Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so my belt was recently taken off, i believe the tensioner was broken or gave out after that i can smell the belt burning. What brand should i get? Im trying to avoid OEM but dont want to be too cheap and end up causing more headaches. thanks.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,224 Posts
Hey so my belt was recently taken off, i believe the tensioner was broken or gave out after that i can smell the belt burning. What brand should i get? Im trying to avoid OEM but dont want to be too cheap and end up causing more headaches. thanks.
Buy the Contitech kit for your model. It will include everything you need -- tensioner, idler, belt. The parts will be made by the same people the made the parts for BMW.

BUT BUT BUT....tell us more about the belt. Did the belt come off and wrap around the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. If the belt did come off and wrap around the pulley, DO NOT START the car until you research the infamous problem of the belt getting wrapped around and shredded and pulled into the engine though the front main seal and all kinds of consequent problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy the Contitech kit for your model. It will include everything you need -- tensioner, idler, belt. The parts will be made by the same people the made the parts for BMW.

BUT BUT BUT....tell us more about the belt. Did the belt come off and wrap around the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer. If the belt did come off and wrap around the pulley, DO NOT START the car until you research the infamous problem of the belt getting wrapped around and shredded and pulled into the engine though the front main seal and all kinds of consequent problems.
thanks brother, a lot of good reviews on this and not bad looks like under 150. The mechanic im using is very good, i try not to insult them, who am i? Haha but i do appreciate all the advice! Ill mention it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

any place in particular you bought? not seeing it for the 07+ models just 00-06

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks again will get this ordered. My truck is actually shutting off when it rains out... as in completely just shutting off. The mechanic said he thinks alternator but they couldent diagnose it when they had it, tests were showing fine for voltage.

So i realized it only happens in the rain (i have the bottom metal shroud off) to make sure the seal recently done isnt leaking again. Today the belt started to smell real bad after i drove it. So my assumption at this point is the belt just has to be loose. I can also hear a small squeak when i rev it in park.

A mechanic took the belt off a week ago so.... very well the tensioner just gave out upon re-installing it. Some odd issues here for sure but ill start here.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I think I bought mine at the bmw parts dept at local dealer as I wanted it that day.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
I remember it was under 200, I have the 3.5 gas engine. rallye I blv is the cheapest for parts btw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts