BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i love my BMW but i think something has gone terribly wrong..

I have a 1997 328is automatic with 147k miles on it. It still has a kick to it but a few weeks ago It overheated because the hose for the inner-fan got caught on the coolant hose (who knows why...). Well after this happened we replaced the hose ourselves (other one had a hole in it from the fan) and since then the coolant level has been dropping every few days of use.. like there is some kind of leak. Also ive noticed white smoke when revving the engine parked even after letting it warm up for awhile. when checking the coolant ive noticed that it has a murky muddy color to it and smells bad. I even smell it when i shut the engine off from driving it and retire it for the day. I took it to my mechanic and he did a hydrocarbon test to see if it was a broken headgasket but he said it was not that.

Thanks for any insights on the problem you may have!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would pay to get a second opinion. It could be a cracked water pump or leaking water jacket. A good idea would be to have a pressure test done on the cooling system. If it is the head gasket you will know right away when you start the engine. (Huge Smoke)...
Hopefully you dont have to go thru the expense and the agony.

·
Astigmatic Visionary
2,802 Posts
Does the inside of the oil filler cap look like coffee with cream? If so = blown headgasket and/or cracked head(more likely just headgasket).Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oil cap is not coffe and cream color and there isnt a lot of smoke when the car starts. Thanks for the replies i think it might be the water pump because my Heat doesnt work unless the RPMS get high and when my mechanic said when he checked the code for the check engine light it was some kind of pump.

How much should i be looking to pay for a new water pump?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts