and the N63 has noticeable turbo lag when not in sport mode. The problems with N63 are 2013 and earlier. The N63TU came out in 2014 and the CCP doesn't apply to that engine.

My N55 spun a main bearing at 115,000 miles and I changed oil at 1/2 BMW intervals, about every 5,500 miles. My N63TU has had zero problems with normal maintenance and I am at 91k miles. I did notice some cracking on the rear giubo and upper diff mount and I will be fixing those before the end of the fall. I'm replacing my front brakes this weekend for the first time. The N63 was notorious for oil consumption but my N63TU uses about 1 quart per 6,000 miles.

N20 is a fine engine and after 2/2015 production the timing chain issues have been corrected. My son's 328i has the N20 engine and I am always surprised by how much power it has and how nice it is driving backroads and highways. But that might be because I miss my 2007 335i 6sp so so much?

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The N55 likely has better drivability. Max torque kicks in at about 1,200 rpm vs 2,000 rpm for the N63. I have had both and the N63 has noticeable turbo lag when not in sport mode. The problems with N63 are 2013 and earlier. The N63TU came out in 2014 and the CCP doesn't apply to that engine.

My N55 spun a main bearing at 115,000 miles and I changed oil at 1/2 BMW intervals, about every 5,500 miles. My N63TU has had zero problems with normal maintenance and I am at 91k miles. I did notice some cracking on the rear giubo and upper diff mount and I will be fixing those before the end of the fall. I'm replacing my front brakes this weekend for the first time. The N63 was notorious for oil consumption but my N63TU uses about 1 quart per 6,000 miles.

N20 is a fine engine and after 2/2015 production the timing chain issues have been corrected. My son's 328i has the N20 engine and I am always surprised by how much power it has and how nice it is driving backroads and highways. But that might be because I miss my 2007 335i 6sp so so much?
The 3 series is different animal completely. I had an 04 330ci ZHP and then moved to 08 E60 528i. The difference in drivability is huge. both have same or similar power but damn, the 3er could shift.. i loved it.. had to sell it at 200k because I needed 4 doors.

This is getting kind of hard to choose b/w n55 and n53tu now.... only time will tell. I will keep yall updated once I make a decision..!!
I just moved from Texas to Maine so heated everything is a must and all f10 cars I am looking at have heated steering wheel and seats which is good...I am leaning towards comfort more and less towards power now...!!!

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,137 Posts
buy back your old car

·
Registered
5 Posts
I owned a 2011 535i followed by a 2014 550i, both xDrive. Like previously mentioned 2014 and later has the N63TU (a ton more reliable then the N63). Having had both, let me tell you, the V8 is amazing. Nothing against the N55, it was plenty strong but nothing like the brutal power of the N63TU. If you can find the right 550, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re like me and get the 535 first you’ll just always be wondering what you’re missing out on.

·
Glfbggy
842 Posts
What you've invested in maintenance does not have that great an affect on the value. The value is set by the market. Your best bet is to find comparables and provide that information to fight their estimate.

Data can set you free.

·
Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,742 Posts
If your car is totaled can you keep it? Take the $6K and part-out the wreck if you have room for it (wheels, seats, engine, transmission etc. all have some value).

·
Officially a BMW Addict
1,137 Posts
Avoid any N63. Get a 535 n55 and you'll be good.

·
Registered
2008 BMW 528i
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your car is totaled can you keep it? Take the $6K and part-out the wreck if you have room for it (wheels, seats, engine, transmission etc. all have some value).
Could you please look at this and tell me if I can just swap out the metal bar that is damaged with one from a Junk yard ? I know I would have to have the back frame where the trunk latches on fixed. Apart from that I can find every other piece in the junkyard.
Any suggestions ??
TIA
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Hood Motor vehicle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts