BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp sensor reads "- 4 0 degrees" on my instrument display. I bought the BMW TIS disc, but it's only generalized. I didn't really think it was a problem until I realized that it must be affecting my climate control and possibly other sensors as well. No matter what temp I set the heat to, it's full hot. I finally realized that the outside sensor must be tied to that control, as if the car thinks it's in below zero conditions.

I have also seen my mileage suffer, so I am guessing that the fuel management is also getting some cues from the outside temp. I bought "Somebody's" TIS, which is worthless and the graphic support is only for 6 cyl. models and therefore my V-8 has few directions. The front facia had been replaced prior to my purchase and I keep hearing that the sensor is "somewhere" on the right side and was probably not reconnected when the installation was done. If anyone has either the directions to get to it, or possibly a graphic they can post, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

"You can't run from the wind, you face the music, trim your sails and keep going"

·
Registered
295 Posts
It is located at front right hand side inside undertray, with your symptoms it is probably broken or missing. Easy fix, purchase new outside air temp probe just plugs in similar push electrical socket. Sorrry no pics replaced mine at least twice. Cost around £20.00

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll cross my fingers...

It is located at front right hand side inside undertray, with your symptoms it is probably broken or missing. Easy fix, purchase new outside air temp probe just plugs in similar push electrical socket. Sorrry no pics replaced mine at least twice. Cost around £20.00
Thanks for your input. I will cross my fingers and hope all I need to do is plug it back in...:roundel:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I found it just forward of the front passenger wheel in a slight recess. I jiggled the wires going into the unit then traced the wires and tried to make sure connections were good. The effort was successful and my temp now reads out fine and climate control works properly. I believe the heating elements for the outside mirrors are also connected to it.
If yours is damaged or missing, I believe a replacement is around $35.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you think the a/c is tied to it also? Don't make me post another A/C thread! My a/c is currently out. The fan blows but only warm or hot air.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The a/c is connected. Not sure that the sensor is the only cause of your a/c blowing hot, however. There could be other factors in play here. First step would be the check the sensor. It costs nothing and it might be the only cause of the a/c not working.

·
Registered
473 Posts
buy the sensor from dealer and DIY. Sensor is located on the right front side and is housed in the lower wheer well / under bumper cover - its the piece that gets broken typcally when you park too close to a parking stone or run over something. The sensor looks like a long pointy probe with fins on the bottom part. Very easy to remove, probably don;t even need to lift car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts