BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All Brand New here

I am going to take the plunge and get a 320d (i know you petrol heads are going to hate me). I am looking at the second hand market and have decided on no earlier than 2002 and all cars must have full servicing and under 120k miles :thumbup:.

You guys are all experts and i have had some scares reading your forums. As a BMW novice (well apart from my dad having a 1975 Alpina A1/3 when i was very young) i would like guidance on what to look out for in second hand cars and what to avoid.

My spending limit is £3500 pounds and i would love to get a car that will last me a long time. (i am willing to service twice a year will care for it like a baby)

Any advice would be greaty appreciated

Andrew

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hi Andrew. Welcome to Bimmerfest!

The most important advice I have, for anyone considering a second-hand BMW, is to get a thorough Pre-Purchase Inspection by a qualified BMW Technician.

The E46 is a great car, but like many other cars, it has some issues. The rear suspension subframe area is an area that should be inspected for any E46 (or E36). Cracks have been reported on a small percentage of the cars. Window regulators are a weakness, but not terribly expensive to replace. The 320d engine was a good reliable engine, but check for harmonic balancer problems. Get a manual transmission, if possible.

Many of us on this forum are in the new world, so I am not sure how much car you can buy for £3500. Try to buy a car that has been over-maintained by a person that is a car fanatic.

Let us know what you find. Pictures are always nice.

:drive:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Welcome. I'm still pretty new myself but the PPI as mentioned above is important because they will nit-pick the car and tell you everything thats wrong. Read the e46 wiki to get acquainted with the e46 as a whole. Expect to do some diy or you'll pay a ton to somebody else. Good luck

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
OP, if you`re willing to dive in and try DIYing, you can save a LOT of money, whereas if you rely solely on a shop to fix what goes wrong, you`ll be perpetually broke, and maybe you should consider something more along the lines of a Toyota Camry or similar car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not a mechanic by any stretch of anyones imagination but i'd rather be skint all the time and have a BMW than rich and have a toyota!!

I am willing to get my hands dirty to keep it running but you do know that i am gonna be on here all the time lol.

I will post pics when i pick one up so that you can see my new pride and joy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.