BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
BMW Wheel Information You Need To Know

The wheel centre bore on the 1995 is 72.6mm, the offset is 23mm.
Things you need to know:
1) Offset
2) BMW OEM wheel information
NOTE: Wheel information is in German, and ET is the wheel offset.
3) Centre bore adapter
4) Wheel spacers
5) BMW Wheel Spec
6) More BMW Wheel Styles
7) Wheel & Tire Calculator

Keep in mind a 7 series is a very heavy car. OEM wheels are 16 and 17" any larger and you take the chance of bending the wheel if you hit a pothole.
I don't like to use any wheel spacers, it changes the load on the suspension.
eBay links are only for reference.

A quick way to tell what size is the centre bore of a used wheel when shopping.
Take and old credit card, cut the card at 74mm. Measure down to 72mm and cut out a notch. You now have a pocket gauge.

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
Love the pocket gauge idea!! I learn a new trick every now and again - this is a gem!

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
The 3 major wheel specs to consider when looking for BMW wheel compatibility are listed below
  1. wheel bolt pattern
  2. wheel offset range
  3. wheel center bore/hub size

After those 3 specs above, one must also consider TIRE size (some models use a different tire circumference/diameter), wheel width (too wide can get you in trouble), wheel bolt length if you're using wheel adpaters/spacers.

Now that BMW is offering AWD across the board on every model...it has changed the wheel compatibility somewhat. It used to be that the 5/6/7/8/Z8 models could share the same wheels (with the exception of the e39 with its larger 74.1mm hub)...and the 3/X/Z3/Z4 shared the same major 3 specs. But now, some of the AWD models have higher offset ranges than their RWD sedans/coupes cousins...and you have the e70/e71 X5M/X6 models which have a split axle wheel hub size. :yikes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
BMW Wheel Information You Need To Know

The wheel centre bore on the 1995 is 72.6mm, the offset is 23mm.
Things you need to know:
1) Offset
2) BMW OEM wheel information
NOTE: Wheel information is in German, and ET is the wheel offset.
3) Centre bore adapter
4) Wheel spacers
5) BMW Wheel Spec
6) More BMW Wheel Styles
7) Wheel & Tire Calculator

Keep in mind a 7 series is a very heavy car. OEM wheels are 16 and 17" any larger and you take the chance of bending the wheel if you hit a pothole.
I don't like to use any wheel spacers, it changes the load on the suspension.
eBay links are only for reference.

A quick way to tell what size is the centre bore of a used wheel when shopping.
Take and old credit card, cut the card at 74mm. Measure down to 72mm and cut out a notch. You now have a pocket gauge.

Does anyone recommend using factory lugs for this setup. I have the type 95 wheels but I see the aftermarket locking lug set seems to be a bit short. Or do these wheels not fit pro

·
Registered
12,892 Posts
Does anyone recommend using factory lugs for this setup. I have the type 95 wheels but I see the aftermarket locking lug set seems to be a bit short. Or do these wheels not fit pro
I would recommend using your old wheel bolts. If they are in bad shape...you can paint them...or buy new bolts that are for the e38.

The e65/e66 uses a wheel bolt with a different thread pattern...but the bolt fitment is more for the thread in the wheel hub...not the wheel itself...so again, you need to use wheel bolts with the M12x1.5 thread fitment which is what the e38 uses. The length of the wheel bolts are approximately the same...usually somewhere between 26mm-28mm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.