BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need some advice. What should I do to the lying service advisor.

6K views 74 replies 27 participants last post by  dalekressin 
#1 ·
Brought the car this morning around 9 a.m. because of some issues. I parked the car in the front parking space of the dealer. The service advice told me that he'll take care of everything. The dealer gave me a loaner car. After 3 hours, around 12 noon, I passed by the dealership and my car was still on the same spot. I was thinking probably they're a little busy. So, I went home and did some house work. Around 4:30 pm I still never got a call from them so I decided to stop by at the dealer. I saw my car at the same spot where I left it. I went inside and talk to the service advisor. He told me that they're not done yet with the car but they ran some diagnostic on it by checking his computer. I asked him if the car outside was my car. You know what he told, it wasn't my car. This guy is lying. He told me to come back the next day and I can take the loaner with me. I didn't have time to argue with this guy because I'm on my way to work. I decided to leave the dealer a little pissed off.
I need your advice on what can I do to get this guy. Is there a way to check if they really did something on the car that day? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Absolutely NOTHING.

You want to risk pissing off someone who's got the keys to your car? Plus likely a lot of your personal information?

Swallow your pride, wait for the work to be done, pick up the car, say thank you and be on your way to a different dealership next time you need work done.

I never understand those who feel the need to complain about people who SERVICE you. I'd worry right now that he didn't just send you on your way and have something nefarious planned for your car while it's in service. One of my buddy (okay, my personal mechanic) used to be a master mechanic at a local BMW dealership and he said the stuff that SAs pull on customers that piss them off...You don't want to know.

#7 ·
Absolutely NOTHING.

You want to risk pissing off someone who's got the keys to your car? Plus likely a lot of your personal information?

Swallow your pride, wait for the work to be done, pick up the car, say thank you and be on your way to a different dealership next time you need work done.

I never understand those who feel the need to complain about people who SERVICE you. I'd worry right now that he didn't just send you on your way and have something nefarious planned for your car while it's in service. One of my buddy (okay, my personal mechanic) used to be a master mechanic at a local BMW dealership and he said the stuff that SAs pull on customers that piss them off...You don't want to know.
Different but the same, I've been out to dinner with this couple/friends and it seems she is constantly complaining about something and sending her dinner back. Nothing good can come from this. I have often wondered what they actually did do to her food in addition to correcting her complaint. :dunno:

dj

#4 ·
Enjoy driving the hell out of your free loaner car instead of wearing out your own car - in my book, if the loaner is decent, they can keep my car extra long - saves wear and tear on my own car!

#54 ·
+1

I take my family out to dinner in the loaner... to the place that's 25 miles out of town. :thumbup:

- Mike

#5 ·
If I'm not mistaken, the key fob stores a lot of vital information about your car. I imagine the dealer could have run a certain level of diagnostics just by pulling the information from your key without having to move your car. It's possible that they're being honest with you.

#8 ·
It is possible that someone else moved the car outside and he didn't realize it. I have noticed that BMW service areas are FRANTIC...often 3 people have to locate my keys or the paperwork. Keeping the car for multiple days when they give you a loaner seems like the rule not the exception for me...not a big deal.

djfitter: See the movie "Waiting" for answer to your question.

#9 ·
It is possible that someone else moved the car outside and he didn't realize it. I have noticed that BMW service areas are FRANTIC...often 3 people have to locate my keys or the paperwork. Keeping the car for multiple days when they give you a loaner seems like the rule not the exception for me...not a big deal.

djfitter: See the movie "Waiting" for answer to your question.
It was rhetorical as one of my first jobs was in a restaurant kitchen. More like which of many things did they do. :eeps:

dj

#74 ·
Note to anyone that thinks BMW dealerships are good. We all lie on the advisor ratings when we get our cars so they will treat us well. In fairness, my honest opinion is the dealer where I live is not good, but as much as I hate to admit it, I give them good marks because I'm asking them to do their jobs and service the car. I know if I give them a bad mark, I'll get blackballed and have to really beg next time I want him to do something under warranty because it's amazing what's "not covered" under warranty when they dont want it to be.

I had to 'debate' with them once that the wrong size windshield wiper was installed and it needed to be replaced...he admitted it was the wrong size, but since they didn't have record they did it, and couldn't verify it was streaking (never mind it scratched my hood) they were pushing back...who cares? it's covered under BMW warranty, definaetly a BMW wiper, but maybe was done at a different dealership...but I didn't remember anything that said in the BMW warranty I had to get the warranty work done at only the dealer I purchase the car at. I have a few more stories like this one.

I never experienced this with my other cars...but with BMW I've really not had a good experience with the dealership as they make you feel they're doing you a favor and I keep reading how "you better give them a good mark or suffer the consequences (with loaner, wait time, software upgrade, ...). I'm not sure where I'm going with this, other then to say it sucks we feel we have to do this....

In summary, I will say that the BMW dealer where I live is a main reason I will probably not buy another BMW.

#12 ·
How do you spell O V E R R E A C T I O N?

#15 ·
I would be PO'd if the service guys don't have the car done tomorrow.

#16 ·
+1 -- you have a loaner, relax. use the loaner and let the guys do their job. if it takes an extra few hours or day, so what? I once had my Infiniti in for an oil change and something else, suppose to be a quick job. Dreyer picks up the car from work and leaves a loaner; plan to return the car the next morning. The next morning (fri) the SA calls up and apologizes -- one of their guys called in sick the day before and they haven't even gotten to my car. He's very nice and seems sincerely sorry that the work wasn't done when expected. He asks nicely if they can keep the car until Monday or if I want it back and reschedule later.

I told him to please relax. They've got my old 05 G35; I have their (at that time new) 07 G35 sedan loaner!! looks gorgeous!! I said my only concern was I had a trip planned for the next day and I didn't want to put a bunch of miles on their loaner (actually a BMW club scenic drive; yeah I was the only Infiniti). He said please enjoy the loaner and enjoy the trip! So I get the joy of an awesome road trip in a new car! and yes, no one else in the club was really interested in the car (but if you follow Infiniti, you know the 07+ G35/G37s are MUCH improved from the 03-06 G35s).

I guess I follow the old saying, either stuff can be done well or done quickly, but not both. I always want them done well. If it takes a little longer, so be it. just my .02 . . . .

#18 ·
Enjoy the loaner. Unless you have a manual, the ride of a 328xi cannot get any worse.
: popcorn:

You never know, the SA might be aware that they are slow and make sure that your car gets expedited next time, or throws something in for free as a goodwill gesture. You piss him off, he has emotions and a memory just like you, you will never get anything free, be bottom of the list for a loaner and your car will always take two days to service?:dunno:

#19 ·
+1 be nice to your service guys and sales associates. if you intend to have an ongoing business relationship with them at least.
you have a loaner so I dont why you are worried about when they get your car done, now if they left you without a ride I could understand the impatience

#20 ·
Let us know how it went today.

#22 ·
Yeah. If they gave me a 335iS coupe today as a loaner, they may see me again in November..... 2012.

#27 ·
I really don't understand your conundrum.

For one thing, why do you "check" on the dealer? I wait for them to call me to get the car. What's the point? What exactly are you trying to "get" the SA for?

#28 · (Edited)
Anxiously awaiting whether the SA performed his duties to the OP's satisfaction today.

Also. how'd the loaner do?

#29 ·
So many questions.... so few answers.

Maybe I should do Laguna Seca and come back.

#32 · (Edited)
I've been combing the wire sources: no sign of any assaults on BMW SA's today.

#33 ·
Can one plea bargain a stolen BMW loaner in NJ?

#34 · (Edited)
I just phoned our sheriff down here, Peyote Pete and he said for a stolen BMW loaner perp. the charge can be dropped if his attorney can demonstrate a record of less than all "10's" for this particular NJ SA.

#35 ·
I still didn't get any call from them. It is 2:20 in the afternoon. Anyway, I got a 2010 328i for a loaner. I asked for a stick shift but nothing was available yesterday. I'm hoping that my car will be done either today or tomorrow because I'm leaving for Florida on Thursday. Not sure if I can take the loaner to Florida. I'm going to let them know today and see what they say.

#36 · (Edited)
I doubt whether they will let you drive that loaner from NJ to Florida.

#41 · (Edited)
I got the car around 3:30 pm today. I'm pretty satisfied with what they've done and thanked them also for taking care of my vehicle. My service advisor was very well mannered when he explained to me what they've done.
As for the vibration on the steering wheel when driving at a highway speed. My SA said that all my tires are brandnew but has flat spot on them from being parked for a long time. The mechanic drove the vehicle several times to heat up tires and shimmy is much less. For the delay when accelerating, they reprogrammed the car (As per SIB 240308 DEFECT code IS). Not sure what it means. They checked the brakes, powersteering and suspension. They said everything was fine, but they lubed the suspension. They also cleaned my vehicle.
Thanks guys for all your inputs. Lessoned learned. Be patience and get along with the SA.
The only thing that just got me a little pissed off yesterday when he lied on my face that they brought the car inside the shop which they did not because when I came back after 8hrs yesterday, my car was on the same spot where I left it. I rather have him tell me that they didn't get a chance to service it yesterday rather than making me look stupid. Anyway, but I'm pretty satisfied with what they've done.

#42 ·
...The mechanic drove the vehicle several times to heat up tires...
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. I love it when mechanics use this as an excuse. This is code for "we took it out back and abused it like the village whore it is." Typically involves clutch-dumps for burn-outs (if it's a manual), and high-speed runs for fun and spin-outs and donuts in empty parking lots.

My mechanic's eyes always light-up whenever his "boss" tell him to go put some heat in the tires. :eeps: I personally like to reserve that right for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.