BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey-

While on a road trip from Chicago to Detroit, the car gave me an error messaged that stated "oil at minimum". I just got the car on June 7th! I had to put a quart of oil in the car. In addition, while in the middle of nowhere, the SOS did not work. I guess the satellite isn't all that in rural areas. Isn't that strange to need oil so soon. I spoke with a dealer in Ann Arbon who told me what oil to purchase and put in there and he says its fairly common because in Germany, they don't feel it up. I'm still not entirely sold.

What do you guys think?

Doug

·
Happily Driving
7,201 Posts
I didn't need to add a quart in 8,100 miles, at which time I had the oil changed. How many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Doug,

Can I ask how you drive your car?? Are you very aggressive when you drive it or do you drive it less aggressive I guess can be the term.

Just wondering if the oil consumption is more pronounced with a more aggressive driving habit.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My E39 M5 drank oil on long trips (300-400 miles - 1-2 quarts) - around town almost nothing. So far the E60 isn't doing that yet.....but I have my spare oil in the trunk (those velcro holders they sell work great) just in case.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
doug35 said:
Isn't that strange to need oil so soon.
No, it isn't. Universal anecdotal evidence here on the fest indicates this is normal for BMW engines to require oil in the first 5-10K. My M54 engine (same engine as in your car I believe) in particular was a quart low at 6500, not used a drop since.

·
Registered
400 Posts
doug35 said:
Hey-

While on a road trip from Chicago to Detroit, the car gave me an error messaged that stated "oil at minimum". I just got the car on June 7th! I had to put a quart of oil in the car. In addition, while in the middle of nowhere, the SOS did not work. I guess the satellite isn't all that in rural areas. Isn't that strange to need oil so soon. I spoke with a dealer in Ann Arbon who told me what oil to purchase and put in there and he says its fairly common because in Germany, they don't feel it up. I'm still not entirely sold.

What do you guys think?

Doug
I am reasonably sure sos isnt going to work anywhere a cell phone wont.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
doug35 said:
Hey-

What do you guys think?

Doug
Besides the total mileage on your car, how well did you stick to the break-in suggestions? The latter has a huge impact on oil consumption down the line. I believe that is why different folks experience different levels of oil consumption. That, and of course your current driving style...

·
Registered
7 Posts
... Vaporizes too

doug35 said:
Hey-

What do you guys think?

Doug
Well, you got to keep in mind that some oil vaporizes while driving in the summer heat - I changed my oil at 7500 and used Mobil-1 0-40 grade - it did not lose a drop ever since, probably because it vaporizes less than Castrol 5-30, or What BMW uses.

/Z

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All-

I have taken two trips to Detroit since I got the car, that's 500 roundtrip miles for each trip. I currently have 3100 miles on the car. I guess I can sometimes be a bit agressive, I'm guilty. However, I'm not as agressive in this car as I was with my Maxima. The wierd thing about the oil message is once I got to my desntination and turned the car off, the message didn't come back on. I just replace the oil. I can honestly remember that when I got the car, I check the oil level and it was always at the last to lines, so I really don't think they ever topped it off anyway. My cell phone worked because that's how I called my dealer, so I would have assumed SOS would have worked also. With the break in rules, I think I did a pretty good job of sticking to them, the only difference is I took a road trip fairly quickly, but I remained at a constant speed with out a lot of acceleration and braking. I'm not sure.

Thanks-

Doug

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
doug35 said:
<snip>
but I remained at a constant speed with out a lot of acceleration and braking.
<snip>

Doug
There is your answer. Remaining at constant vehicle and engine speed during break-in leads to high oil consumption.

·
friend of the marque
4,943 Posts
There is your answer. Remaining at constant vehicle and engine speed during break-in leads to high oil consumption.
Thread bump due to my searching.

Just got the low oil warning message on the way to work this morning.

13xxx mi on the ODO

Computer still says 3000 until service :dunno:

I'll top it off and go from there.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is another reason we need dipsticks...

the last thing you want to do is overfill an engine because of some sensor malfunction which causes the computer to tell you that you need to add oil. I have not liked BMW's decision to eliminate the dipstick and this is just more ammo.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Thread bump due to my searching.

Just got the low oil warning message on the way to work this morning.

13xxx mi on the ODO

Computer still says 3000 until service :dunno:

I'll top it off and go from there.
According to my SA here in NJ as long as your milage is within the 2k Miles of service they will change your oil for you. Had mine topped off a few months ago and got it changed last month.

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,012 Posts
There is a batch of bad sensors out there. I would get the message and check through iDrive to be told the oil level was below minimum (red bars on the pictograph). Would shut off the car and wait 5 minutes, then check again. Voila - oil level normal, all green bars.

Dealer was familiar with the problem, and replaced my oil level sensor no questions asked.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can't beleive that no one has had there oil changed since they purchased the vehicle. Here in Germany the dealer even recomended me to change my oil at 1200 miles. I have close to 17k and have changed it 4 times (1200 mile intial and 5k intervals). No consumption issues. I read a thread on the 3 series discusion, that was warning consumers to steer away from used BMW's that followed the recomended service intervals.
I think it was an article from Edmunds someone had posted. I will see if I can't dig up the link.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
This is the year 2007... Engines are better built durability wise, Oil is better than before.
We dont have cars built in the 1900s anymore. I follow the BMW reccommended maintanence. They are the ones who built & designed the cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I got MY 07 530i last year, I had to top it up around 8k miles then got the oil change around 16k as recommended by the iDrive. My friend, who is NOT a mechanic or anything, says that it's pretty regular with new cars to need top ups. I don't know though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This is the year 2007... Engines are better built durability wise, Oil is better than before.
We dont have cars built in the 1900s anymore. I follow the BMW reccommended maintanence. They are the ones who built & designed the cars.
Are you sure about that. If a manufacture built a vehicle that would last you forever, you wouldn't have a need to buy another vehicle from them later. They don't want it to last forever, and look foward to lining there pockets from spare part sales, and labor repair sales after 50k miles or 4 years.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So, what kind of failures would one get if the oil was run for too long? My guess is that one could expect bearing failures, camshaft problems etc etc. Agree?
Well, when was the last time we saw a posting with that kind of catastrophic engine failure? I don't recall ever seeing anyone complain about major, catastrophic engine failure. Granted, the E60 population is still at relatively low mileage, but you would think someone has at least 200K miles on their car by now. Lots of stuff goes wrong on our E60s, but major engine failure is not one of them.
As to the argument posted that car manufactures are setting the service interval high so that they can sell us a new car, I think it is more likely that the Jiffi-Lupes of this world are setting their (3,000 mile) interval that low so that they can sell more oil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts